Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Lesson for today: Don't be poor in this country!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by jimmyboy, Oct 26, 2005. | Replies: 86 | Views: 2761

1. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

Lesson for today: Don't be poor in this country!!!

Here's the lesson I learned today. Don't be poor in this country. And while you're at it, don't be a student either.

Hey, I hear they're going to eliminate estate taxes. If you want to get out of poverty, do it the old fashion way, inherit it!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051026/ap_on_go_co/senate_entitlement_cuts

"A Republican-led effort to slow spending on health care programs for the poor, elderly and disabled survived a stern test in the Senate Tuesday.

That chamber's Finance Committee, voting along party lines, approved legislation that would trim overall spending on Medicare and Medicaid by about $10 billion over five years. "

"Separately, House Agriculture Committee Chairman Robert Goodlatte, R-Va., has drafted a plan to cut the food stamp program by $1.1 billion over five years. It would tighten eligibility requirements, leading to a drop of perhaps 300,000 working families from food stamp rolls. It also would make legal immigrants wait 10 years instead of five to be eligible for the program and limit benefits for able-bodied beneficiaries without children."

"Meanwhile, Rep. John Boehner (news, bio, voting record), R-Ohio, proposed a change in the broader budget bill that would curb spending for student loans by about $14-15 billion over five years, mostly by cutting subsidies to lenders, but also by changing the interest rate structure for students."
  2. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

you pretty much don't want to be poor anywhere
  3. Module88

Module88 IncGamers Member

Also, don't try to buy food when you don't have any money.
  4. Ash Housewares

you guys need avatars, seriously
  5. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Also, don't be Porkins.

The GOP has finally decided that it's time to shut down the out-of-control Bush spending machine. And it's going to do it by cutting off programs that benefit the poor, instead of getting rid of useless bridges to Alaskan islands home to 50 people. Or, you know, not invading Syria and Iran.

I recommend bank robbery followed by a quick trip to the Maldives, by the way.
  6. Module88

They could just raise taxes. :thumbsup:
  7. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

As a poor student, I resent these comments. I also resent that I appear to be out of bourbon.
  8. Ash Housewares

you only say that because he died

harhar, I'm drunker than you
  9. Nerf-Herder

Nerf-Herder IncGamers Member

according to bush, the only way out of poverty is to enlist NOW and fight his war in the desert (im sure you have seen the ads)

next move is to cut federal pell grants and student loans while buffing the GI bill

republicants campaign slogan in 2008, "if ya cant kill, ya cant git yer edumacashun!"

god damn us, every one
  10. Module88

I haven't. :scratch:
  11. Stevebo

Stevebo Banned

Ha. It amazes me that people complain about being poor and not getting enough help from the government.
    Hell- I work for my money and to provide for myself now and for the future. If they want to have medical treatment, send their kids to college and have some sort of pension then they should get off their butts and work and save their money like the rest of us instead of wasting their $300 a week minimum wage paycheck on silly things like rent, utilities bills, transport to and from work, food and clothing.
    It's ridiclous that I should be expected to contribute any of my $60k/pa salary to investing in the nations greatest resource - its people.

(warning - this post may contain traces of sarcasm)
  12. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

Steve, 300/week is nowhere near minimum wage, at least in Texas. You would have to work 50 hours a week at our 5.15/hr, not deducting taxes to make that much. More realistically, 65 hours a week, granted you get time and a half for all hours over 40 you worked. And anyone who works 65/week is not going to be makin just minimum wage.

Unless of course you get paid a flat rate by the week...
  13. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

ACHOOO! PWONNNK... {blowing nose into hanky}

Must be my reaction to your sarcasm.
  14. jimmyboy

We're old school (don't know how, or too lazy).
  15. jimmyboy

Last year, the White House axed "overtime" remember? Overtime was too much a burden on corporations.

So it's gone. Poof. Gone.
  16. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

They're too poor to afford them.

Be Gold Five! Stay on target, stay on target! Gold Five to Red Leader... lost Tiree, lost Dutch. They came from behind...

*Holds up his official Star Wars geek credentials*

You told me too late and in tiny writing - don't you know I'm allergic to sarcasm? See you in court.

*EDIT* Aww, JM beat me to it.
  17. Stevebo

Stevebo Banned

Heh... Lucky i did not go to the lengths of adding a few cuttings of wit with a sprinkling of parody.
  18. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again.
  19. Stevebo

Stevebo Banned

Damn... I thought my guess was low a ~$7/ph.

$5.15? I know people who earned more than that working in illegal clothing factories in Londons Chinatown.

How the hell are people expected to support themselves (even without children) on a weekly pittance like that? Particulary since they get minimal welfare...
  20. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

Its 5.15 in Tennessee too. was making 5.20 an hour at Mcd's. I barely had enough money at all after insurance and gas took its share. thank god I lived with my parents.