Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Is this illegal in your mind?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by inboy, Oct 22, 2013. | Replies: 51 | Views: 4055

1. inboy

inboy IncGamers Member

[h=2][/h] OK, hypothetical situation.

A brewery employs an 18 year old boy. His position does not require him to handle any of the beer, but he does handle the packaging (bottles, boxes, etc).

One of the perks of his working for the brewery is a free case of beer to go along with his paycheck. Now, since he is under-age, the boy is not allowed to hang out at the brewery and drink pints of beer with his co-workers, but he is allowed to claim his free case of beer and take it home.

Does this seem illegal to you, or is it cool since there is no proof that he is drinking the beer? Also bear in mind that he is not buying the beer; it is part of the compensation offered for working at the brewery.
  2. Pixie

Pixie IncGamers Member

If he's underage, I don't see why the brewery would give him a compensatory case of beer. He's going to either drink it or sell it, and neither are legal given that he's underage. The brewery should either tack onto his paycheck the at-cost price of the case, or because it's a bonus perk, just say tough ****, you're still a kid, you get no beer. It's not a matter of being cool or not. It doesn't matter what seems illegal or not, it only matters what is or not. Idk about Oz, but possessing it - regardless of whether you bought it, were given it, or a magickal ****in' fairy squeezed it outta her tits and bottled it in front of you - is still illegal in US/CA.
  3. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

Pixie pretty much covered it all, I don't see any reason why that should be allowed in the US.
  4. LozHinge the Unhinged

LozHinge the Unhinged IncGamers Member

Fascist .
  5. korialstraz

korialstraz IncGamers Site Pal

Haven't I seen a post like this before? I got a weird case of deja vu. >_>
  6. Glurin

Glurin IncGamers Member

Now that you mention it, it does sound familiar to me.
  7. Elly

Elly Administrator

Is it illegal to drink alcohol in your home if you're under 21 in the US? In the UK you can drink at the age of 5 in your home with your parent's consent, that's why I ask. You can't buy alcohol until you're 18 however.
  8. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Drinking in his house it accepted unless the kid is drunk in public or driving in which case someone can call the cops and guess who is liable.
    18 (your on your own and a full Adult for your crimes. Join the Army get a gun) to 21 (you get to drink in public and let you buy it cause you have not shot anyone with the gun the army gave you at 18. That they did not tell you to.) is OK.
    Younger and ChildProtetiveServices can get involved.

This is why no brewer would do this.
    Liability for his action(s) with the beer is arguable transfered to the Adults that gave it to him especally unsupervised.

The bars in the offices in Germany make more sense even in the USA (Supervised drinking) in Civil Law but not in criminal or at that age range.

Not a Lawyer and this is not legal advice.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  9. Glurin

Glurin IncGamers Member

Depends on the state. Here's a snip from Wikipedia on the subject.

The National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984 withholds revenue from states that allow the purchase of alcohol by anyone under the age of 21. Prior to the effective date of that Act, the drinking age varied from state to state. Some states do not allow those under the legal drinking age to be present in liquor stores or in bars (usually, the difference between a bar and a restaurant is that food is served only in the latter). Contrary to popular belief, since the act went into law, only a few states prohibit minors and young adults from consuming alcohol in private settings. As of January 1, 2010, 15 states and the District of Columbia ban underage consumption outright, 17 states do not ban underage consumption, and the remaining 18 states have family member and/or location exceptions to their underage consumption laws. Federal law explicitly provides for religious, medical, employment and private club possession exceptions; as of 2005, 31 states have family member and/or location exceptions to their underage possession laws. However, non-alcoholic beer in many (but not all) states, such as Idaho, Texas, and Maryland, is considered legal for those under the age of 21.[SUP][21][/SUP]
    By a judge's ruling, South Carolina appears to allow the possession and consumption of alcohol by adults 18 to 20 years of age, but a circuit court judge said otherwise.[SUP][22][/SUP]
    The State of Wisconsin allows the consumption of alcohol in the presence of parents. Some U.S. States have legislation that make providing to and possession of alcohol by persons under 21 a gross misdemeanor with a potential of $5,000 and a year in jail (or more).[SUP][23][/SUP]
  10. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Local law as well, See TX

or any State for differences in ages on sex between minors for example.
    :D
    See the 3 kids 6 grandkids and no shotgun effect in my life.

Again
    Not legal advice
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  11. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Yes, we had pretty much the same topic a few years ago, also by somebody with his first post or so who never returned IIRC. I ask myself which kind of conspiracy may be behind it :scratchchin:.

Regarding the issue, it's like this in Germany (I'm probably repeating myself here as well):

At home, the parents decide, assuming that serving alcohol isn't of a kind which could be considered as dangerous for the child. A bit wine for a 12 year old for chinking glasses wouldn't be a problem. Otherwise it's OK to buy and drink beer and wine at the age of 16. For booze, it's 18. Drinking in public is allowed. You can even drink while driving, but the police will certainly check your blood alcohol level then.
  12. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

Well, generally, within your own home you can do whatever you want, since nobody can come to check up on you.

But drinking in public is illegal as well, as far as I know you can only drink in bars and on their terraces, and only within the legal limit (usually the same limit as for driving a car)
    But in reality, nobody cares, as long as you don't openly disturb anyone in public...

As far as the beer case thingy goes, if you're allowed to work and drive a car and have children,
    then why shouldn't you be allowed to drink? (I know it's illegal in US under 21, just my 2 cents)
  13. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

Imo, it may as well be legal since his older friends can just buy him all the beer he wants. And let's not forget moonshiners, home brewing kits...and pruno (don't look it up). The only way to stop underaged drinking is to 1) have a cop follow every teenager around all day or 2) annihilate all of humanity.
  14. korialstraz

So I'm not going crazy! Good. ^_^
  15. krischan

Let's say it this way: In case you are crazy, you aren't all alone with your kind of insanity.
  16. korialstraz

I heard living in denial helps. :jig:
  17. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

How about going back in time and follow the timeline (from the first on) every person who creates alcohol, so it never exists?
  18. krischan

A case of beer helps as well. I have to insist on glass bottles with crown caps, however.
  19. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

De Nile is a river in Egypt
    Think Crocodiles
    :D
  20. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

You'd have to go pretty far back. Alcohol was the first drug ever used. It was discovered when cavemen ate rotting fruit which forms some alcohol. I've been waiting so long to post that trivia.

But even if you could tinker with time, the many forms of alcohol would continually crop up in labs and in nature, making the task too challenging. It's too important (and simple) a molecule to erase from our history. Any organic compound with an OH group is an alcohol.