Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Is it me or do people not bother to read the rules ?? ifra

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Gorny, Oct 11, 2005. | Replies: 48 | Views: 2314

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Is it me or do people not bother to read the rules ??

I don't mean everyone in the forum, but it seems like a large part of people in this forum do not read the rules of the forum before posting.

I am not trying to be mean or unfair towards anyone, and so is Dredd. But the fact is, this (and these) forums have a set of rules which we (the mods and admins) ask you to read, know and abide by.

Actually, it's not that we ask you to read the rules, we expect you to read them, and we treat everyone (this includes new people with one post, people with a hundred or so posts, people with almost 20k posts, and pals alike, including longtime members) as if they have read those rules.

We do not make exceptions. Though we will be fair and will hear people out via PM, Email, or ICQ, in some cases.

We do and will ban with no warning.

This forum, the Community Forum has a set of rules in addition to the standard Forum Rules, which we expect to be followed. We also expect those rules to be followed, no matter if you have just joined and have 0 ... I repeat "zero" posts, or have been here forever and ara a Pal or have almost 20K posts.

The rules are the same for everyone, please follow them.

I know I am growing tired of the same old thing : Trade threads, trade value threads, I need help with xxx quest or xxx boss type threads. I imagine Dredd is growing tired of this as well.

Anyone that has not read the rules, do so now..
  2. A C E

A C E Banned

I cannot even imagine the pain you go through, browsing these forums day after days and seeing all the flames, rants, and bad posts... :eek:

ADDED: Maybe we could start a thread with suggestions on how to get people to read the rules...

I personally think a banning crusade would strike fear into the hearts of the offenders :king:

P.S. Thanks for the thread, I forgot some of the rules and this refreshed my memory... I feel like a brand new newb :D
  3. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

Well, the only thing they'll notice are 10 threads with the same name.

Something in the line of: "OMFG read this!", times ten :rolleyes:

Seriously, it's something to think about, I'm not a mod and it makes me angry to see the first page filled with a few idiotic threads.

What to do, what to do? This may sound like a stupid idea, but how about making everyone answer a question about something in the rules when they first sign up? And giving explicit warnings everytime you enter the site? May sound exaggerating but hey, what is the alternative?
  4. indys finest

indys finest Banned

Aragorn, your post seems kinda ambiguos. What are you refering to?
    You made mention of banning without notice then you mention repetaive topics being an issue. Surely you dont ban for stale content?

Not trying to be a smart guy but just hoping you'd clearify what you mean if your going to make a threatening thread.

Is there a 'banned' list? If not maybe it would help to discourage undesirable posts. Like X was banned for X reason.
  5. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Ok, you are pretty new here, So I will clarify a bit.

I don't mean to sound like a threat either, and I am sorry if this thread seems like that.

I don't think the post is ambigous, but I'll pont out a few things.

The banning without notice thing has always been in effect here, it's listd at the top of the forums. That means that any mod can ban someone, for cause, when justified, with no warning. We usually do this in the case of something really serious, or to a returned bannee. Most of us do warn, and will usually give a warning, or two or three and even a temp ban of some sort before giving a perma ban.

In particular to this forum, this thread has to do with the specific rules of this forum ( the community forum) not being followed.

Examples :

Trade threads : they dont belong here, because we have trade forums. Some people still post trade threads here, and then get angry or feel like we mods abuse our power when we lock a trade thread or delete it. This does not happen as much as other things, but it is a concern.

Trade value question/price check threads : We have a trade value forum. We ask it to be used. So if a thread is posted here asking how much something is worth, we (me and dredd, or another mod in our stead, will colse or delete that thread with no arning.

Help threads (Help with Uber Quest, Help killing Baal, My game crashed and I need help recovering items type threads) : We have a player matchup forum, and until recently, a stickied thread for help.

We ask and have always asked for requests such as those, to go in the stickied thread, or the player matchup forum. Alot of people still post this type of hread right in the forum. (Now I know a large part of you do indeed post it where it should go)

Side note: The current help thread has been unstickied, as it was not meant to be stickied. Threr will be a new one. Dredd and Myself are working on reworking the rules and stickied threads.

I really do not have a problem with stale content as it might be, but I do take issue with repetitive threads on the same subject, especially when there are atleast 3 on the first page, and several more on the preceeding pages of this forum.
  6. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Since you can't trust people to read the rules, maybe a sticky titled "This isn't the place for such and such threads".
  7. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

i always thought the rules sticky should be labelled "boobies" you can be sure that most of the people would visit it at least once
  8. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Too bad most won't read that. :rant:

I really don't think it's about not trusting people to read the rules.

It's more like some do not read the rules, and start posting threads.

And then the the people who never read, or have yet to read, or never bothered, or never will bother to read the rules, get offended when we warn, edit, delete, lock or even ban when necessary.

We also do not allow any member of the forums to be abused in any way ( this includes, flaming, trolling, rudeness, swearing etc.) Yet some people do this. We won't tolerate it.

anyways to answer more :

Yes there is a banned list.

But it is not made public for good reason, and having such a list in the open would generate more problems than it would solve.

We try to keep the forums running smoothly, and alot of people do indeed help us in that task by reporting threads, sending us PM's, and also by pointing some of the do's and don'ts out on the forums.

We all thank you for that.

But at the same time, when we have multiple threads that should not be here, it makes us do more work than usual, in having to move/lock/delete several threads for one reason or another.
  9. Armor_Biff

Armor_Biff IncGamers Member

I was thinking about something like that too. :thumbsup:
  10. DjSlayer

DjSlayer IncGamers Member

Read all the rules in the other forums too, there might be addons to the standard rules.

As an example: In a guide there is not forbidden to mention 3/20/20's, but that does not say that they are allowed to traded for in the trade forums or the market place. I know that even joking with offering a 3/20/20 in European trade forum will earn you a ban (this is on Non ladder).

- D.J.
  11. cynicalcat1

cynicalcat1 IncGamers Member

just for the record,i think aragorn and dredd do a heck of a job. :clap:
    i myself find a lot of what i need through the search menu.maybe that should be made in bigger type with an arrow pointing to it? :thumbsup:
  12. A C E

A C E Banned

Put THIS in the sticky. :D It's my favorite forum rule video.

(Credit for this is given to the Steam forums)
  13. Xora

Xora Europe Trade Moderator

If your refering to something that happened last week to ediot, he already had a warning the day before for offering something on the DNT list, so i dont think it was such a clever thing to joke about. Aside from that he asked to be banned as he forced himself to quit...

I agree with you Aragorn, it's almost impossible to get people to read the rules until they do something wrong. Only then does there seem to be some chance that they might when their thread is closed :(
  14. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

The only forum that doesn't need moderation is the Statistics forum for some strange reason. :uhhuh:
  15. DjSlayer

DjSlayer IncGamers Member

There has been several incidents before that where people make jokes about offering 3/20/20's and got themself a ban, so it's not an isolated incident, but yes it's the primary reason I wrote it (and I do know that you got a report post from me regarding that ring (and probably not the only one)). I know he wanted that ban so he could quit the game, but if he want to start world of warcraft he wouldn't be able to use the rpg.net WoW forums since a ban on Dii.net is also a ban on worldofwar.net. Yes the ban is justified.

- D.J.
  16. Xora

Xora Europe Trade Moderator

I'm not sure, and Aragorn would be better placed to answer this (being a mod in both), but i was under the impression since the forum split a ban in one did not automatically mean a ban in the other :scratch:

Sorry for hijacking your rules thread

goes back to the ETF to lurk
  17. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

What angers me more are the arrogant flames from certain wannabe mods. I despise that and I will continue to report them, no matter what their post count is. If somebody writes an offensive posting, why can't people just report it and resist to lecture others. That's the job of the mods. Perhaps that's something which should be taken more care of.
  18. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Actually a ban here or there does not result in an automatic ban on the other forum, it has to be manually done on both forums.

Which is why we mods have access to all mod forums on all sites, so we can warn the mods of other forums. In my case and I would think in Freet's case too, since we are mods on both forums, it might make sense to ban someone on both forums, if the reason is serious enough.

As to what Krischan said, I agree.

Though I have no problem with people pointiong out the rules, abusing someone even if they are wrong is also against the rules, and can result in an encounter with a modstick.
  19. Ididmephistosmom

Ididmephistosmom IncGamers Member

maybe we can put the rules in EVERYONES sig or in the bottom of every thread made. That should make ppl read the rules frequently :D
  20. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Good luck with that one!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.