Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Latency and Regions

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Community Forum' started by MoneyMike, Apr 4, 2012. | Replies: 15 | Views: 1263

1. MoneyMike

MoneyMike IncGamers Member

Latency and Regions

Hey guys,

I know people have said that the combat in D3 doesn't suffer from lag. Presumably (correct me if I'm wrong) all the combat is done by your computer with the server checking the results.

How does this work when more than one person is playing though? If me and a friend are both playing on American servers from Korea, how will the servers handle that? I would think that BOTH computers couldn't resolve combat themselves, since if one of us has a significantly lower latency, his actions will happen first, so the second players actions can't be resolved. (like he's hitting a monster who died already or something like that)

Sorry if that's kind of confusing. I'm just wondering if anyone knows how well this system works when one or both players have a high latency.
  2. Urzuxo

Urzuxo IncGamers Member

Re: Latency and Regions

If the latency is 300+ you'll start to notice a decline in quality. The combat WILL suffer. I would presume that you run a risk of having at least 300+ ms latency if you're playing from Asia -> NA so you might have to change your plans. It's playable but barely enjoyable.

(I know that didn't answer what you asked but...)
  3. Ixnatifual

Ixnatifual IncGamers Member

I don't see how the combat in D3 could possibly not suffer from lag. I wouldn't put too much stock in it when "people say combat in D3 doesn't suffer from lag." Sounds to me like they're full of it. Maybe some lag issues are handled cleverly, but that's quite different from a general statement that lag has no impact at all.
  4. Urzuxo

Urzuxo IncGamers Member

Well if there's less than 200 ms you can barely notice it and it barely effects combat. So a little lag hardly effects combat.
  5. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

I can confirm this as well. Lately I always had a latency of 200ms and didn't notice any lag in combat at all.

When people say that they experienced lag even at low latencies it's most likely caused by packet loss or some other connection issues. D3 only refreshes the latency monitor every 2-3 seconds I think, so lag spikes won't always be visible on it.

This seems to be the case.

Good question. I noticed slightly higher combat delays in multiplayer, but it wasn't too serious. I think the latency tolarance is simply lower in multiplayer, so the client will have to wait for the server even with lower latencies. I'm not sure about this though.

I've had the same experience as Urzuxo, no combat lag up until about 275-300ms (and I do mean no lag at all) in SP, but I did notice more lag with the same latency in multiplayer.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  6. Azzure

Azzure IncGamers Member

Why would this be a problem? What does it matter if your client reports you killed a monster but your friends client says he killed it? You both get loot, you both get EXP, the killing blow is meaningless. This is why they tailored the game like this, so it can support latency-free combat.

It will only matter in PvP, which will likely use the traditional client/server sync.
  7. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

this brings me to another question i had but never asked (sorry to hi-jack the threat but i gotta ask it) how can i tell if the lag is my isp or the servers? every time i go to a site to test my speeds i get very fast speeds but i want to know if there is a way to test the consistency of my connection. anyone know?
  8. Gnome

Gnome IncGamers Member

In the Beta and eventual game what is the command/function to tell what server you are on and what the ping ms is?
  9. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

the ping is shown in the lower right hand corner. has a green or yellow or red bar. just hover over that
  10. spfun

spfun IncGamers Member

My home connection(the one i will be using) can be quite spikey at times. Around 220-250ms when its stable but spikes to 300ms often. I get rubberbanding, animation skips & a few other issues often. :( I'm currently using another connection further north & closer to the exchange, which is really good steady 180-210ms & there is very little lag with it at all. The fact is, this game can run good as long as your connection is good.

I guess I'm just **** out of luck. No hardcore for me. :banghead::weep:
  11. IgorAl

IgorAl IncGamers Member

I have played the Beta few days ago for the first time and I live in Perth( Australia). I played only solo but i was absolutly amazed by how well the game was working. I had the latency from 250 to 450 ms and i barely felt any problems at all. Everything felt instant and responsive just like when i was playing SP in D2. Once the latecny goes above 300 there are SOMETIMES some MINOR (and for me irrelevent) problems especially with the mobility skills like Vault and Leap but eveything else was working really well. I dont know much about the technical stuff but Blizzard has definitly done a great job with "hiding latency". Playing the Beta has put my mind at ease because combat latncy is something that could really ruin the experience in a Diablo game!

As for the Multiplayer i really dont know because i havent tried it but poeple say it is worse. However it is imortant to keep in mind that some people here love to make a huge problem from everything. Like the skill UI for example...from the amount of complaining i thought OMG what has Blizzard done? And than, once i tryed it i could change any skill in 2 seconds and everything seemed fine to me even though it was the first time i was playing it!
  12. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

You can't really. If you know the IP of the server, you can trace your connection to that server and see where delays occur on the way with tracert command in Windows. Basically, this will ping every server on the way to the specified host. However, this doesn't really tell you anything, unless you know what pings you should expect under normal circumstances.

13. Ixnatifual

Even with a great connection you could get a big 20 second lag spike, through no fault of yours or Blizzard's, after playing 200 hours with your character a steady ping under 100 and die.

14. MoneyMike

Tryin to decide whether or no it's worth it to play on the NA servers from Korea. I'm leaning Korean I guess, since the lag will make MP harder, so if I'll normally be soloing might as well do it with low ping. PvP should be better too.

Oh, first world dilemmas...
  15. MoneyMike

Oh, and in response to Azure's post:

I wasn't really worried about the killing blow. But in inferno when stuff takes many hits to die, this could cause problems between high lag and no lag players. And I'm just confused about how it would work. There can only be one computer resolving combat.

Thought experiment time!

2 Barb's are playing together. One has a high ping (300-400ms) the other has a low ping. They stand an equal distance away from a single mob, one to the right, one to the left. The high ping barb runs at the mob just before (like split second before) the low ping barb starts running. Now if the high ping barb's computer is resolving combat, the mob will aggro him and start running towards him, since he started moving first. If the low ping barb's computer is resolving, it could very well be the low ping barb who gets aggro'd and has the monster run at him, since even though the other barb started running first, his computer won't receive this info until after he has already started moving. One of these things has to happen, they can't both happen.

Or maybe I'm just talking a bunch of nonsense and none of this matters hahaha.
  16. Ixnatifual

Normally it's the servers that are resolving the combat and not the clients. In games where the client does all the work it's hack city. If both clients move at the same time, but his client has a connection problem and his input takes long to reach the server, the server won't know he's trying to move. Thus you will move first according to the server, and the monster will aggro you.

Once the other client's data reaches the server, it'll realise he's behind a bit and try to compensate somehow. In D2 this usually happened by speeding things up a little for a bit or by telling the client "dude you're not there, you're still here" and teleporting him back to his last known location according to the server.

In Diablo 2 I lost a hardcore barb by escaping a group of Oblivion Knights in the Chaos Sanctuary and running well back for a good while. What I didn't know was that I was in a lag spike, so after 20 seconds of running my client got the info from the server of what had happened in the time it thought I had spent running - which was standing still for 20 seconds amongst the Oblivion Knights I had sought to escape. So the graphical representation of this on the client was being teleported back into their midst as a corpse.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012