Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Jay Wilson interview @ AusGamers

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Community Forum' started by fmulder, May 4, 2012. | Replies: 29 | Views: 3494

1. fmulder

fmulder Site Contributor

Jay Wilson interview @ AusGamers

Another Jay Wilson Australian interview, this time its AusGamers:
    http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3205698

2. Amarules

Amarules IncGamers Member

Enrage timers... Imokwiththis.jpg
  3. Zog Varnoka

Zog Varnoka IncGamers Member

Re: Jay Wilson interview @ AusGamers

Yea enrage timers. I knew it was coming :crazyeyes:
    Seems like inferno will require more tactical thought than most folks figured on. Not to mention bosses will probably need a definite plan to defeat them ala WoW style. I'm getting even more excited for the game now!
  4. BellaStrega

BellaStrega IncGamers Member

I liked this interview.

I'm okay with them tuning Inferno to be really hard. Obviously it should be doable, but hard. Enrage timers? Sure.
  5. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

Awesome interview all around, thanks fmulder for the heads-up.

Enrage timers are huge gear and skill checks. Now I see why progress through the later difficulties will be slower. You won't be able to cheese bosses by chain-stunning them and then slowly weathering them down. A good balance of defense and offense will be required. I like it.
    Last edited: May 4, 2012
  6. CoFran

CoFran IncGamers Member

i also hoped for that, but dont think its gonna be that complex, you have to figure its supposed to be soloable, no class or skill requirements. An enrage timer is easy to implement it can follow the same +75%HP to the boss per player rule but apply it to time.

7. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

I doubt he would have used this term if D3 enrage timers won't be same as in WoW, meaning that after a fixed amount of time the damage of the boss will double, triple or whatever will cause players to wipe.
  8. CoFran

CoFran IncGamers Member

yes thats what I mean, what i was saying is to not expect much more complexity from encounters then traditional enrage timers.

Unless inferno is not soloable (even when overgeared) because of mandatory classes or skills.
  9. Ivan E

Ivan E IncGamers Member

Enrage timers are lazy design, but I figure they had to use something as a gear check, so I guess that's what it's going to be.

My hope is that enraging makes a mob more challenging but not automatically impossible, at least, though I can see how that might defeat the purpose of the timer in the first place.
  10. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

Hah - QUANTIFIABLE proof that D3 scales harder than D2. Take that, doubters! :thankyou:
  11. Kblavkalash

Kblavkalash IncGamers Member

Awesome interview and very god interviewer with good questions :)
  12. Zog Varnoka

Zog Varnoka IncGamers Member

If you look at the SK fight in the beta, even it had mechanics which were similar to WoW raid bosses: watch for the laughing cue before the whirlwind attack, move in direction of/past summoned adds during WW attack so SK takes them out, farthest party member from SK always got targeted for tele-hit, dps phase when SK summoned skeles and so on. All of that for the easiest boss we are likely to fight. Yea the fight itself became trivial once you got some decent gear, but the mechanics were there.

That is why I think all bosses, not just end act bosses, will be more than just a gear check. In hell and inferno difficulties not only will you need the gear to beat the enrage timer, but you will also need to pay attention to mechanics and adjust accordingly.

13. CoFran

CoFran IncGamers Member

I completely agree with you Zog Varnoka, there will be positional and DPS/enrage mechanics. I dont think there will be anything else tho, like random debuffs (Thaddius, etc), heal checks (monk mandatory?, nah), tranq shots and the likes.

There's still a LOT with just positioning and enrage that you can do, but I'm not sure blizz has made the fights that much different then normal/night/hell aside from adding an enrage timer, I don't have a quote but I think they said it was the same game all over just harder (HP, Rare packs).

We can get our hopes up tho, theres only 10 days to go ;)
  14. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Huh, anti-wearing down the boss mechanic and anti-kite the baddies mechanics confirmed, then. They actually paid attention to the standard ARPG cheese.
  15. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

Some builds completely rely on kiting (which you honestly can't really do very effectively in D3 anyway).
    Said it in the main comments but enrage timers are just a really lazy way to address broken builds and gameplay mechanics, while also punishing non-optimal builds.

Non-optimal builds shouldn't get special consideration, but their punishment is defined as where they could normally kill a boss, it would take them fifteen minutes whereas your character could do it in five. That's punishment enough.

16. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

I was talking about the "walk backwards and shoot with no worries" kiting that is for some reason almost always allowed in ARPGs. Builds reliant on kiting will use CC to do so.

Elaborate on the enrage timer thing? You call it lazy, I call it efficient - selectively designing boss encounters to punish "abusive" tactics is a hopeless endeavor that may end up punishing actual legitimate playstyles.
  17. Risingred

Good design dictates that there wouldn't be abusive tactics. That's what patches and balancing are for.
    The way he described it made it sound as if champion packs, elites, and bosses all had enrage timers which I would call lazy. In a game like D3, there's two punishments for sub-optimal builds:

1. You die.
    2. You take a long time to kill stuff.

This just kills build variety in end-game. I'm not opposed to, say, an act boss having an enrage timer because that is, indeed, a gear check (as is buffing damage and having debuffs that stack over time that cannot be avoided). I think they used it simply as a butt-covering tactic to make sure players didn't beat inferno in a few days. In other words, artificial difficulty.

Oh, and as for kiting, there's a huge speed buff on elite monsters in Diablo III and CC becomes necessary just to keep those monsters moving at a pace that you can deal with. I ran into an elite pack of unburied in the beta that absolutely stomped a demon hunter I had because I had no way to deal with their ridiculous movement speed.

18. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

I somehow doubt it's possible to design a game with as many variables as Diablo 3 to individually address every form of abusive skill/gear/tactic combination possible.

For the sub-optimal build thing - we don't know the range of power at end-game. For all you know, a normal, reasonably optimized build can beat a champion pack in 15 seconds, an horrendously unoptimized (but appropriately geared i.e. good weapon and good armor) build does it in 30, and the enrage timer is 1 minute. Enrage timers don't kill build variety. Bad execution of game balance does.

Yeah, I noticed it a few times. It actually made elites, well, a threat to ranged characters. I like that they are extending the same power boost to the cannon fodder.
  19. Risingred

With enrage timers, apparently.

Then I fail to see what the point of the enrage timer would be. To be quite blunt.

They certainly don't help it at all. Bad execution of game balance, to me, includes enrage timers. I don't expect to have an issue with them, I'm just pointing this out.

20. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

It will just address abuses that allow a player to slowly grind down a boss they have no business beating at their current gear level. It doesn't actually physically prevent the abusive tactics, it just punishes their use. And there could be other abuses that aren't solvable with timers anyway, like allowing a player to kill a boss too fast or somehow avoid all damage taken.

Gear check on bosses, as you said. If done right on elites, this could actually contribute to making those fights even more exciting - what if you run into a situation where you don't just get a nice, freebie isolated fight against a champion pack? Two champion packs, some supporting monsters that can potentially extend the fight if you make mistakes, etc.

Enrage timers aren't execution in and of themselves, they are a tool. Their implementation is the execution. Until you see them in practice, you can't say they are bad execution. Do we even know what the enrage timer does exactly in D3? Is it instant stat buffs, is it progressively strengthening buff, does it automatically allow the enemy to one shot a tank build, etc.?