Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Key Bindings in Diablo 3

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by please, Jan 21, 2012. | Replies: 18 | Views: 8071

1. please

please IncGamers Member

Key Bindings in Diablo 3

deleted post.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  2. Karpalo

Karpalo IncGamers Member

Re: Key Bindings in Diablo 3

You can rebind the hotkeys in D3.

3. JustAnotherOldGeezer

JustAnotherOldGeezer IncGamers Member

i've been wondering this too

i cant imagine NOT being able to swap teleport on right click as i did in D2... it just feels unnatural for me to have to hit whatever number 1-4 and hover my mouse over the destination location.

i'd be interested to hear any beta players feedback, especially if they were long-time d2 players

4. Gamekk

Gamekk IncGamers Member

I've been a long-time d2 player and I was very used to cast everything with the right click.

The beta currently allows us only to use only 4 skills. Yet, I never had to choose between which skill would fit the best on the right mouse click. Some skills feel indeed easier to cast with the right mouse button, but it all comes down to the same process and with practice, there is about no difference.

5. JustAnotherOldGeezer

JustAnotherOldGeezer IncGamers Member

thanks! good to hear it's just a matter of getting used to it.

6. Bowzer

Bowzer <a href="payments.php">IncGamers Site Pal</a><br>D

I have re-bound my mouse keys to my bar skills, as I have three programmable keys on the side of my mouse.

The only thing I'm currently using my keyboard for in combat is shift attacking and chugging pots.

I've been meddling with a way to hot switch macro sets and extend those 3 keys to 6 by using the mouse scroll button. Been having a hard time being efficient with it, but I just need to get used to it I guess.

7. imthedan

imthedan IncGamers Member

Yeah, haven't done it yet, but I plan on using the buttons on my mouse. The beta was a little easy, so I only had to use two skills the whole time. This time around, after the wipe, I am going to try some off the wall type classes and program some buttons on my mouse so I can do the skills from there. Just use the shift key and pots button as Bowers said.

8. Chaboi

Chaboi IncGamers Member

As the development process continues to mature..I want more and more for blizzard to open the game up to modding. That way I can use the UI the way I want and the newer players can have the simplified interface for their benefit

9. Lolzebracakes

Lolzebracakes IncGamers Member

I am not a beta tester so I cant vouch for how it will work "in game", but with the current set up I will probably only rebind 1 key. Keep Auto Attack on left click and 1 spell on right click. Main Index finger on 4, Middle on 3, Ring on 2, Pinky 1. 5 will still be potion button but rebind ~ to my last skill, which will be my most situation based ability.

Spam fingers = 4/3/right click

10. Nizaris

Nizaris Clan Officer - US West Hardcore

I've felt the same. I still do. I've been playing the Beta since the first week and I've actually felt odd using the hotbar in general. Perhaps it is just me, but it feels less efficient to use a hotbar - especially if you are spamming a skill. I think it works best for buff activation and longer-cooldown skills.

You get used to it, sorta, but I can't help but feeling my reaction time would be cut considerably if I could just swap the right-click with my bound keys.

11. Scorch Hellfire

Scorch Hellfire IncGamers Member

Don't use it for skills you would spam then... you can bind 3 different things to your left and right mouse buttons...

12. Grayson Carlyle

Grayson Carlyle IncGamers Member

By definition, your reaction time would be slower.

13. joeb

joeb Banned

Just install a mouse driver and assign keys as you wish, whether they lock them or not you can program what you like.

14. please

please IncGamers Member

deleted post.

15. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

You can, but with a few restrictions.

First of all, in the new patch you unlock the hotbar slots simultaneously with the skill slots. This means, that until level 4 there's only 2 hotbar slots available to you, where before you had all 7 (counting the RMB switch, which is also out).

Also, moving a skill to another slot on your hotbar is a pain in the *** at the moment, because you are not allowed to assign a skill to multiple slots. For example if you want to move Frost Nova from the first slot to the second you first have to change the first slot to something else (which may not possible at the lower levels if you don't enable Elective Mode), then assign Frost Nova to the second slot. The really big slap in the face is that you can't do this simply by using the hotbar like in previous patches. To achieve this, you have to open the new skill UI and do an unreasonable amount of mouse clicks.

Basically, the whole skill management is a mess, but no functionality is really lost, except our ability to assign a skill to multiple buttons.

No, you can still change the key bindings to anything you like in the options, even to mouse buttons or the mouse scroll.

If you're confused about something (I wouldn't be surprised if you are, the new UI is truly horrible) ask more specific questions and I'll try my best to answer them.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  16. please

please IncGamers Member

deleted post.

17. Widukind

Widukind IncGamers Member

It's still not really clear to me. Can you still have a DII set up where you bind skills to your left or right mouse button and assign them with custom keys? So for example: 'A' would be bound to Bash and pressing 'A' would assing this skill to one of your mouse buttons? I really liked this system and it seems much more convenient than using the keys to directly activate skills.

18. joeb

joeb Banned

Even if blizzard forced you to use a config...you get a good driver and it allwos you to reassign keys....or you could go into your registry an change which keys are which...very easy to get around...well second way isn't. But I had to do it. I eliminated the windows hot key and all kaps and the insert button. Num lock was on chopping block but it disnt interfere. Just google.

19. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

You can find more experienced D2 players than me and I only "played" D3 on an emulated server, but I did a fair amount of testing with the working skills to get a feel for the controls.

The new control scheme does require a certain amount of acclimatization from veteran D2 players, especially if they didn't encounter it in other games before (in Titan Quest for example). However, when you get used to it, I do believe that its a step up from D2's system, primarily for two reasons:

First, less button presses, therefor faster reaction times to the action. I think this is a no brainer.

Second, it does feel more natural. This is somewhat subjective, but let me give you an example. I just messed around with a barb with the emulator and I found that I really like to use Leap Attack, Ancient Spear and Bash together. I left Bash on my LMB, but made secondary keybinds to my mouse wheel up and down for Leap Attack and Ancient Spear, respectively. This makes it amazingly intuitive to use these skills together and I've actually found myself leaping, pulling monsters then bashing them away just for the fun of it. I can actually see myself making character build decisions based on what skills would feel natural to use together.

So yes, it will probably take some time to get used to the controls after D2, but it's worth it if you ask me.

It's not possible to do this currently, nor was it possible in previous patches.

You would need a 3rd party program, that makes it possible to emulate different key strokes with your mouse buttons, depending on what key you pressed the last time. I don't have experience with programs like this, so I don't even know if something like this exists at all.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012