Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Key farming builds for DH

Discussion in 'Demon Hunter' started by Llama8, Dec 12, 2012. | Replies: 9 | Views: 6456

1. Llama8

Llama8 IncGamers Member

I'm currently using the MS build & enjoying it, but I don't have anywhere near the gear level to take it into higher MPs for key farming, so does anyone have any suggestions as to what builds are better for key farming?

This is my gear atm.

2. Ivan E

Ivan E IncGamers Member

I don't have much to contribute -- I'm playing self-found and can't consistently go above MP1/MP2 right now.

However, I assume the Devouring Arrow/Ball Lightning/4 Defensive Disc skills build probably works fairly well. I say Ball Lightning solely because it's hilarious to use on the A2 Keywarden -- just fire a bunch, wait a few seconds, and watch him die as each ball hits him about 15 times as it passes through his bubble.

3. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

I can't say this is my area of expertise (my DH is my most neglected character... though still level 60 and my wizard, wd, and monk have yet to accrue more elite kills or play time), but the more successful DHs I've played with used a build kinda like this. It is pretty defense-oriented so that you can survive at higher MP levels and the damage-dealing skills are oriented towards being very efficient with your hatred to give you enough sustained dps to kill elites. There is a good bit of room to play with skill runes and passives to increase offensive capabilities if you're defending yourself well, but this is a good starting point.

Considering your gear, you might want to try using Chain Gang (Shock Collar) to take advantage of your crossbow's life on hit and give you a few more tactical options. Your resists and dps work out to be a bit low; I'm not sure how high you'll be able to push the MP before you'll run out of the ability to out-heal damage with Gloom or just run out of discipline. You might try using Nightstalker instead of Numbing Traps to keep disc up.

I think I'm out of advice. Good luck! XD

4. Adeyj

Adeyj IncGamers Member

Heya,
    good skills for higher mps are bola shot- thunder ball (for stun) impale - chemical burn (damage on elites),
    caltrops - for slowing mobs down, rain of vengeance - beastly bombs.
    Id also run with archery, steady aim & night stalker.
    I cant see higher mps being very efficient with below 100k dps though, expect to die a fair bit.
    It might be better to run at mp3 or so & do more runs, mp 5 or more will be tough on you.
    I run mp5 for key hunting, above that is hard work/ boring as elites take ages to die. :(

5. Llama8

Llama8 IncGamers Member

Swapping in Nether Tentacles in place of Multishot has made a big improvement to my DH's ability to not get creamed in higher MP levels, I can cope with MP4 reasonably well, only dieing a few times on a key run in act 3 which is good enough for me.

6. Davidus

Davidus IncGamers Member

i'm using this: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#QUghed!ZXf!aZYbcb

but it's a one hander build.
    you spamming cluster grandades(hits multiple times so crits a lot = almost infinite discipline) while throwing spike traps

not too familiar with the 2 hander high mp builds but the most important thing is to buy a stone of jordan
    bonus vs elites is huge on high mps

7. Kalixian

Kalixian IncGamers Member

For higher MP I swap to the danetta's set, both with high LoH (about 1500 total) and use a similar build to the poster above me.

Cluster grenades
    Gloom
    Vault
    Guardian Turret
    Prep
    Jagged spikes or echoing blast depending on mood

Archery
    Perfectionist
    Numbing traps

I'm not sure why the above poster isn't using numbing traps, which is a really core part of the build IMO. Guardian turret is better than the boar as well IMO. Cloud does work well though.

But you need dual 1h and big LoH and preferably a bunch of IAS gear to make this work.

I haven't tried it with nighstalker (not sure why), I'll try that today and see how it goes. Would love to swap out prep for something else if it goes well.

8. Kalixian

Kalixian IncGamers Member

Ok, yeah, nightstalker is f***ing awesome with this build.

If you can survive without numbing traps, archery is the way to go.

I've also tossed prep and added in cloud, since prep isn't' really needed with nightstalker providing so much disc. I could be talked into boar or other things over the cloud though. In groups with a CM wiz, mark of death is great (the one that places it aoe over the ground).

9. Ghoulz

Ghoulz IncGamers Member

I tried this out. A super tanky build that can stall all day long. Outlasting packs in MP 3-4 right now. Haven't tried 5.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Ghoulz-1759/hero/27172145

50% damage reduction and some alright physical resists. I don't have to leave the sentry's area often. Willingly letting an elite pack swarm me to stun them with fan of knives then falling back with strafe and setting down another sentry I just repeat the process. It would work so much better if I used 100% movement speed and actually had movement speed on my gear. I'm so slow and can't even escape if I tried, but I haven't needed to do that so far.

There is one problem, the Keywarden in Act II. My strafe and bola shot bounce back in my face so I was just dancing around him with sentry. They don't seem to be affected.

10. 0blique

0blique IncGamers Member

For the act 2 warden, there's a very easy way to kill him. You can use hungering arrow and shoot him just out of his activation range. Just keep his slow missiles shield just barely visible on screen and make sure you see the lightning bolts coming from him. Once the shield disappears, you know he is dead and you can check his drops.