Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Kodiak... why hunger?

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Erfel, Feb 6, 2013. | Replies: 4 | Views: 3796

1. Erfel

Erfel IncGamers Member

I decided to try this build... sounds funny and effective.

So I geared up
    Guillaume's
    Duress
    Azurewrath
    Dracs
    Gore rider
    Nosferatu

What I still miss is a decent shield.

First question... tiamat? Or whatever?

Then... this build is based on attacks really fast and a lot of crushing blow.
    Hunger gives a lot of life/mana leech, but lower physical damage. That's why you need weapon like azurewrath, fast and with a lot of magic/elemental damage.

Ok, nice, blabla... but, unless tiamat does this huge difference (i don't think so) this build is still really slow in killing large number of mobs... crushing blow with weak enemies isn't that usefull, and your damage still sucks.

Now... why hunger? Really, I can't stand the point in using it. Of course, a lot of life leech, but 100+% of life leech is calculated on physical damage... which is low!
    So, why not using Fury (faster attack) or maul (stunning effect) with some more life leech eq?
    If you deal 100 damage, 100% life leech means 100 life... if you deal 300 damage, 33% life leech is still 100 life gained!

Do you really care that much about life leech? Feral rage? Why not?

Really, this thing is getting me crazy... why hunger, why????
  2. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

No reason really. Hunger is an underpowered skill, and some people just like using underpowered builds sometimes.
  3. onderduiker

onderduiker IncGamers Member

You aren't the first to have played a Kodiak and express disappointment with its performance. Unfortunately, a bug results in a Werebear using Hunger only actually executing every other attack, which means that their fastest attack rate is effectively 8 frames, not 4. The build was proposed before this was known, and it was supposed to be easier to achieve a 4 frame attack rate with Hunger than with Maul or Fire Claws.

As it stands, this isn't the case. Beyond the supposed attack rate advantage, Hunger only gets +30% Attack Rating more than Maul, and costs one less mana than Fire Claws. Otherwise, the quartering of physical damage and effective doubling of attack rate mean that, compared to Maul or Fire Claws at fastest attack rate, a Werebear effectively steals life and mana equivalent to a standard attack with 1/8 Hunger's displayed percentages: level 20 Hunger (176%) is equivalent to adding 22% (176/8) Life and Mana stolen per hit to a standard attack.
  4. Erfel

Erfel IncGamers Member

Sad to hear this... i thought i finally found a good build for a dudu.

I'm really disappointed that i can't find any dudu build that is not worse than a similar build of another char :(

Thank you both
  5. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

Yeah, the bug makes Hunger even worse than it already would have been. Werebear druids can still wreck some demons with Maul, though, which is what I'd do.