Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Least gear dependent class?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Sqeecoo, May 2, 2012. | Replies: 17 | Views: 7580

1. Sqeecoo

Sqeecoo IncGamers Member

Least gear dependent class?

I invite you to a bit of theorycrafting: which class is the least gear dependent? Is there even such a thing, are they all equal in this respect?
  2. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

Re: Least gear dependent class?

They made a pretty serious effort to make all classes very gear-dependent, with both damage and defenses having a multiplicative factor that comes from gear. They also said they made sure that ranged classes won't really be able to avoid damage and will still care a lot about defensive stats, so you can't go with the D2 way of thinking saying "ranged should be less gear dependent because they can avoid getting hit".

I suppose abilities that heal/block damage independent of your HP or damage make you slightly less gear-dependent, though, so barbarian has a small edge here with revenge, overpower (with heal rune) and furious charge (with heal rune). Then again, those heals seem completely overpowered, so no idea if they'll stay this way. I wouldn't be surprised if they change them to % of damage dealt healed or something.
  3. Hadrial

Hadrial IncGamers Member

I'd say monk, they have heals, and runes to heal on skill activation, as well as a healing and dodge aura.
  4. Hellpyre

Hellpyre IncGamers Member

WD, with all their utility and of course Soul Harvest, are probably marginally less gear dependent than the other classes. Though still not by much.
  5. Sqeecoo

Sqeecoo IncGamers Member

I'm inclined to agree that the differences are minimal. Though I don't see how the "ranged classes get hit less" factor can be completely removed. At the very least, they can use skilled play to avoid more damage. Melee classes don't really have that option - at least not to the same extent.

Let me try rephrasing the question:

Which class(es) do you think will have the easiest time in Inferno?
  6. galzohar

Well, Blizzard did give melee classes 30% damage reduction and specifically mentioned that you won't be able to avoid all damage, indicating that in inferno you'll probably be able to avoid only about 30% of the damage, at least not if you want to deal about as much damage as the melee class. Of course this is very rough, but gives you an idea of how things might work out just fine.
  7. nasarius

nasarius IncGamers Site Pal

Or: which class can I load up with MF gear? Every class depends entirely on a good weapon for damage output, of course. But can you get away with less effective armor?

I think there's a strong case to be made for the Wizard. Diamond Skin is straight damage absorption. Wave of Force repels projectiles and enemies. Slow Time can be used to good effect. Mirror Image gives you decoys.

Diamond Skin may become obsolete in Inferno. But the Wizard has several gear-independent skills that, with some clever play, help you avoid damage entirely. That seems extremely important.

8. zakaluka

zakaluka IncGamers Member

I'm willing to bet it doesn't. Blocks calculate after DR. It's a pretty good bet absorbs do too.

9. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

All classes have some very strong defensive abilities that will help carry them into inferno. Assuming Blizzard is right about ranged classes not being able to entirely avoid damage, I don't see that any one particular class has a significant edge.
  10. Questo

Questo IncGamers Member

Probably the monk, but only because he's capable of getting a large amount of dodge from a combination of different skills, runes, and passives. He also has a passive that pretty much allows him to easily pump up elemental resistances that are weak so as long as he can gear for at least one he'll be good. This build would probably allow a lot of survivability, even with relatively poor gear.

After that, probably the Demon Hunter since it seems as though he has enough skills at his disposal to kite forever, so even with low damage and otherwise poor survivability, he might be able to get by. Otherwise every class is pretty gear dependent. Almost every single ability scales based on gear and although almost every class has some survival skills, they're generally fairly limited. There are cases that could be made for just about all of them though.
  11. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

I'm not too sure that kiting or superior defense will enable a character to actually advance through content, though. They're likely to stall at about the same place and then maybe kill a few regular mobs, but wipe on the first encounter with, say, a Waller or a mob with an enrage timer effect.
  12. Karpalo

Karpalo IncGamers Member

All the scaling is item dependent. No class has base damages so it's really hard to say. I would probably go with WD since pet's seem fairly static and soul harvest gives big boost to weapon damage.
  13. Brother Laz

Brother Laz IncGamers Member

You just need to exploit abilities that work regardless of your items. This means CC and damage avoidance. I'd go with demon hunter and kite things. I'm pretty sure there are no encounters where you get cockblocked if you can't kill them in X amount of time, or else people would get fatally stuck there and ragequit the game - and in the end this is still a casual game so it won't happen.
  14. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

Now that we know that certain enemies have enrage timers going the safe route may not always be a good idea. The ranged characters are still your best bet though if you don't want to depend on gear too much, since evading damage is much easier with them.
  15. zUkUu

zUkUu IncGamers Member

well a good weapon is mandatory for all classes. however I think the barbarian is the only one who needs effectively armor to survive. all other classes can evade damage. monk needs gear to be able to dodge effectively to a degree as well making those two the most dependent class. witch doctor can be a mana neutral machine with skills, runes and passives allready without gear and he has pets as well. sorc has free cost spells, but needs crit gear to get to a neutral point for bigger stuff. DH works out of the box as well.
  16. The Rockman

The Rockman IncGamers Member

Diamond skin acts like an extra health buff IE it only takes damage that would hit your life pool, and according to my messing around with the Diablonut planner that 10853 absorb is just a little bit less then the maximum life I could get in the planner. The max life I hit was ~13K so its an effective hp boost of ~80% when your in end game gear not bad.

Anyway most gear independent class is IMO a pet doctor, as his pets get hps based on his level (means his tankablity stays high even if he naked) and he got soul harvest to make up for any lack of int on his gear (boosts his damage and resistances).

^ TBH you still going to need a good weapon and a lot of priminary stat no matter what class you are.

17. galzohar

Monk healing is also pretty OP and is not dependent on gear (though damage reduction via armor, dodge and resistances definitely helps making the heal more effective, same as diamond skin).
  18. The Rockman

The Rockman IncGamers Member

The monk got a "One with Everything" a really good passive for resist get this and focus on one resist type and your resist goes through the roof for everything.