Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Is AH mandatory?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Sky Lynx, Apr 28, 2013. | Replies: 14 | Views: 3957

1. Sky Lynx

Sky Lynx IncGamers Member

Hello everyone,

Old-school D2 player here. I've missed the original release due to some reasons and now I'm thinking of buying the game. I absolutely don't care about the graphics, it's all about the gameplay.

The main thing that bothers me is Auction House. Is AH mandatory for progress? I've read a lot of opinions that without AH the progress is impossible and that the very drop system is balanced around players ability to buy things. This is the main turn off for me, because the most favorite thing in D2 for me was gearing myself on the way. AH makes wonders in WoW but I'm afraid of what it could do to Diablo gameplay.

In general how far is it from D2 in terms of gameplay? Tried Torchlight 2, but it lacks depth for me. The gameplay is very D2-ish, but the rest just lacks substance. I feel like wasting time playing it, because I don't care about the world and the lore. With all due respect to D2 creators that were behind it.
  2. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

Well, I said this in the other thread, but yes, it's very viable.

There's also a D3 single player forum here, so if you decide to play you may want to ask some questions there.
  3. fmulder

fmulder Site Contributor

AH is certainly NOT mandatory if you are willing to spend a bit of time farming / leveling your chars. I have beaten Inferno with one of each class (SC on mp 0) using only self found items.
  4. Malaterre

Malaterre IncGamers Member

Same as fmulder, finishing the game in Inferno MP0 is totally feasible, even without farming too much.

For higher MP values, it seems difficult to get rid of the AH.
  5. Elly

Elly Administrator

Has anyone gone right to the top without using the AH? I am planning to do it but I am assuming it can be done and perhaps it's just not possible, not without an inordinate amount of farming.
  6. Steven Hazani

Steven Hazani IncGamers Member

I am poorer than most players. Perhaps 25% of my gear is self found, that's counting crafts. Perhaps if you're willing to devote literally over 9,000 hours you can find everything yourself, but even basic points such as "a Str Skorn with Lifesteal" will elude you forever I'd suspect.
  7. Malaterre

Malaterre IncGamers Member

I do not know someone who has done it. All my friends that are playing in higher MP levels used the AH.
  8. InteNuIgen

InteNuIgen IncGamers Site Pal

9. DavidTheSlayer

DavidTheSlayer Clan Officer - Europe

I don't think AH is needed, but it sure does help. Would be interesting iron-born once items are in.
  10. FaultyYogurt

FaultyYogurt IncGamers Member

While you absolutely can play without using the AH, you can't play in public games. You can't keep up.
  11. el shendee

el shendee IncGamers Member

It depends on what objective you've set for yourself.
  12. Sky Lynx

Answering myself now after I've played for a month and got to 200 DPS using AH.

Yes, AH is mandatory. Self-found in DIII feels like "only pickup whites" kind of restriction in Diablo 2. You will be far from decent, to the worse. Too bad, using AH killed the game for me. And there is no incentive to play self-found because it feels pointless. So here it is, putting it away until they fix things.
  13. InteNuIgen

InteNuIgen IncGamers Site Pal

Switch to Hardcore MP10 self-found and you got yourself a challenge :)
  14. Sky Lynx

No, I still can have a challenge on my barb, but I just don't like the feel where the game went with this. It all became about farming gold and getting to ridiculously scaled MP settings where dropped loot just isn't relevant anymore.

It's not about challenge so to speak, it's about a feel of fortune, and the satisfaction that this fortune gives. When you find items yourself, you spin this wheel of luck all the time and sometimes it smiles at you and you find a huge upgrade, and you feel decent and great. In Diablo III, though, it doesn't feel like that when self-found. Stuff you find always makes you feel like an underdog at best. That's what's frustrating. Add a terrible item-only led character progression and this becomes really bad.

I think.. I'll still give it a shot one more self-found time. I just haven't decided where to play, on my SC realm where I have all leveled up stash and crafters and millions of gold. Or on EU realm as fresh start. Or HC for that matter. The latter one actually is not my cup of tea, because I'm a terribly careless person.
  15. TheThirdMan

TheThirdMan IncGamers Member

Honestly, try HC self found. You'll find that most players are more realistically geared, meaning that you won't feel like you're lagging behind as badly. If you do end up using the AH, you'll notice almost right away that it is quite different than the SC AH. No RMAH, good items getting cycled out due to deaths, etc. It's just an entirely different economy. I know you're not thrilled with the AH, but the HC AH feels a lot more like what the devs must have been expecting the AH to be before release. It's not perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than the SC AH.

While I'm not thrilled about permanently losing chars, HC is just so much better in so many ways. The different atmosphere changes everything. Just give it a try. You're getting close to quitting the game, what could it hurt?