Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Lesser Evils: Azmodan(Lord of Sin) & Belial(Lord of Lies) der=

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Aranock, Apr 19, 2008. | Replies: 100 | Views: 22707

1. Aranock

Aranock IncGamers Member

Lesser Evils: Azmodan(Lord of Sin) & Belial(Lord of Lies)

After a previous post i made, i decided to do some reserach to find out about that old tomb in diablo 1 i remembered about the lesser evils. Here is info; perhaps a strong allusion to Diablo 3. From what i gather from blizzard via diabloii.net's d3 wiki page with the official quotes and such, i would put my money that it is indeed going to be a battle of heaven vs hell in one form or another; whether it's a story before or after the worldstone, or perhaps the banishing of the 3 prime evils, i'm guessing the names below will be key players. Enjoy

Diablo II: Lord of Destruction's story-line introduces a new mythical object into the Diablo Universe, the Worldstone, which is an ancient crystal that prevents the Heavens and the Hells from completely enveloping the mortal realm. Baal is seeking it inside Mount Arreat. However, true to the games preceding it, Baal is defeated. The Worldstone is destroyed by the archangel Tyrael due to Baal's corruption of it.
    According to the manual for Diablo, there were seven Great Evils - the three Prime Evils (Mephisto, Diablo and Baal) and the four Lesser Evils. While the Prime Evils controlled Hell as a sovereign triumvirate, the Lesser Evils were powerful in their own right, serving as Lieutenants to the Prime evils, but often jealous of them.
    1. Azmodan, Lord of Sin, and Belial, Lord of Lies: Azmodan joined with his brother Belial during the Sin War to overthrow the Prime Evils, who they believed were unwilling to continue the war with Heaven. Rallying Hell's legions behind them, Azmodan and Belial overthrew Diablo, Mephisto and Baal and banished them to the mortal realm, believing that if the angels were focused on battling the Prime Evils in the mortal realm, the Gates of Heaven would be wide open. Once the Prime Evils were gone, Azmodan and Belial argued over who had the greater authority, and thus their alliance fragmented and a civil war broke out in Hell. Azmodan's and Belial's fates are unknown. In the first Diablo novel, Legacy Of Blood, Belial is referred to as the Lord of Hell, though this may just be exaggeration on the part of the speaker, a demon named Xazax.

Since the release of the 1.11 patch, only Azmodan and Belial have yet to appear in-game.

EDIT: Went back to the tomb. Here's the direct quote. Tomb reads, "The Dark Exile"
    "So it came to be that there was a great revolution within the burning hells known as the dark exile. The lesser evils overthrew the three prime evils and banished their spirit forms to the mortal realm. The demons Belial (the lord of lies, and Azmodan (The lord of sin) faught to claim rulership of hell during the absence of the three brothers. All of hell polarized between the factions of Belial and Azmodan, while the forces of the high heavens continually battered upon the very gates of hell"

Here's links to the actual in game Tombs. I believe it's all evidence. Nevertheless, guys voice is superb!
    The Realms Beyond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d5Z1rowA0k
    Tale of the Three: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syIYMWa1vdc&feature=related
    The Dark Exile: Script is above. I'll see if i can get a video up for it.

Here's some refresher info as well:

2. Andariel, Maiden of Anguish: Once allied with Azmodan and Belial when they overthrew the Prime Evils, Andariel re-aligned herself with Diablo upon his resurrection in the mortal realm. Upon entering the world of Sanctuary, Andariel took over the Monastery of the Sightless Eye, the stronghold of the Rogues, and forced High Priestess Akara and her surviving warriors to flee to a ramshackle camp. Andariel's motives were clear when the Dark Wanderer (Diablo) was discovered - Andariel was attempting to block the pass into Aranoch in order to prevent adventurers from stopping the Wanderer/Diablo from reaching the Tomb of Tal Rasha. At the behest of the Sisterhood, an adventurer battled through demons and undead into the Monastery, and defeated Andariel - thus opening the pass to the desert port of Lut Gholein. In later sources, Andariel was said to be the strongest daughter of Lilith (see below), which might make her Mephisto's granddaughter.
    3. Duriel, Lord of Pain: Once allied with Azmodan and Belial when they overthrew the Prime Evils, Duriel aided Diablo in finding the Tomb of Tal Rasha in the deserts of Aranoch, where Baal was imprisoned. Once Diablo freed Tal Rasha/Baal, Duriel was left in the tomb to confront the adventurer searching for it, as a punishment for his previous infraction. Duriel was defeated by the adventurer.

In the new Diablo novel, The Sin War, it is revealed that Mephisto had two children: a son, Lucion, and a daughter, Lilith.
    Lilith is introduced in the 1.11 patch. She appears in a quest called the Pandemonium event requiring the hero to collect three keys and transmuting them in the Horadric Cube to form a portal to her realm. She is described as the Queen of Succubi and the Matriarch of Demons.
    The addition of Lilith has caused some controversy, as she was never mentioned in previous texts (which had only seven Great Evils and named all of them). Many players do not consider her canon. However, Lilith (almost certainly the same character) is a major character of the Sin War trilogy, where she is revealed to be the daughter of Mephisto and sister of Lucion. It is possible that offspring of the Great Evils are not considered to be Great Evils themselves. This presents another problem, as Lilith is described as Andariel's mother.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  2. mince pies

mince pies IncGamers Member

Re: 1. Azmodan, Lord of Sin, and Belial, Lord of Lies

If the three Prime Evils were overthrown by two Lesser Evils then frankly I don't think Diablo, Baal and Mephi deserve the title of "Prime Evil"

3. Aranock

Aranock IncGamers Member

4. aishilee

aishilee IncGamers Member

So diablo wanted to return to hell and gain control of it ?
    so baal wanted to courrupt the worldstone so the gates of Hell can open to the mortall planes?

so mephisto wanted to stay in durance of hate for us to mf ?

5. ohnoyellowdinosaur

ohnoyellowdinosaur IncGamers Member

actually, he stayed behind to fight the player to stop him from continuing forward.

and he succeded; i mean... you have to stay in a3 all your mfing life, right? D:

6. aishilee

haaha. Ok so Mephisto is the guardian of the portal to the relam of hell.

So as the story goes.. after diablo release his brother baal from act 2, they went to find meph. And at the durance of hate, they did a ritual to open up the hell portal. From there Baal went North. Diablo went to hell. Meph continue to courrupt kurast.

in the end , Baal Successfully corrupted the worldstone and tyreal have to destroy it. So now it means heaven and hell can venture anyhow on to the mortal relam ?

7. Lanthanide

Lanthanide IncGamers Member

I have a theory about the end of LoD. I had 8 points in support of it but I've forgotten most of them now (and the email account that had the email is long gone). I emailed them to Chris Metzen asking if it was on the right track, he said it was a very interesting theory but wouldn't give any more hints than that :)

Basically, I don't think it is Tyrael at the end of LoD that destroys the worldstone. I think it is Belial, lord of lies (ie, illusions).
    1. Tyrael loses his sword in the cinematic at the end of Act 2 in the fight with Baal, yet he is seen with the sword in the LoD cinematic.
    2. Tyrael's 'wings' in the LoD cinematic look quite different from those in the Act 2 cinematic - they look more liquidy and squid-like rather than distinct ribbons of light. This could easily just be an art direction change, of course.
    3. The worldstone looks like it is very very massive, and Baal has probably only been there for a few days at most, yet Tyrael says it is completely corrupted to the core - seemed like pretty fast work by Baal.
    4. I vaguely remember something about what Tyrael says to the hero in-game as being a bit ominous, when he makes the portal he says something like "you deserve your final rest" - can anyone get a quote from the game on that?
    5. I remember something about the worldstone chamber being protected so that Tyrael couldn't enter it, but can't recall what my objection to that was.

8. aishilee

wow. haha . thats is some cool ideas u got there. lord of lies.. illusion.. haha . nice.

9. mince pies

mince pies IncGamers Member

I'm pretty sure it was Baal who prevented Tyrael from entering the Worldstone, and with the adventurer defeating him, he would be allowed back in. About the sword, he could probably get another one made in Heaven. Very interesting theory though :smiley:

On another note, do you think the Prime Evils would have offspring like the rest of us or would they just spawn?

10. BlackAlien

BlackAlien Banned

11. Aranock

Aranock IncGamers Member

Interesting ideas indeed. I never thought twice to analyze that lst cinematic. I'm going to have to watch it again.

12. Lanthanide

So one objection to that is that Tyrael surely knew where Baal was going (why else would he go up north?), so why didn't he get to the worldstone first and protect it from Baal?

As for the new sword, yeah, that's possible.

13. aishilee

hmm. tyreal was trying to prevent diablo from releasing baal. but that marius release baal instead while diablo was fighting with tyreal. so with the help from baal..tyreal got chained up in tal rasha tomb. ya. by the time we save tyreal, baal had alrdy gone to the north. and by the time we reach the north.. baal had alrdy seal the chamber with someting to prevent tyreal from entering.

14. UGTM

UGTM IncGamers Member

Actually Baal could enter the Worldstone Keep without being challenged by the ancient guardians because he was holding the Ancient Relic (which he got from Nihlathak). That relic was created for Tyrael at first, and anyone who held it would enter the WSK without challenge.
    Which tells us a very important thing about the nephalem: even the prime evils are afraid of them, because of their powers. :smiley:

15. korialstraz

korialstraz IncGamers Site Pal

Speaking of the Nephalem, not only The Prime Evils fear them, but all of The High Heavens as well, which is why the Angels sought to destroy Sanctuary and mankind in the first place.

Most powerfull being on Sanctuary was at least during the first invasion of The High Heaven and Burning Hells was called Uldysian Ul-Diomedes (Or something along those lines).

16. UGTM

UGTM IncGamers Member

Yes, that's true also.
    But i must add that in my opinion, the High Heaven's reason for destroying Sanctuary was not only the power of the Nephalem, but also the fact that they were angels and demons hybrids. Only by the sacrifice of Uldyssian they (especially Tyrael) actually saw that mankind has it's own freewill and they ruled to let them live without any interfeer by them and also by the demons (the pact with Mephisto leaving his mark on Sanctuary and getting Inarius).

17. Lanthanide

Here's Tyrael's speech at the end of Act 4:

"Praise be to the Light! You have accomplished the impossible!

Diablo and Mephisto have been banished back into the Black Abyss that spawned them, and the corrupted Soulstones are no more.

However, while you were fighting here, Baal remained behind in the mortal realm, building an army of hellish minions. Now, Baal's army is searching for the Worldstone, the ancient source of all the Soulstones and their power, while leaving behind a wake of destruction. They have forged deeply into the Barbarian homelands, heading directly for the summit of Mount Arreat!

Baal knows, mortal hero! hat is the very site of the blessed Worldstone!

Now, enter the portal I have opened for you. It will take you to the Barbarian city of Harrogath, the last bastion of Order on the slopes of Arreat."

It appears that at the time Tyrael is saying this, Baal has not yet reached the worldstone. Therefore, why didn't he simply get there before Baal did? I think the eaisiest answer is something like "Tyrael can't do everything - his powers have limits, otherwise he would have just killed Diablo himself".

Anyway, I found a site that has the NPC dialogues for the quests from Act 1-4, as well as parts from the Manuals for D1, D2 and D2X, which could be useful for people. It also has general descriptions of the various Diablo books, as well as a summary of the 3rd book (pity it doesn't have summaries for the others).

http://www.blizzplanet.com/content/428/

18. Dorfoumous

Dorfoumous IncGamers Member

Something to ponder..

In "Christiananity" (I know its not "diablo cannon" but follow) Satan, Diablo, is a FALLEN angel.

The anti-Christ that comes back, is often seen as a false light...or someone who has all of the "elements of Christ" but is seeking to condem people by saying He is the risen messiah but really isn't...but he has the same "powers as Christ"

Tyrael anyone?

Could it be that Tyrael was using you as a pawn for his evil game so you could defeat all of the "prime evils" so that he can take over hell for himself?

*cue creepy music*

I mean after all he he honestly do anything? Other than making you do everything?

19. korialstraz

korialstraz IncGamers Site Pal

Have you read the Sin Wars Dorf?

SPOILER:

Tyreal was the Angel who led the way for the coming of The High Heavens to Sanctuary. He was meant to cause as much chaos so that there would be no resistance when the res of The Host arrived. After Uldysian sent all the Andels and Demons away and saved the world from his own subconciusnes, he and his friends was taken to the Andiris Council and listened to the Angels discuss the fate of Sanctuary. There Tyreal voted against crushing the humans and destroying Sanctuary, but to let the Nephalem have a chance to mature into the powers inherant in them :wink3:

20. UGTM

UGTM IncGamers Member

Tyrael is not allowed to do anything, to interfeer in this war. All he can do is give advice and that's it. Remember he was the savior of Sanctuary, that's the most important thing !
    But...there is the possibility that he gets corrupted by the already corrupted worldstone.

Oh, and i somehow have the same theory with Dorfoumous, but with Deckard Cain, not Tyrael. :smiley: He is the one giving you the quests to defeat the prime evils, and being the last of the Horadrim, maybe he seeks power to himself.