Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Launch Day Spoiler Avoidance Plans?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Flux, Apr 28, 2012. | Replies: 54 | Views: 3371

?

Your Launch Day Plans?

1. I can't wait. Give me news and live streams ASAP.

18 vote(s)
    14.1%
  2. I will avoid all spoilers for 12-24 hours while I rush through.

31 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. I will avoid all spoilers several days while I play through.

72 vote(s)
    56.3%
  4. Not sure yet.

7 vote(s)
    5.5%
  1. Flux

Flux Administrator

Launch Day Spoiler Avoidance Plans?

I'm wondering what you guys are planning for launch day, in terms of following game content? This is especially a question for non-EU people, since the game goes live on the EU servers ~8 hours before it goes up on the US servers.

Are you guys going to avoid spoilers? Go dark for a day or two on reading D3 news? Or will you be watching live streams and reading all about everything as soon as the news appears, hours before you can play the game yourself?

This isn't just a hypothetical question, since we're planning how to cover the game on the 15th and are considering live streams and live chats and such, which will by definition be 100% pure spoilers, for people who want to save the game info and visuals and plot details for their own eventual play through.

We will avoid spoilers on the main page and try to keep them out of the forums also, but all the info will be in main page news items for players who want it first. You'll see posts that you can click through to learn the entire game plot, see screens and movies of all the quest bosses and Act 4 visuals, since people on the EU server (including Elly and Rush and hopefully me if we can me a workaround via an EU digital download) will have blasted through all of that long before the US servers go live.

You guys are, of course, free to skip that stuff and save surprised for yourselves, but I'm curious how many of you guys will be reading it, or at least trying not to.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  2. JackalYYC

JackalYYC IncGamers Member

Re: Your Launch Day Plans?

Avoid any and all media outlets until completion of the story mode. Which will likely occur in the first 2 days.
  3. Nizaris

Nizaris Clan Officer - US West Hardcore

I'll be at the launch event on the 14th to cover it and get the game, of course. Apparently Crudesash will be making the trek so I may meet up with him as well.
  4. Hyliangod

Hyliangod IncGamers Member

I will avoid all spoilers several days while I play through.

I also will only be playing solo for awhile because i'd rather complete the first 3 difficulties at least with no outside help.
  5. Psytherium

Psytherium IncGamers Member

I plan on watching everything I can to learn about the game, so when I get it (8 hours later) I can rush through as fast as I can and hopefully be half way through nightmare before i fall asleep.
  6. Eagle

Eagle IncGamers Member

I know I'd like to know how the AH's behave in those first 8 hours on the EU servers. Other than that I'll probably try and avoid reading to much until I've played through normal. Although I don't really mind knowing what's coming up, it doesn't really effect the fun for me.
  7. Flux

Flux Administrator

Are you going to soak up all the info during the evening, so you can blurt out "Cain kills Dumbledore!" type spoilers at the launch?

Question for everyone; should I have included a #5 option, for "I want to avoid spoilers and play through clean at midnight, but I'll never hold out."

8. Andy2702

Andy2702 IncGamers Member

Don't mind spoilers to be honest, but won't go actively seeking for them. So yeah, #5 for me :D
  9. raveharu

raveharu IncGamers Member

I'll avoid coming to the forums until I complete the game in normal, as well as the BNET chats, bound to have trolls there.
  10. chriscowart

chriscowart IncGamers Member

I'll be going with the digital download, so chances are very good that instead of standing in line, I'll check IncGamers once or twice... or thrice... or a hundred times just hours before my copy is ready to go.

Offtopic Rant:
    My main concern will be server stability and player counts. Questions like: "How is the EU server holding up? How many users already? Is the auction house up and working fine? How many items listed already?" After the horrendous D2 launch, 10 years of technological advances, and Blizzard running WoW for years, and years, I'd really hope everything will go smoothly. The open beta's stability was questionable for 250k public games (most I saw) considering release day will see way more. Anyway, a few stability updates and player counts would go a long way in preparing us for what's to come.

Once my game is unlocked, I'll most likely only check the official D3 site or one of the data sites for item data, crafting recipes, and affixes while my buddies and I are plowing through the game to Inferno. It may be days or weeks before I hit IncGamers again!
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  11. Such Violent Storms

Such Violent Storms IncGamers Member

I just can't see myself sitting in Normal for more than 24 hours, so option #2. If I want to explore, I'll take it slow in Nightmare.
  12. CrazyChihuahua

CrazyChihuahua IncGamers Member

Like the majority, I'll be playing from midnight and spending the 2 days after going solo until finishing at least Normal. It has to be assumed that anyone online won't want to play at my pace and will skip important things :p Better safe than sorry
  13. Nizaris

I was planning on being learned on the spoilers, but y'know, I don't like ruining other's experiences. Plus, it's an interactive game! Story is only a quarter of what it has to offer, heh.

14. Toetag

Toetag IncGamers Member

Spoilers never really bothered me and I'm pretty sure they won't effect my game experience because I'm not as mu ch into the story as some other people. However, I won't be actively seeking spoilers either. I will however, be trolling the forums and such to see if there are any pitfalls to watch out for.
  15. FireIceTalon

FireIceTalon IncGamers Member

I'm indifferent. I just want to play play play play!!!
  16. jamesL

jamesL IncGamers Member

Re: Launch Day Spoiler Avoidance Plans?

I'm going to watch Elly and the other Europeans live stream the second it starts

I'll watch and soak in every detail while I wait for the US servers to come up

8 hours of 500 people watching the stream, talking, asking questions, everybody oohing and aahing, sharing in the surprises

that will be awesome
    much more entertaining and enjoyable than experiencing the surprises as a single player or sharing the surprises in a 4 player game
  17. Nizaris

Speaking of streams... I've just launched mine.

Other than that, I plan on being online while in line... I'll be doing my best to support the community from the front lines of Irvine.
  18. jamesL

jamesL IncGamers Member

and no link ?

19. aerial

aerial IncGamers Member

Simple just not check any diablo related websites or youtube. Pretty sure it will be incredibly easy to accidently spoil something, so better not take any risks.
  20. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

i am so worried about spoilers that during the midnight launch party i plan to bring my headphones so i can block everyone out. i dont want to know a damn thing until i have gone through the story myself. my fast and furious posting will came to a complete stand still for 2-3 days. it wont take me that long to beat it but i also dont want to let anything out by mistake