Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Kicker preparing for ubers - questions about survival

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Turbocannon, May 21, 2012. | Replies: 6 | Views: 4377

1. Turbocannon

Turbocannon IncGamers Member

So, I'm trying to make a kicker that can solo the ubers, and I have a problem. I just can't seem to reach 300 @res. It's because I'm poor, of course: I can't afford Chains of Honor so I'm only using a Duress, my Kira's and Sanctuary are only about medium, my Mara's is low, I don't have a lot of @res charms, etc. So is it possible to survive with less than 300 @res against Mephisto? I was thinking that if Cloak of Shadows can bind all the minions, I'll take less punishment from the minions, and if I can just reach ~270-280 lres, I should still be pretty good... this is all just theory, though, since I've never done ubers before. Anyway, what do I absolutely need to improve on to be able to do it?

EDIT: Also, disregard the "can't afford CtA" part, I *can* actually afford one. Just bought one too.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  2. hubb

hubb IncGamers Member

I haven't done them with a kicker before, but for what it's worth:
    Thundergod's Vigor can do a whole lot to counter Meph's lightning bolts*, with that you should able to handle Meph just as well as the other Ubers even if your LR isn't quite maxed after conviction. Assuming Gores and 35% CB on your weap, I think losing the 15% CB from Duress by using Smoke instead should be fine. You could maybe swap that in just vs Meph.

Wiz Spike with Guillaume's Face instead of whatever with Kira's be something else to consider? I dunno, rather wait for the 'sin experts ;D

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  3. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Sin expert here.

In a pinch, Moser's with 2 Pdiamonds can add quite a bit of +All Res. Ideally, you'd have Stormshield, but Moser's can work since Fade provides the DR% anyway.

Cloak of Shadows will override your Life Tap, so use it to blind initially and single out the Uber. Beyond that, rely on Tap and don't use Cloak in that battle.

I also have a "budget" one, but with medium-good gear (SS, CoH, etc). A quick preview of my kicker (who is a Kick / Trap):

Helm: Rockstopper (40Cold/40Lightning with 19 Life/20 Mana Jewel)
    Amulet: crafted (+1Sin/9FCR/12STR/16 Mana/9%Regen Mana) <-----Needs res, and Mara's is perfect for yours.
    Shield: SS with Ith Rune for DTM%
    Weapon: Jade Talon with Ber (43 Res)
    CoH Gothic Plate
    Drac's
    227/19 Raven
    IK Belt (Yes, IK :p)
    Rare Ring (6% Mana Leech, 11 STR, 2 Energy, 5 Mana, 27 CR, 25 FR)
    Upped Gores
    Misc +17-20 Life SC (plain), +30-40 Life GC (plain) Again, no res here, so no sweating it too much.

I have stacked res in Hell without Fade (Base point!), and have ~65-70 under Meph's Aura (I think, I know it's 50+, but memory is rusty).

This char has single-handedly supplied 3 of my Torches, and at least 2-3 others that I sold for more organs/Runes. What I suggest is the strategy of Ubering rather than stressing over gear.

Diablo: If you only fight Diablo, you click and hold. The monsters won't kill you while Tap is out, and my 12K AR can hit the Uber to keep me alive. I use a Shadow Master cast at the very edge of the screen since she tends to MB when at a distance and I'm actively engaged. I even drop a MB every now and then to distract (only at full HP, and not often or Tap might not save me). Diablo is the easiest.

Baal: This is why I'm a part trapper. The mana leechers / drainers are why I use DTM gear. Traps will help clear the Ghosts / Vampires, and I can focus on Baal. Even I die / have to get him alone some times. Takes practice, and patience.

Mephisto: He will hit hard even at high res under Conviction, and has 1 shot me a few times. It sucks, but it's infrequent. Traps also clear about half the skeletons (the Poison Immunes). They aren't much, so I use it as a help to hurt him. Sometimes good to Cloak and regroup.

4. Turbocannon

Turbocannon IncGamers Member

Thanks for the help so far, although looking at your equipment, I just don't see how you have anywhere close to 300% stacked resists!:scratchchin:

Just tested out the build on the organ bosses with a cheap Strength weapon (gonna get something better like Stormlash), and while I died a few times getting the hang of it, I had no problems other than Life Tap failing to activate. That's a problem I'm not sure how I'll solve, since my secondary weapon slot is already occupied by CtA. Probably with a lot of full rejuvs. Still, if it's so risky already, I'm really worried about Mephisto - especially since according to Youtube videos I'm gonna have to fight more minions than in either of the three organ sites.

My shield is a Sanctuary with +57% all res, which is pretty good IMO. I could roll for a better one, but unless as a last resort, I don't see myself doing that as I can't afford to throw away Mals for uncertain gains.

5. magicrectangle

magicrectangle IncGamers Member

I wrote a relatively lengthy ubers section for my kick/trap assassin guide. Quoting a relavant portion:

6. Deathnight

Deathnight IncGamers Member

What is the build for killing lilith ?

7. magicrectangle

magicrectangle IncGamers Member

I'm not sure what you mean, you kick her in the face, just like you do everything else.