Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Is this all there is about Demon Hunters?

Discussion in 'Demon Hunter' started by KremBanan, Apr 1, 2013. | Replies: 9 | Views: 6935

1. KremBanan

KremBanan IncGamers Site Pal

Im fairly new to Demon Hunters, so I have read some guides and discussions on different forums.. and this is what I have read so far. 99 percent of tips and advice is this:

-Manticore and Dead Mans Legacy
    -3 or 4 pieces of Natalya's set
    -Vile Ward and Witching Hour(or Inna's)
    -Fill in the rest with the best rares you can find

Two of Elemental Arrow, Hungering or Multishot for your main skills.

Is this really all that is Demon Hunters? Its like if you use anything else, you are either poor as hell or a freak who wants to be different..?!

(no flaming intended :) )
  2. sneakytails

sneakytails IncGamers Member

The answer to your question is both yes and no.

What you are seeing is a very popular gear set and overall skill selection that is very effective in the game, In Diablo 2 LOD terms what we are looking at here is a lightning Amazon with titans revenge javelins and all the other popular gear that goes with that specific build. This happens in D2 and D3 and other games that have "builds", there will always be popular builds and specific pieces of equipment that become the "thing" to have.

The Demon Hunter is a great class and has lots of interesting skills to use, she does a great job of dealing different damage types quickly, this really increases her playability and is the classes greatest strength. There are other builds out there you just have to dig or try new things in the game.

Part of what you described is the player base that wants the path of least resistance to a powerful character and part of it is the items and affixes we have available to us. Our item pool is very small right now, once this increases and more interesting items become available you should see more build types. Now throw in the affixes and a bigger pool to draw from on those and you have something. But the game is very young in blizzard years, it will take time for things to change and more choices to become available gear wise.
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  3. Ghoulz

Ghoulz IncGamers Member

I been doing really fine using windforce with just cinder arrow and 3 spitfire turrets plus suppression fire rune to keep on using vault/shadow power. Add in 500-1000 life on hit and your health skyrockets back up without having to spam shadow power constantly.

Well I die a lot less often than all those dudes packing manticores. Always seeing them drop like flies. And Lawlz when they drop to reflect damage, shameful.

And Deadman's Legacy is the only end-game quiver so your a little short on options there.
  4. kamap

kamap IncGamers Member

Don't take vile ward, roll a decent shoulder of dex with the new recipe's. (or vit of you want a whole freaking lot of vit)
    2 set inna's and 3-4 set nat's is indeed "standard", dead man's and manticore is also "standard" but there are some other builds that use 2 one handed x bows and such..
  5. smilts

smilts IncGamers Member

A strafe build or multishot build with Manticore/DML is fun. A Impale, Elemental arrow, or Rapid fire build with Calamity/DMl/2x HCB is fun also. Would also craft shoulders,gloves,ammy, and bracers. I prefer to have a Witching hour for a belt as well, which would limit me to a nats helm or using 2 hand crossbows to get the 3 piece nats bonus so I stick with 2 piece Nats and Inna's. Theres a lot of things that can be done, But as was mentioned most people go with what everyone else is doing instead of trying new things.
  6. KremBanan

What other bows than Manticore, Calamity and Wf is viable?
  7. Darksnipe

Darksnipe IncGamers Member

Depends on how you define viable. For lower MPs you can roll with a rare bow with good mods no problem, it might actually be better than WF. But for higher MPs you'll want to use either Manticore or Calamity without question.

I have only seen one rare crossbow that rivaled Manticore and that was before the marquise gems were introduced.
  8. KremBanan

Viable I mean solo play in Inferno MP0-2.

If one wants to roll with rares and crafted, what attributes should one look for in the different items?
  9. Belzhorash

Belzhorash IncGamers Member

Dexterity, CritChance, Critdmg, IAS.
    Don't fotget to stack your Vita and @res, too.

Use your Breastarmor, shoulders and pants for Vita and @res. Get yourself some crafted hands with CHC, CHD and IAS.
    Add in bracers with Vita and @res, perhaps with some IAS.
    Pants and boots should give you movement speed.
    Pump in the best emeralds you can find.

Oh and good luck finding rings with above mentioned stats as they are really rare and cost insane amounts of gold in the auctionhouse.

Your weapon should have high damage, socket(s) for either ruby or emerald and CHD, too.
    The quiver, saying you want to play selffound or can't afford a DML, should give you dex, vita and every other stat that fits your playing style.

I prefer at least one piece of gear with pickup radius to fill up hatred with revenge.

Okay... Enough brainstorming for today :)

If you are on EU Softcore, I have some pretty Manticores to start with in my chest for free (not high end but eith 2sox and about 1k dmg).

Just leave me a note...
  10. Madmaxio

Madmaxio IncGamers Member

If you find a reason to have less dps (compared to people who use manticore) you can try to use other weapon.