Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Jay Wilson has left the Diablo III project

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Polkiousness, Jan 17, 2013. | Replies: 112 | Views: 12727

1. Polkiousness

Polkiousness IncGamers Member

2. eziyac

eziyac IncGamers Member

doubt it since the expansion is already in the making.
  3. windstriker

windstriker IncGamers Member

Woha, that's big news and it doesn't make me happy. Far from, it's NEVER good to change developer like this. Usually a lot of knowledge is lost in the change.

Might explain why the monk update that was promised with changes to passive skills etc hasn't come, as Jay was responsible for that class.

Edit: Quote from a reply on Wilsons byebye-letter "Brace yourselves, the Barb nerfs are coming......."
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]It surely made me laugh :p
    [/FONT]
  4. KaiserDiablo

KaiserDiablo IncGamers Member

He made his money, nothing left for him to do now except move on and ruin another game.
  5. TheShaft

TheShaft IncGamers Member

Now I fell a little bit better after wasting my money on Diablo 3.
  6. Dreadbringer

Dreadbringer IncGamers Member

They havn't even decided who will be game director after he has left???
    Sounds like like the big fire squad at Blizz is involved.

I do NOT think we will see him at any high position inside Blizz's A-titles. Too many mistakes.

bypassing of the word filter deleted
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2013
  7. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes IncGamers Member

Could be both good and bad really.

Knowlegde is certainly lost which is bad. It might be an indication that Diablo 3 is of less interest to Blizzard - if we assume they are actually happy with Wilson and want to move him to something new instead of a "finished" game.

On the other hand, there are so many things that indicate (in my opinion which is based on absolutely nothing, yada yada) that the management of Diablo 3 wasnt very well handled. Not because of how the game turned out at all - I'm convinced bad games can have great management, and while difficult the other way around is possible as well - but more because of all the "flip flopping" and overall erratic behavior in the development, and to some degree also problems of handling the fan base.

A leader seriously have to be able to point out a vision and make everyone move toward that vision - it doesn't matter if its even his personal vision, it isn't necessarily the leaders job to create the vision.
    Instead it felt like Diablo 3 was governed by "Vision of the month" and endless second-guessing, maybe/maybe not influenced by the angry fan base - which would be angry no matter what Blizzard did, so fans should really have very little influence.
  8. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

He was a good dev. People might not agree with me, but he really has never been involved in a bad game.

Ah well. Best of luck for him. I wonder if he will be moving back towards working on SC2 and its expansions or maybe on Titan?

Diablo IS the "#3 game" for Blizz regardless.

Also, dunno about how you can "handle" the Diablo-fanbase anyways. We're talking about one of the most erratic fanbases in gaming, possibly just behind the Street Fighter fans.
  9. ShadoutMapes

Yeah. Which is why Jays idea of "be as open and receptive as possible" might not be the best idea. D3s development might really have been too open, the game been announced too early (making it harder to keep standing up to the tide of relentless fans).

I don't know how to handle the Diablo fanbase, but at arms length (or ten) might be a good start :D
  10. Muadib

Muadib IncGamers Member

Oh, you're right 100%. It's the poor managment of the project that is partially to blame why D3 is what it is. The other part is the fact that right from the it's beginning D3 was supposed to be monetized and appealing to MMO crowd, even when the project was still handled by Blizzard North.

The fact that J.W. is leaving D3 won't affect the game at all - they won't suddenly scratch all the stupid design decisions under the new managment just because Jay left the ship, 'cause he was not the person who decided in what direction D3 was heading, he just oversaw this direction. The new game director will do exactly the same so I wouldn't expect any groundbreaking changes to the D3 design - if you like, you will still like it, if you hate it they won't do anything to change your mind. And in the meantime Mr.Wilson will destroy some other Blizz title, probably that new MMO - project Titan.
  11. Ivan E

Ivan E IncGamers Member

This now makes Jon Schafer and Jay Wilson -- two guys that got fired for creating a sequel that was greeted with very harsh criticisms at first, and relatively close to one another, timing-wise.
  12. TheShaft

TheShaft IncGamers Member

Who is responsible for D3 design decisions? Rob Pardo?
  13. Kiroptus

Kiroptus IncGamers Member

So what? All the bad design choices for an ARPG are already deeply rooted into the game, as the above poster said, its not like its going to miraculously change into what everyone expected of a sequel to D2, the problem wasnt only him, it was that "WoW strike team" that poisoned the game in september with the main attribute nonsense and the (horrible) revamp to this bland itemzation. And also their team of beta-testers monkeys (who can get confused at weapon switch).

1.07 looks awful, there isnt anything interesting in the patch and I never thought I would say that even after experimenting the fabled patch that would bring PvP into the game, a big feature everyone was waiting for had a very lukewarm reception from everyone and with reason. Seriously, Jay's departure means absolutely nothing when everything is already rotten.

I dont know who could replace him... Jay and his dev team seem to have frozen in fear in light of the horrible reception that the game received, it caught them off-guard as they actually expected that the game released in May 2012 would be enough. They have been spending those 9 months cramming features to attempt to fix their misguided vision for the game, there never was a proper vision to follow, a plan, a design plan, it was about hearing complaints and throwing a terrible solution that barely solved the problem, it was chaos so far.

This is certainly big news, on every gamming site this is being reported (and with comments all stating how horrible D3 is and celebrating his departure) but for the future of D3 it doesnt mean much unless the new director is someone up to break lots of barriers imposed by JW's game systems.
  14. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

I agree with above posts. Some things that turned me away from the game cannot possibly be removed irregardless of who is spearheading: the toddler streak, story mode lock, Act 1 is a fog machine, drunk Scotsmen everywhere, etc. To be fair to Jay, much of this was out of his hands.

Regarding his blue post, he keeps mentioning talent and passion of his former team, but I find the game merely borrows heavily from successful blueprints. Is it really talent to take a Mona Lisa and simply add garland and neon lights to the frame? Can borrowing from Star Wars and LotR really be called artistic passion? People liked the film 300; therefore, let's have the 300th spear item. That sure was easy. But is it art, and do you need highly paid experts to pull this off?

The post is also full of excuses. But when you have that much time, resource, and the game-building equivalent of steroids, there are no excuses imo. Of course, all this is just my own subjective thoughts on these matters.
  15. TheDestructor

TheDestructor IncGamers Member

I'm not a hater of D3, but it's hard to ignore the evidence, this is actually pretty accurate.
  16. Kiroptus

I agree with that, some people will see this and think "Oh poor Jay! That evil rabid fanbase drove him off and hurted his feelings!". He isnt some independent underdog developer that made bad decisions, he works for the big guys, for blizzard, the most powerful game company in the world and participated on a 7 year project for an isometric ARPG and received a very good paycheck for that and in the end, delivered something that wasnt on par with what people expected of the franchise.

There is also the "**** that loser" incident that showed his true colors, he isnt anything to feel sorry for.
  17. digitalforce

digitalforce IncGamers Member

Trying to be subjective, I don't think Diablo III was all Jay's fault but I KNOW he had a big part to do with why this game was such a disappointment for me and many others:

*THE LACK OF THE LOOT SLOT MACHINE EFFECT*

Every patch that comes out, I give the game another chance and play for dozens of hours. Every time, no fail, I come to the same conclusion. "Why am I wasting hour upon hour of my time weeding through worthless yellows?". I doubt this will change with Jay leaving but one can only hope... I play ARPGs for cool loot and fun upgrades. Diablo III has neither.

Boss loot sucks. Running high MF sucks. The itemization sucks. The story sucks. So in the end, what is there left to enjoy? I am still playing Titan Quest and still playing Sacred 2 Gold because I get that slot machine effect.
  18. pulli

pulli IncGamers Member

THe itemization is a matter of priorities.. It simply comes down to that: blizzard set the smooth feeling & nice fighting at a much higher priority than itemization.

Getting a better itemization isn't something that is actually hard: everyone has ideas and everyone knows better things; with a simply brainstorm session in a company like blizzard they woudl have 100s of good working ideas for more affixes. However balancing so it is actually fun, and everything is relativelly equal (even to the point of diablo 2) requires a lot of time. This hasn't improved in the 40 years that video gaming has progressed: balancing in this respect still requires man-made choices and to be done one by one.

Blizzard just didn't want to spent time on that? Is that jay wilson's fault? Yes I think that setting the priorities was his most important task. As such I think he failed: setting up more priority to smooth gaming experience simply couldn't cover the worse itemization for me. However can someone else fix this? I honestly doubt that at this point: it would require the manhours equivalent to the amount you see in an expansion pack. Yet to only bring out an expansion pack for more items?
  19. Kiroptus

I dont know if the game is salvagable at this point... I am very pessimist about it. Because as pulli stated the biggest problem is the itemzation, thats the most important part of the game, it should have been something that was done right at day one, but with it being so boring and unappealing doesnt help it at all.

Also the game has been poisoned by Real-money items, blizzard cant mess too much with the itemzation because of that, no patch so far dared to do anything other than buffing legendaries because that was just appalling on how horrible the legendaries were. But the overall feel of mainstat and boring affixes are here to stay, there is no magic patch for that. If they wanted to go crazy and add some new affixes and crazy new effects on more legendaries, they could, if there wasnt a RMAH in-place.

Too many things were done wrong and solidified itself into the game already, the RMAH and the lack of time to test stuff now that the game is up in the wild have hurted the game in a way its hard to recover.

And imo Jay's departure from D3 is just a political one, to appease the fanbase, he is probably still the main developer since he is still on blizzard, some other of his puppet will be involved in his place but JW might still be making the calls. To me its all done so people can buy the expansion, and its working, in the official forums everyone is saying how the expansion will now rock because of Jay's "departure", so it worked for the people who still have hope about this game ever being worthwhile.
  20. ShadoutMapes

As stupid as I believe people can be, I doubt people in any significant numbers would buy or not buy an expansion based on whether Jay Wilson was related to it.
    Most people just don't care or know who are behind the games they play.