Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Level 25 druid Can't beat Durial

Discussion in 'Druid' started by SloppyWalnut, May 30, 2012. | Replies: 15 | Views: 8842

1. SloppyWalnut

SloppyWalnut IncGamers Member

Hello i have a level 25 druid my skills are 3 in dire wolf 1 in carrion vine 1 in heart of wolverine 5 in raven and 1 is werewolf and werewolf mastery and 1 in fissure i have an offensive merc 220 def 50 str 50 dex 51 vitality and 51 energy (I was looking at my skills while typing this i dont know them by heart)

2. Xena1985

Xena1985 IncGamers Member

what sort of druid are you trying to build? And what equipment do you have access to? Duriel on normal is the hardest boss of the entire game including hell difficulty. I would get 1 more level, put a point in feral rage and beat him with the highest damage 2 hand weapon you can find. Also try to find some weapons with a crushing blow modifier. The Bonesnap unique maul is an excellent early game choice that will carry you through normal and a the first few acts of nightmare.

Oh and chug potions like an alcoholic :)

3. SloppyWalnut

a bone helm with 13 poison resist, 108 def in my splint mail with 7% enhanced damage, 15 def in boots, 15 in gloves, 7 in my belt, 9-21 with 1 cold, 39 in my sheild with a 30% chance of block, (CHARMS) 6% poison over 3 sec in 1 charm, 4% in lightning resist, 7% lightning resist in another, 5% in lightning resist with 1 dex in another, another 6% poison over 3 sec, a 1-6 lightning damage, and a 1-2 cold damage. OH and im trying to build an elemental summoner (but now im kinda workin on a well rounded) oh and i have a 9-21 crossbow for my long range

4. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

Your build is very vague. I suggest respecing out of it and getting a fire druid- which is basically fissure+synergies. Duriel is very easy to beat with fire druid- just run around and spam fissures.

5. SloppyWalnut

ok thanks oh and should i use my crossbow it does more damage than my ax and its long ranged

6. Xena1985

Right, it sounds like your just getting into game and your running untwinked i.e without highend gear found by other chars.
    I recommend a respec and focus exclusively on the fire tree. Shapeshifters need good gear to work in hell and summoners in particular need god like gear and many skillers to be effective in hell.

The fire druid relying on fissure and volcano is a really good way to do some untwinked magic finding in nightmare until you can afford better stuff. Either by trading on the single player forum here or on battlenet depending if your single or multiplayer. Try reading some guides here on the forum. There is no point beating a dead horse.

Adding 3 points into dire wolves will help you soak up damage in normal and get 1 point in summon grizzly ASAP. his purpose is not damage but to be a meat shield.

7. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Site Pal

I agree that fire will do him well now, but I disagree with everything else. You do not need godly gear to make the other two trees (shapeshift and summon) work. You're also misleading the OP in to thinking that fire will get him through hell, which it wont. Act 1 hell is full of fire immunes.

What i suggest, Sloppy, is 1) a full wind build or 2) a combination of fire and summon. I do agree with Xena that you should read a few guides. Here are two wind guides (one, two) and here's a summon/fire (with bow back up) guide.

8. SloppyWalnut

my statagy for him so far is summon everything than spam fissure and my crossbow and im working on getting a ton of full rejuv. potions

9. Xena1985

We may have differing opinions on what constitues good gear. I can't see a shifter working without unique weapons with crushing blow, Jalal's ect. not godly but still high(er?) end. By working I mean killing things at a good pace and not dying.

As for the summoner..... I had one once with +10 to skills in the summon tree decent gear but no high end rune words. It was possible per se to beat hell but it was painfully slow. The wolves give you what? 3 attacks every 15 frames distributed (i.e diluted) over an entire screen in the 2k-3k range IIRC with no CB, area of effect, ect. All this for at least 60 points invested. With many skillers and + 20 total to the summon tree he might have been better. I don't know..... Necro's make better summoners with chained CE to speed things up :cloud9:

10. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Site Pal

So you grant CE to a necro summoner, but you don't grant fire skills to a summoner druid and expect to compare them honestly?

They can work, if you know what you're doing.

11. Xena1985

Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to imply that all. I thought it was a given that summoner's will also max out volcano and fissure. Or do some weird rabies or FC variant. I had fissure and volcano of course. I know they can be effective but I'm also acutely aware of the equipment necessary.

My summoner was hell "viable" but underwhelming because for the same equipment level i.e mid-high end gear, a fury druid could probably do a baal run in half the time, or even a third. And comparing to a Necro summoner with CE: Well I'd almost go as far as saying that a necro summoner with store bought gear could trump my druid summoner with mid-high gear. I had +10 or so skills, no problems surviving, but I didn't have a pride merc. With a pride merc and + 20 to skills it could have been a much better build.

12. SloppyWalnut

im only in normal guys im not in any concern of hell right now i jut havent played the game since i was like 5 and im 11 now its like i have never played the game and last time i beat durial i had like 4 other people so yeah oh and my def is 220 and everything i have is enchanted and my charms are bad a s s

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  13. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

Druid summoners suck a lot compared to necros, honestly.
    I did 2 versions of these, one with fissure volcano and other with fireclaws+one synergy, shockwave support.
    Wasn't impressed with either.

They can 'do' hell sure..
    but you can't compare them to necros, because druid summons suck balls.

Even level 38 summons, buffed with might ( merc ), beast ( fanaticism ), decrepify ( reapers ), lvl 22 HoW, have trouble doing anything at all in hell players 8 games. My experience anyhow..

Another problem is that summon equipment causes clashes in gear for fire skills/fireclaws/etc. like beast vs hoto, elemental skillers vs trainers, etc., etc.

I think Blizzard had the right ideas with druids, but they mucked up the numbers somewhere down the line.
    They also forgot to make good items for druids, there is no summoner equivalent of 'arm of king leoric' . All we have is Dark clan crusher, which sucks..

Thus, elemental druids aren't as good as sorceress, shapeshifters aren't as good as zealot/barb, summoners not as good as necros.
    Only windy and fury wolf come close. I don't know of any summon build that is similar in power.

14. twillight

twillight IncGamers Member

The way to kill Duriel:

1) Accumlate gold.
    2) when you reach down, open a town portal in safe distance from the beast.
    3) when you're out of firepower (eg. your merc died) go up, resurrect / summon / buff again, then go back for more bashing.

Works with any character level 21+.

15. melissa

melissa IncGamers Member

This sounds like the closest to good advice for someone in his situation (doesn't have access to better gear). Duriel for most classes is the toughest boss, just due to lack of space down there. As many rejuvs/full rejuvs you can get your hands on helps a lot. What came to mind also is how have you equipped your merc? I know when I was newer to the game this is something I didn't pay enough attention to, but it makes a world of difference.

I'm sure the OPer is already past this (at least I hope so! ;) ), but maybe someone else in a similar situation can gain benefit.

16. Quingu

Quingu Banned

Thank Blizzard, that regular bosses don't regenerate like Ubers. Duriel would be then a REAL pain...