Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Lighting vs Cold vs Arcane vs Fire vs Physical

Discussion in 'Wizard' started by Musashi, Mar 29, 2012. | Replies: 19 | Views: 4857

1. Musashi

Musashi IncGamers Member

Lighting vs Cold vs Arcane vs Fire vs Physical

I really like theme builds and the Cold Wizard seems a popular choice. I was wondering if there was some reason to go with certain damage type theme builds over others. Cold slows enemies as a built in side effect. I can't think of any other damage type that has a secondary benefit unruned and not using any passives.

The passives of course can make certain damage types do additional things or synergize, but I read that they at one time built the game to have the different damage types do different things but gave up on it because they said it just didnt' work.

So, why would I go with anything other than cold damage as my theme?
  2. itstheMZez

itstheMZez IncGamers Member

Re: Lighting vs Cold vs Arcane vs Fire vs Physical

Probably gonna be cold resistance mobs at some point in the game, otherwise I agree certain elemental themed builds do seem ridiculous with the passives. At least thats what I'm hoping for as I'm playing a multi-ele. themed wizard regardless XD
  3. Elfik

Elfik IncGamers Member

To me, the most enticing is actually arcane. The main reason is there are more arcane skills to choose from, and related to that, there is a lack of high-damage aoe spells in the cold, fire and lightning categories (in lightning's case, none). Sleet storm is nice but it's very limited in range and only a runed version of a single target skill. Blizzard is a DoT, or in other words it's a skill that does low damage over a period of time that cannot be stacked. Comet (meteor) is a great cold skill, but it's only one rune variant so it limits the number of cold builds. Fire has meteor, one of the more powerful skills that also has a DoT component. Arcane has arcane orb, and disintegrate.

Is it necessary to have either meteor, arcane orb, or disintegrate? No, but they are three of the most appealing wizard skills, in my opinion.

Cold would be the second most appealing to me, because ray of frost is one of the better single target skills the wizard has, and comet is one of the better aoe skills for the wizard. Of course, comet's damage/AP ratio will be lower than other skills to make up for the chilling effect. And there are other options to slow enemies that don't involve cold spells.

Lightning is the least appealing because it's hard to do a lot of damage with it. There are a lot of support skills with lightning, but I doubt I will try using a lightning build as a solo player, unless someone discovers something after the game is released (or blizzard changes something). Thematically though, lightning is my favorite element.

There are very few fire skills as well, but since meteor is so strong, fire is quite appealing, although there's pretty much only one core set of skills to use (shock pulse and meteor, probably hydra too).
  4. LucianDK

LucianDK IncGamers Member

Yeah, definitely hard to make a single element focused wizard. Theres a definite slant towards pure arcane in the selection of skills
  5. Elfik

Elfik IncGamers Member

Also in terms of signature skills, we only have 1 arcane, 2 lightning, and 1 physical (assuming spectral blade is physical?). Ray of frost can be runed to decrease AP cost, so it may be a viable replacement for a signature skill. And shock pulse can be runed into fire damage. Still, these selections make it hard to do an element focus.
  6. LucianDK

LucianDK IncGamers Member

Appears the Cold Blood rune for Ray of Frost is incorrect, supposedly only reduces costs to 12ap down from 20.
  7. Such Violent Storms

Such Violent Storms IncGamers Member

I've always tried to concentrate on a single element. Here's a cold build I've theorycrafted:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#ZkYfjg!ZYW!ZYYaac

The Cold Blooded passive is kind've vague in that it says "Chilled." I don't know if a general "slow by x%" counts toward it, if all cold attacks "chill" targets, or if it has to specifically say that the skill "Chills" a target. So you may or may not need Chilling Aura.

Edit: And of course you can always splash Archon in to any build just because.
  8. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

Spectral Blade doesn't have an innate damage type, so your gear decides what kind of damage it deals. If you don't have an elemental mod on your gear then it does physical damage.

That's correct. Blizzard should really fix that. It's been like that for months now.

Slowed and Chilled is two different things to the game, because they each have their own affixes on weapons. How will they differ? I don't know. One will probably only slow movement, while the other will slow attack speed as well.

At the moment, all cold damage "slows" targets, but only their movement as far as I can tell. When this happens, the game says that the target is Snared.

Good luck figuring out what means what. :)

9. Scorch Hellfire

Scorch Hellfire IncGamers Member

I'm pretty sure the Chill from cold damage is essentially the same as being Slowed (just like stunning something and freezing it are essentially the same thing). Slowing from skills always shows as that ripply distorted area under somethings feet and Chilled will always be the frost over the enemy. I don't think cold damage or skills slow attack speed unless they say they do (such as Ray of Frost). Both of these effects (Slowed and Chilled) make the "Snared" message come up. Just try hitting stuff with Wave of Force and then something else with Ray of Frost.

As for coming up with viable single element builds, that is extremely easy for the Wizard (yes it's easiest to do all arcane, but you can do also do all fire, frost, lightning, physical, and even poison if you stick to spectral blade and hydra for damage) and can be done with other classes as well. Obviously you can make fire and poison themed WDs, but you can also easily do all fire, lightning, and holy Monks as well as fire, poison and lightning themed Demon Hunters. Now there really isn't any advantage of different elements over the others (except for the passives on the wizard and wd) other than when you come across monsters and eventually players that have a high resistance to a certain element. It's mostly just a matter of liking the mechanic of the skill that has a certain elemental damage type.

10. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

Forgot that Wave of Force slows targets. The effect is indeed the same as for chill, at least that's how I remember it. I'll see if this is indeed the case or if one of them slows attack speeds as well.

I can't see specific resists against them in the affix list either, so they're the same in this regard as well.

This means that there are different affixes for slow and chill purely because of added flavor.

So far, everything I saw suggests the opposite. Cold damage on weapons chills targets, even with skills that use the weapon's elemental mod. Blizzards chills target, which is apparent in the new skill demonstration video. I can't think of any other skill with cold damage at the moment that doesn't explicitly state that it chills targets and that's verifiable.

11. ElementEight

ElementEight IncGamers Member

derp delete
  12. Musashi

Musashi IncGamers Member

I really want to like a lightning build, as I agree that it's visually so cool. But dead is certainly not cool.

I didn't realized that about spectral blade, so I never thought it was possible to go all poison.

But if I want to be all poison the WD is the obvious choice, but then maybe that's what I'm trying to do, seek out the not-so-obvious choice build.
  13. ElementEight

Here's a list to help you out with making element-specific builds. Some skills really cross the line between two themes (Teleport is arguably physical, since it's a change of position, but it's also very arcany of a thing to do; same with Slow Time), but I've tried to categorize them as closely as possible, with focus on giving elements with less skills the benefit of having more than less.

Arcane skills:

Magic missiles; any rune
    Arcane orb; any rune
    Arcane torrent; any rune
    Disintegrate; any rune
    Slow time; any rune
    Teleport; except Calamity
    Energy twister; any rune
    Hydra; Arcane Hydra
    Familiar; Arcanot & Cannoneer
    Energy armor; any rune
    Mirror image; except Mocking Demise
    Archon; any rune

Arcane-themed passives:
    Power Hungry
    Evocation
    Prodigy
    Astral Presence
    Temporal Flux
    Critical Mass
    Arcane Dynamo

Fire skills:
    Shock pulse; Fire Bolts
    Hydra; Hydra & Mammoth Hydra
    Meteor; except Comet
    Familiar; Sparkflint

Fire-themed passives:
    Conflagration

Ice skills:
    Ray of frost; any rune, notably Cold Blood as a replacement for a signature
    Frost nova; any rune
    Hydra; Frost Hydra
    Meteor; Comet
    Blizzard; any rune
    Ice armor; any rune

Ice-themed passives:
    Cold Blooded

Lightning skills:
    Shock pulse; except Fire Bolts
    Electrocute; any rune
    Hydra; Lightning Hydra
    Storm armor; any rune
    Magic weapon; Electrify
    Familiar; Sparkflint

Lightning-themed passives:
    Paralysis

Physical skills:
    Spectral blades; any rune
    Diamond skin; any rune
    Teleport; Calamity
    Wave of force; any rune
    Magic weapon; Force Weapon & Blood Magic
    Familiar; Ancient Guardian
    Explosive blast; any rune

Physical-themed passives:
    Blur
    Glass Cannon
    Galvanizing Ward
    Unstable Anomaly

Poison skills:
    Hydra; Venom Hydra
    Magic weapon; Venom
  14. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

my cold sorc is an up close fighter
  15. Such Violent Storms

I think the problem is that of the "elemental passives," the passives which echo D2 Sorc's masteries, only one, Cold Blooded, actually promotes a Cold-themed build.

Conflagration just makes you want to use 1 fire skill to get the 10% bonus then use something else, not only fire skills. Paralysis is a great effect, but it doesn't boost damage at all, and the chance is far too low.

People want to make themed Wizards, and with no immunities in D3 it's even more encouraging. Look at any other RPG, from Sorceresses to Elementalists, and they all can focus on single elements. It's great that a Wizard can mix and match, but focusing on a single element is just a cool way to make a character.
  16. Elfik

Elfik IncGamers Member

Paralysis is a low chance because it encourages you to use as many lightning skills as possible, so to me it does encourage a lightning-theme. Also, temporal flux mildly encourages you to use an arcane theme, since the slow effect is very short and you'll invriably be moving or using defensive skills as well as offense, so it's arguably best to stick to arcane offense when using temporal flux.

Also, there will still be resistances, so there are deterrents to using a mono-element build. Plus the fact that you're superficially limiting skill choices.

From looking at that list, I think the physical theme is actually half-decent with the new explosive blast mechanics. I always thought diamond skin fit a cold theme really well because of the colour, but obivously diamond skin is a great skill to have for short-ranged wizards. Teleport isn't such a great skill for short-ranged wizards because it's a one-dimensional escape skill, but with diamond skin, they can use it to escape or to keep attacking (although it won't be as useful an escape skill as teleport).

17. ElementEight

The million dollar question is: Do you get more from using multiple lightning skills and a 5% chance to stun or from varying your skillset while avoiding such passive effects? Conflagrate is broader than the three other ones, mind you.

18. Elfik

Elfik IncGamers Member

I would hope that varying your skills is slightly better overall, since there are more potential multielement builds than there are single element builds, so, to promote customization, the best multielement builds should be better than the best monoelement builds.

I'll still play monoelement builds no matter what, but the main reason is for the theme, not for the passives.

19. Such Violent Storms

Not nearly as well as simple masteries. They want to get creative, and I can think of many ways to improve these passives, but as they stand they're not very intriguing.

>Of course there's resistances. That doesn't deter mono-element builds.
    >Immunities deter mono-element builds.
    >There are no immunities.

If I want to control Fire and only fire, I'm going to "limit" my skill choices for the cool factor of being pure fire.

20. Elfik

Elfik IncGamers Member

Well, If I take both lightning and arcane spells, and face a mob with higher arcane resistance than lightning, I'll have a slight advantage over an arcane-only wizard, all other things being equal. Of course, the passives will counteract this advantage, in a sense. Also, resource considerations will limit the duoelement player, such that the overall advantage won't be very big to begin with, probably.

And I like that they got creative and they're not simple masteries. I'm worried that the passives might not be good enough though.

Yes, exactly.