Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Items with +% to cold damage skills

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by jparm3rd, Aug 14, 2013. | Replies: 7 | Views: 2668

1. jparm3rd

jparm3rd IncGamers Member

My question is whether or not a Paladin's skill, Holy Freeze's cold damage is boosted by items with +% to cold damage skill, like Ormus Robe or Nightwing's veil. If yes, is it a multiplicative or additive increase?
  2. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

It is. As far as how it is calculated, it's not going to be combined with anything else so it's purely multiplicative, but the effect would obviously add with stuff like facets. Sorry, that's probably the most confusing answer. Here is an example:

Slvl 25 Holy Freeze: 275-280 Cold Damage
    Factor in lvl 20 Cold Resist and Salvation synergies: 1485-1511 Cold Damage
    Nightwings (+15%), Ormus (+15%), 2xFacet (+10%): +40% Cold Damage
    Factoring the last two together (multiply by 1.4): 2079-2115

Does that answer your question?
  3. jparm3rd

jparm3rd IncGamers Member

It does answer my question. Thank you!
  4. onderduiker

onderduiker IncGamers Member

If Holy Freeze's cold attack damage is added to a melee attack, +% Cold Skill Damage is applied a second time so ~2,079-2,115 cold damage and +40% CSD results in ~2,910-2,962 cold damage being applied by a melee attack.

This does not apply when this cold attack damage is added to a ranged attack, despite what may be displayed by the character screen.
  5. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

Crap, forgot about the double application to melee fighters. Just to ponder the ridiculous, take a Jeweler's Armor w/ 4x Facet (+20%), an Artisan's Circlet w/ 3xFacet (+15%), a Jeweler's Sacred Targe w/4x Facet (+20%), and a Rune Master with 5xFacets (+25%), and a stock of other over the top gear.

You'd get 80%, twice. Which is +224% cold damage. So that 1485-1511 Cold Damage becomes 4,811-4,895. Plus -80% Cold Resists. I'm liking the sound of that.

Not to go off on a tangent, but it really would be cool to make an ultra-indestructable Frost Zealot. Make the Armor and Shield 'of Amicae' and the Circlet and Ammy 'of Life Everlasting.' Make slap on an Grief, some Safety-IAS gloves, an IAS jewel, and some happy charms and merc and you could be looking at around 5K Cold and 5K Physical Damage at 4 frames per attack w/ around 100 PDR. Sounds like a hardcore wet dream.....eh, you know what I mean.
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  6. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

Clerv,
    Not a freezer, but rather a teslot with the same idea. Around 1-16k light damage, and also good physical attack ( 4fpa ), good resistances etc. ( not absurdly trying to max damage alone, which is useless. this character is quite playable ). Based on the same idea ( massing +LSD ).

He's not particularly useful though.
  7. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

That's cool. I don't know how the double dip damage effect didn't occur to me. My Bearsorc is completely based around that principle. I suppose with the lightning route you could use Griffon's Eye and maybe Crescent Moon. Too bad it's not the good. There are so many cool mechanics that you can build a unique build around that don't really pan out, at least in comparison to alternatives.

For instance, I love the idea of a Ranger using Holy Fire and pierce via Kuko Shakaku doing crazy splash damage, but it just can't hold its own in hell where the monsters are beefed up to provide more resistance to super builds like Griefers and the abundant Fire Immunes just nullify it. With that in mind, it would be cool to have a Fire Rogue merc with Kuko and some fire gear, but the splash effect is turned off for mercs. Bah.
  8. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

It does but if you are planning on building a frost zealot just go for physical damage using gear like grief pb, guillaume's, hoz, fort, etc.