Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Lightning Ice sorceress how?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Shikimakka, Apr 18, 2008. | Replies: 6 | Views: 8298

1. Shikimakka

Shikimakka IncGamers Member

Lightning Ice sorceress how?

HEllo i hve looked around a little im not to farmiliar and only play via tcp with my brother so Im trying to build a sorceresse but im not sure why nobody seems to use Lightning with Ice seems like a good combination to me. Is it necessary to have really good gear to solo Hell. I jsut dont like meteor much but the ice spells i like a lot so is there a build where lightning and orb is included. Also i read lightning is very mana intensive will I ahve to invest some points into mana maybe even warmth? Well im actually quite a noob so please excuse any obvious questions

Merci
  2. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

Re: Lightning Ice sorceress how?

Build a CL/FO Tal's Set using sorc.

CL/FO stands for "Chain Lightning/Frozen Orb". Basically, you max these skills:

1st Frozen Orb
    2nd Lightning/Chain Lightning
    3rd Chain Lightning/Lightning (whichever you didn't max before)
    4th Lightning Mastery
    Rest in Charged Bolt

1-point skills:
    Warmth (mana regen)
    Telekinesis (prereq to Teleport)
    Teleport (no sorc is complete without it)
    Static Field (for boss killing)

Equip full Tal Rasha's Wrappings set, a 27+% Faster Cast Rate Spirit Monarch (You need 156 strength to wear a Monarch), 2x 10 FCR rings (you need 117% to hit FCR breakpoints for Lightning and Chain Lightning; Tal's provides 50%, Magefists 20%, Spirit 27+%, so you need 20% more), Magefists and boots of your choice. For MF, socket Tal's helm and armor with Perfect Topazes.

Stats:

Strength: 156
    Dexterity: base
    Vitality: EVERYTHING ELSE
    Energy: base

I'm really not a pro at CL/FO builds (favoring Meteorbs more), but you can find more info in the build stickies on this forum (Look a few inches/centimeters above your thread).
  3. prion

prion IncGamers Member

you can do it with uniques too. allows you to use a block sheild rather than spirit, this saves strength also.

skills distribution is the same but I think he forgot to mention you should put one in cold mastery ;)

I'm sure everyone does lightning and ice at some point but this late in the ladder it's far easier to get an Infinity so there is just less discussion about it.
  4. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

I didn't mention CM since Tal's Orb provides it. If you decide on Tal's permanently, this is a possible way to go.

Honestly, I have nothing against uniques, but for a dual-element sorc, it is VERY difficult to beat Tal's set. Simply because of the Orb partial set bonuses.

5. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

If he's only playing "via TCP" with his brother, then getting Tal's set might be a little difficult (it literally took me years to find my first Tal's armour in single-player, but I was luckier with the amulet and other stuff).

So, although the previous points are all valid, here's some pointers for someone playing self-found (or near self-found):

1. Chain Lightning is a very mana-dependent skill. If you find yourself running out of mana, try focusing on your Lightning skill instead (Lightning requires about 50% as much mana as Chain Lightning). You'll loose a little crowd control, but you'll gain a good amount of damage as well as the lower mana cost - which is a pretty fair trade off.

2. Look for equipment that provides:
    a) +skills
    b) resistances
    c) Faster Cast Rate
    d) +Life
    e) +mana (+mana per kill is kindof nice too)
    ... ideally, an item will have more than one of those. But if it doesn't have at least one, it's probably not a good item to be using with your sorc.

3. Personally, unless you know what shield you'll be using at the end of the game, I prefer to NOT to try blocking anything with a sorc. You might end up with too little life to suit your needs later in the game. So, in my case, stat points would be geared like:

Strength: 75-90 (enough to equip most of the good equipment for a casting sorc)
    Dexterity: no additional points
    Vitality: Almost every thing that's not in strength
    Energy: A few points don't hurt, but don't push this to more than ~75 total

If you aren't sure about the shield, but would still like to consider blocking, then I'd say ~150 points in Dexterity is acceptable. You probably won't get 75% blocking (i.e. the maximum %) with that, but your life-pool won't be completely screwed like it can be if you choose to pursue 75% blocking with the wrong shield.

Finally, in the Single Player forum is a thread near the top: "ATMA/Flavie/Go-Mule..." ATMA and Go-Mule are applications that can enable you to store some items 'outside' of the game, so if you think that's a nice bow you've found and would like to keep it, but you don't have the inventory space, you can use ATMA/Go-Mule to move it to another location/file/character.

These applications don't allow you to edit your characters or anything else that most people consider "fishy" - they're predominately for easy item-storage for those of us with an offline playstyle.
  6. zackisback

zackisback IncGamers Member

Hey sirpoopsalot, I need some advice regarding single player diablo 2 lod, dexterity usage, and how that program u mentioned towards the end works (ATMA/Flavie/Go-Mule"). First of all, how exactly should I spend my stat and skill points as a noob with this type of sorc build described above; which I am beginning to make in single player... Not sure how well it is going to turn out, but, anyways, why are most people in the forum saying to keep dex at base and not put any points into it for max block or whatever? Also, is it best to start with cold or ice first? Finally, please explain to me in depth about how that program that I described above works; the ATMA one... I am really confused, but from what you said so far about saving inventory space or whatever, I realize that could help me a lot; especially since I have a lot of trouble either single player or bnet with having too many items I don't need in both my inventory and stash.
  7. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

You do realize that this thread is 5 years old. And that sirpoopsalot hasnt been here since Jan -10?

Create your own thread with your questions, and Ill help you myself. ;)