Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ladder reset tips and to-do list for the untwinked!

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Fizoo, May 8, 2013. | Replies: 19 | Views: 5611

1. Fizoo

Fizoo IncGamers Member

I'm compiling some tips and tricks and to-do list here to help the untwinked get off the ground!

1. Drognan in Act 2 normal sells 2 socket bone shields to make RHYME.
    2. The best place to get your SHAEL rune to build your RHYME shield is to just run around NM lower kurast popping chests / corpses / logs in multiplayer games. It'll drop fairly quickly, maybe an hour at most if youre quick.
    3. Ormus in Act 3 normal sells staffs with charges of teleport. I think they become available at 18, but can't be equipped until level 22 or 23 or so. Set aside 30 mins to shop Ormus until a cheap one spawns. SAVE ALL YOUR GOLD YOU COLLECT FROM YOUR FIRST 18-22 LEVELS FOR THIS ITEM!
    4. Farm normal cows for a white crystal sword. Use the socket quest on it for 4 sockets guaranteed and build your SPIRIT runeword out of it. ( Tal + Thul + Ort + Amn )
    5. Wealth (Lem + Ko + Tir) dusk shroud: Farm hell cows for white dusk shrouds. Use the socket cube recipe on them to roll for 3 sockets ( Tal + Thul + perfect topaz) You will roll 1-4 sockets each time. If you get a 4 socket one instead, you can toss 4 perfect topaz in for 96% MF (instead of the +300% gold/+100% MF from wealth)
    6. Most people have crappy belts in the beginning. Shop Halbu in A4 hell for magical plated belts with huge +life.
    7. farm hell cows for white monarchs. Use the socket quest on it for 4 sockets guaranteed to build your SPIRIT shield.
    8. Cow King rules: 1) If the Cow King Killer has never killed the cow king on that diff level, when he kills the the cow king, everyone in the cow level (partied or not) will get credit, and be unable to open the portal again. 2) If the Cow King Killer has killed the cow king in a previous game on that diff level, then there is no harm done to anyone in the game, partied or not. (added this info because a lot of the tips I gave refer to the use of the cow level)
    9. Woestave (the unique halberd) is a common item to find early in the game, and incredibly powerful on an act2 merc because of its "slow monsters by 50%" affix. It does a nice job of slowing Act bosses. It usually procs almost immediately once the merc is in position. It is AWESOME to use on Baal, because it also turns off ALL of his specials. Baal afflicted by the "slow monsters" debuff will not teleport, not summon his clone, not cast his ice spear thing that knocks you back, and pretty much sit docile while you beat him down.
    10. The most useful battle.net "tip" that some never notice is that yes, in fact, you can type a game name in the name field, highlight it, press ctrl-c, and save it to your clipboard. This can be pasted back into the name field with ctrl-v. This makes life a lot easier if you are running baal games, as you don't ever have to remember the game name. You just save it to your clipboard the first time and enter. When you exit, you can paste it back, increment the count by 1, and resave to the clipboard. A massive quality of life improvement over typing "killbaal-74" repeatedly...

Best places to level (debatable):

3-15: normal Tristram
    15-20: A2 tombs or solo in canyon of the magi
    20-25: A3 normal council
    25-47: normal baal
    47-71: nm baal
    71+: hell baal

Remember, USWest is best! USEast has failed to join errors! USWest does not!!!!!
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  2. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

May I note something?

Why go for Dusk when that has a max of 4 sockets? There are a ton of decent Def armors with max 3 sockets, in NM.
    And you dont have to wait for Hell to get that Lem rune..

2. Lazy version, due to non-existent cow/travi runs, is that you do Tomb runs until lvl 24. Then do the Ancient quest for lvl 25.

3. If your ping is more suited for the EU server, let me know if you are going to play from the first hours of the ladder. Ill be arranging a list of player to play with!

Nice list otherwise! Now I know better how to get that elusive Shael rune, I always rage about early ladder! :nod:

Peace and love
  3. juju

juju IncGamers Member

asap when ladder starts its not worth to do exp runs trist/tomb/baal etc... You will get alot of exp just rushing to hell fast as you can. Nightmare baals is first exp place you should run. (if needed)
  4. Locohead

Locohead IncGamers Member

Interesting about the Bone Shield, with its higher block. That would be good for Rhyme; however, bone shield has max 2 sockets, so won't work for Ancients' Pledge.

Are staves of teleport really used by people? I usually play Sorc as my first char. Guess it could be nice for a Necro; expensive to recharge though.

I don't bother with Wealth runeword... I'd rather save the Lem and Ko for item upgrades or other uses. 4 Perfect Topaz armor is fine.

Here's my tip - you need to be at least L66 to purchase any Jeweler's items. I usually level in nightmare to at least L67 (often L70) and then go shopping at Larzuk in A5 for Jeweler's Gothic Plate (with suffix if I'm lucky) and a 3 socket helm if I don't have one already. Load them up with 7 PTopaz and you're ready for some NM Meph grinding.
  5. royalairfarce

royalairfarce IncGamers Member

Just a minor tip: Always keep a Flawless Amethyst in your stash in case u run into a Gem Shrine. Keep those perfect gems and sell em to Juju in packs:p
  6. DjSlayer

DjSlayer IncGamers Member

Untwinked means no help and play with what you find, shop, gamble, and craft, you'll have max 3 socket quests and max 3 imbue quests (and depending on how you want to play only 3 stat resets too). It will be hard to get to normal ancients by level 24 playing untwinked.

- D.J.
  7. Fizoo

Fizoo IncGamers Member

Ok, edited the guide to remove the reference to 3os bone shields.

I use staves of teleport until i get my hands on a teleport ammy later. Never had an enigma - ladder seasons are too short to build a legit one. :/

Staves of teleport aren't really expensive to recharge, as long as you keep an eye out for items you can vendor for big monies, like high end armor, 2H staffs, necro wands, etc.
  8. Fizoo

Fizoo IncGamers Member

You can find the way out of most dungeons without maphack. There is actually a pattern!

Zath's Map Layouts
    http://www.theamazonbasin.com/d2/forums/index.php?showtopic=36294

9. Fizoo

Fizoo IncGamers Member

Courtesy bump for ladder season 2013-2014!
  10. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

Nice list! But what about the arcane sanc? Any tips there?

I'll add a small list for bowazons when I get back from work. Damn you, work. Damn you.
  11. GIJoeWWW

GIJoeWWW IncGamers Member

Any idea on when the reset will be?
  12. tougeznut

tougeznut IncGamers Member

Nov. 26th I think. There's a new thread about it.

sent from my GalaxySIII
  13. pehtoori

pehtoori IncGamers Member

Nice, I wish I had found a post like this earlier. Very useful for SP also. :) Don't think I'll be joining ladder though, internet can't handle it.
  14. GIJoeWWW

GIJoeWWW IncGamers Member

Just saw the announcement. Now what am I going to do for the next week and a half? I think I will start with another skellimancer. They are ridiculously easy.
  15. Fizoo

Fizoo IncGamers Member

How to set up your computer to remind you to keep your D2 accounts from expiring!

Use task scheduler! The instructions for task scheduler in windows 7 are at this link!
    http://www.howtogeek.com/120566/how-to-create-a-repeating-alarm-in-windows-7-without-extra-software/

text instructions:

1. open start menu
    2. type "task scheduler" in search box
    3. start up task scheduler
    4. go to the Actions window on the far right
    5. click "Create Task"
    6. On the General Tab, name it "relog in all D2 accounts!"
    7. Click on the Trigger Tab
    8. Click the New button
    9. Select the Daily radio button
    10. Set your start time to be like a week before the accounts expire, which is 90 days I believe. So 2 months and 3 weeks?
    11. Check expire and set that for the full 90 days
    12. Go to the Action Tab
    13. Click New
    14. Set the action drop down to "Display a message"
    15. Set title to "Your D2 accounts are about to expire!"
    16. Set Message to "Login to all your D2 accounts now!"
    17. Click OK to close the action window
    18. Click OK again to create this Task
    19. Now back on the main task scheduler window, goto the far left window and open the Task Scheduler Library
    20. Find the task you just created called "relog in all D2 accounts!", right-click it, and select RUN
    21. A test window will pop up to show you what the message will look like...you can close that and Task Scheduler.
    22. DONE!
  16. Exerlious

Exerlious IncGamers Member

Just a observation. You recommend using the socket quest to put for 4os in a Crystal Sword. Having done that I only get 3os. It seems odd to me that I have had this happen since the item drops regularly with 4os in the game. Anyways, I love the rest of the tips.

Cheers!
  17. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

It needs the right ilvl to get 4os. 26+.

41+ iirc, is required to get 6os.
  18. Rodrigo

Rodrigo IncGamers Member

Did it drop with low quality and was upgraded with the Eld + chip recipe? That'd only allow 3 socks on any weapon.
  19. Fizoo

Fizoo IncGamers Member

There is a ladder reset scheduled for tuesday, May 27th, 2014!

The diablofans d2 skill calc appears to be GONE. I can't find it anywhere.

Here is a link to a possible replacement calc.
    http://diablo2.ingame.de/spiel/skills/calc/index.php?lang=en

Its a german website. The interface is not as slick, but I do see it is at least more accurate with its data in some cases. For example, it correctly calculates clay golem HPs according to difficulty level. (Clay golem has vastly more HP in hell than normal)

If anyone has a working link to the old diablofans skill calc, let us know! :)
  20. Fizoo

Fizoo IncGamers Member

Adding a new section today on shopping for necro wands for untwinked new skelliemancers! (culled from the other d2 forum)

You want +3 raise skeleton and +3 skeleton mastery. What's the best method of getting one (or something very close?) As it turns out, there is a complicated system for shopping wands. I will focus on A1 normal mostly because that's where to go.

Necro wands in shops have a tier system assigned to them. The tier system is as follows:

Tier 1: Amplify Damage, Teeth, Bone Armor, Skeleton Mastery, Raise Skeleton
    Tier 2: Dim Vision, Weaken, Poison Dagger, Corpse Explosion, Clay Golem
    Tier 3: Iron Maiden, Terror, Bone Wall, Golem Mastery, Raise Skeletal Mage
    Tier 4: Confuse, Life Tap, Poison Explosion, Bone Spear, Blood Golem
    Tier 5: Attract, Decrepify, Bone Prison, Summon Resist, Iron Golem
    Tier 6: Lower Resist, Poison Nova, Bone Spirit, Fire Golem, Revive

Shopped wands can choose their spells from these tiers and it depends on the level of your char that you shop with!

The level of your char is also complicated. When you shop for wands in Act 1 normal, your character's level is boosted 5 levels when rolling the wands. So for example, if you shop with a level 1 char, the wands will roll as if you are actually level 6. If you are level 6, the wands will roll as if you are level 11.

The formula for this is ilvl = clvl + 5

clvl is your char's level. ilvl is the level you are boosted to when you shop in Act 1 normal.

Here is precisely how the shop selects from the Tiers:

If your ilvl is from 0 to 11, it will pick from Tier 1 and Tier 2.
    If your ilvl is from 12 to 18, it will pick from Tier 1, 2, and 3.
    If your ilvl is from 19 to 24, it will pick from Tier 1, 2, 3, and 4.
    If your ilvl is from 25 to 36, it will pick from Tier 2, 3, 4, and 5.
    If your ilvl is 37 or more, it will pick from Tier 3, 4, 5, and 6.

This is why high level chars never see raise skeleton or skeleton mastery in shopped necro wands. It cannot pick from those spells!

The best chance of finding raise skeleton and skeleton mastery on a shopped wand is if your ilvl is between 0 and 11. Since at level 1, your ilvl is already 6. At level 6, your ilvl is 11.

That means you should shop for that awesome skelliemancer wand between level 1 and 6!

It can be extremely expensive, so the best method is to save a ton of gold. But you will be way past level 6 by the time you do. So just give the gold to a level 1 alt and have it shop for the wand.