Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Item dropping in Town

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Fictional, Apr 28, 2012. | Replies: 18 | Views: 1370

1. Fictional

Fictional IncGamers Member

Item dropping in Town

Way back when, we had a group of people that played together. When we got items that didn't help the person we would drop them in town for others to use if needed.

Will they poof now or will there be a time limit on poofing? This non-poofing also allowed us to mule.

-Blue
  2. ElementEight

ElementEight IncGamers Member

Re: Item dropping in Town

Items poof in D2, if I recall...
  3. beingmused

beingmused IncGamers Member

An interesting question. I'll log into the beta, drop some white and blue items (since magic items would last longer in D2, wouldn't they?), let it run in the background, and find out.
  4. beingmused

After an hour and a half of testing, I learned two things:

1. Items dropped in town - magical or otherwise - will disappear if you leave town for more than 10 or 15 minutes or so. If you stay in town, they will remain indefinitely (at least for about 30 minutes)

2. Your follower has an interesting variety of things he will shout at you if you remain motionless for a long time.
  5. Enlil

Enlil IncGamers Member

I hate residents of Tristram. You try to help these people, leave a few things in town because your stash is full, leave town for a bit and on your return they have stolen all your gear -.-

6. Urzuxo

Urzuxo IncGamers Member

Ah, nuts that I just uninstalled the beta xD Oh well, I guess I'll find that out on retail.

7. beingmused

He's got about 5 idle lines. When he's feeling passive aggressive he will utter "When virtue tarries, evil smiles". But then sometimes he gets more pissed off and then just yells "I can't follow you if you're just going to stand around!"

I looked up the other followers idle lines out of curiosity, and those are much funnier. The enchantress makes jokes about her skimpy attire and makes references to a lesbian encounter...

8. Tobit

Tobit IncGamers Member

Wow, sounds pretty exciting.

So it seems like items might stick around as long as you're there. I wonder if leaving town and popping back in will "reset" the clock. Or if other players staying/popping in town will also reset it.

For the second question, I would assume that the game wouldn't care who is in town for poofing purposes. I doubt it keeps track of who dropped an item.
  9. Drakk

Drakk IncGamers Member

lol finders keepers, losers weepers

10. NewNeo

NewNeo IncGamers Member

Nice find. I haven't played much of the Beta so I didn't know this. I just know that I used to store all my extra gear on the ground around my full stash in D2. I guess Blizzard is on to our tricks.
  11. byrneda

byrneda IncGamers Member

Best way to move items around is to store them temporarily in the shared stash, then create a new character and transfer the items to their inventory until you need them again. Especially handy at the beginning as you'll be spending the first 10,000 gold you do get on buying rings/armour or training the blacksmith.

As for dropping equipment for others to use, a very noble and honour-worthy trait that is.
    Long may you vanquish the evils from Tristram! :)
  12. arcanium

arcanium IncGamers Member

items have a 10 minute drop timer. There was a blue post on it recently, but I cant seem to find it.
  13. Darkmere

Darkmere IncGamers Member

Somewhat related: You can show others items by shift+clicking them with the chat prompt open. It posts a WoW-style link in chat that others can click to see the item without you having to drop/risk losing it.
  14. Andy2702

Andy2702 IncGamers Member

Off-topic: Did they completely remove binding i.e. bind on pick-up, bind on equip, bind on anything? I remembered they had that a while back but never heard people complaining ever since...
  15. Genocides

Genocides IncGamers Site Pal

I believe it's still in place for certain quest items, but I don't think they have it for equipment outside of maybe CE stuff? I dunno.
  16. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

Yes, item binding is definitely out. It's most likely gone from quest items as well, since with the current matchmaking system there's no need for it.

17. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

I found a black mushroom and that was bound to account. Other than that I don't know of any items that are like that, and Blizzard specifically said that they will not use any such system for equipment.
  18. Tobit

Tobit IncGamers Member

So we might say it's out for now. I wouldn't be surprised if Blizzard decided at some point that they need binding to remove high end items from the economy. I know they've said they won't, but that doesn't hold a whole lot of water with me anymore.
  19. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

Honestly, with the current crafting costs I think the economy will be fine for a while. Still, inflation will happen sooner or later with the current system anyway, and the binding system would prevent that. At least I think it would. I wasn't against the binding system when it was announced for this reason and still wouldn't mind it on high-end items if it turns out that its still needed.