Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ironman Tournament - Rules/Sign-up

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by LordMay, Jul 9, 2006. | Replies: 54 | Views: 9964

1. LordMay

LordMay IncGamers Member

Ironman Tournament - Rules/Sign-up

In Diablo, a core of dedicated gamers seeking extra challenge played a variation called "Ironman". A team of typically 3 players, one of each class, would enter the dungeon and never return to town (or at least use its services) until they or Diablo were dead. Restart in town was not allowed, only resurrection. One game, done with each level in order, start to finish. Despite thousands of such game attempts, scant few, known as Ironman Champions, have succeeded...
    -RealmsBeyond.net/Diablo

I don't know if you all remember the good ol' days but going through hell and making it to Diablo with a legit character was tough. Really tough. Those monsters didn't play games and death was around every corner. Diablo 2 doesn't have the same atmosphere and requires a different kind of skill. This tournament is my way of bringing my favorite variant back from the dead and upping the ante for what is required to Defeat the Lord of Terror.

Now I introduce to you...

The Ironman Tournament

The goal of the Ironman is to defeat the Three Prime Evils. The tournament will end when all Ironmen are dead or no progress has been made in a months time. Sound easy? Done it before? Here is a list of rules that will prove what you are really made of.

Rules

1. HC only.

2. Version 1.11 allowed. You may play if you use RWM/RRM, but you may not use any runewords that are unavailable in unmodified SP play.

3. No Multi-Player permitted. This will be a solo Ironman.

4. Any players setting is allowed at any time you choose.

5. No "Save and Exit" to avoid death.

6. The only time you are allowed to interect with an NPC is when they have an "!" above their. All you are allowed to do is recieve the quest reward. No Buying*/Selling/Repairing/Gambling/Identifying of any sort. The Ironman shall use what the minions of evil drop on his quest to slay the Prime Evils.

7. You are allowed to use the socket/personalize/imbue items but this must be done so before you leave the act.

8. The re-running of areas is not allowed. If you have to go through an area again you may not kill any monster, open chests, or use shrines.

9. The rouge merc is the only allowed mercenary. You must defeat Blood Raven before talking to Kayasha. No waiting until level 8 to get a free one. The rouge has one life just like you. No resurrection.

10. An act may not be revisited.

11.All quests must be done and waypoints found however full clears are not required but highly encouraged.

12. NO USE OF ATMA IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM. PERIOD. All the space you get is your stash, inventory, and the ground should you choose to utilize it for the game session.

*Seeing as how ATMA is not allowed you may buy a tome of identify and tp.

Characters

1. All characters are allowed but there will be restrictions to skills that would make this tournament too easy.

Skill Restrictions.

A restricted skill can only have 1 hard point but may still be used. A banned skill can have 1 hard point but may never be used. Restricted skills cannot be used via charges, plus skills, or CtC.

Amazon Skills: Banned - decoy, valk, magic arrow, guided arrow. Restricted - Lightning fury

Assassin Skills: Banned - Trap skill tree except blade shield, shadow warrior, shadow master, and mind blast.

Barbarian: Restricted - Warcry

Druid: Banned - Elemental skill tree except cyclone armor, Summoning Tree.

Necromancer: Banned - Summoning tree, Poison explosion, poison nova, teeth, bone spirit, bone spear.

Paladin: Banned - prayer, redemption. Restricted - blessed hammer, FoH.

Sorceress: Not banned skills - Masteries, Cold Armors, Enchant, Warmth, Telekenesis, Energy shield,

I hope that is everything. My goal was to try and force all the classes to melee for the most part. The mage in D1 usually relied on charges and needed extreme luck in finding books. With skills and summons it would be too easy for a character to use them and have no need of good gear. Magic in this game is incredibly powerful and would make the tournament much easier if you could just run around and cast.

+1 point for every wp
    +1 point for every quest
    +1 point for every 50k gold
    -20 points for using the rouge merc

Special bonuses ( These are for run and point variety, these are optional and could very well not happen to you)
    +10 points for the Ironman with the most gold at the end of the tourney so grab every piece.
    +3 points for every Godly plate of the Whale found
    +3 points for every King's "sword" of Quickness found (IIRC they took out the "haste" suffix)
    +5 For the best picture, with a caption (using the "!" command) while in Tristram whether it be fighting Gris, saving Cain, hovering over wirt etc. Three entries per difficulty.

I'd be interested in any more diabloesque ideas that points could be given for.

Prize
    You shall recieve a trophy. I have not yet decided which item it will be yet but its name will be something like Ironman_Champion's *Insert item here*

The start date is July 22, 2006. Earlier if there is a lot of interest. I've already started a character under this ruleset so I won't be participating.

So is anyone else up for the challenge? If so sign-up in this format please:
    Forum Name:
    Character Name:
    Character Class:
    Character Build:

Feel free to ask any questions you may have as Im sure I missed some things.
  2. IRoK

IRoK IncGamers Member

Forum Name: IRoK
    Character Name: Sir_Isaac
    Character Class: Paladin
    Character Build: Frost Zealot

Let's see how I do
  3. pretendballoon

pretendballoon Banned

Forum Name: PretendBalloon
    Character Name: Barak
    Character Class: Barbarian
    Character Build: Concentration

Should be fun
  4. IRoK

IRoK IncGamers Member

BTW The Necormancer seems way underpowered...
  5. LordMay

LordMay IncGamers Member

When I said identifying in rule #6 I meant no using cain.
  6. Harrid

Harrid IncGamers Member

Hmmm...this looks like an interesting way to both try out a tourney and try out HC play.

Forum Name: Harrid
    Character Name: Red_Vex
    Character Class: Amazon
    Character Build: Javazon
  7. Chain of Strength

Chain of Strength Banned

you took every single skill away except curses for the necro. every tourny is the same...
  8. LordMay

LordMay IncGamers Member

The reason why the necromancer has the summoning tree banned is because I didn't want any character to be able to have a summonable minion. I can't help that the necromancer has two trees composed of magic spells and summons.
  9. IRoK

IRoK IncGamers Member

Then why not restrict the Poison and Bone skills?
  10. LordMay

LordMay IncGamers Member

Because restricted skills only get 1 point under the ruleset. Are you going to create a nec and spam level 1 bone spirits?
  11. JoeBruce

JoeBruce IncGamers Member

Forum Name: JoeBruce
    Character Name: Demon_Crusher
    Character Type: Barbarian
    Character Build: ?
  12. nepeta

nepeta IncGamers Member

Buying tomes?! Weaklings! Muhahahahaha slips out doing some more lame MF runs
  13. IRoK

IRoK IncGamers Member

Some people might...
  14. Billybgame

Billybgame IncGamers Member

Well, if you're banning skills, I'd wonder who on earth would play a Sorceress, Necro, etc. Ironman's are challenging enough, without all the other restrictions.

Having said that, I'll probably sign on, as soon as I figure out what build I'd want to use.
  15. IRoK

IRoK IncGamers Member

I think Barbs will over power in this tourny...Maybe restrict/ban frenzy?
  16. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

Sorry to butt in lordmay.

1. It's a nice tournament.
    2. If you don't agree with the rules, don't enter.

He shouldn't have to explain why he did set the rules the way he did, it's a good tournament, just have fun. Ofcourse you can make suggestions or wonder about the rules.. but don't complain or say ''you should do this or that''.
    Sorry again LM, have a nice tournament :)
  17. FoghornLeghorn

FoghornLeghorn IncGamers Member

Forum Name: FoghornLeghorn
    Character Name: ChuckAlloy
    Character Class: Barbarian
    Character Build: Throwin' Sharp Stuff
  18. Harrid

Harrid IncGamers Member

Hey, I've got a little question about this rule:
    If someone like Akara has the "!", can we save it until a full healing would be useful or should it be used immediately? Also, same question, but applying to when you want to buy tomes. And, in the event of a "yes", is it acceptable to buy the tomes separately in order to get 2 healings instead of having to get them at the same time (assuming one has enough cash to do so)?
  19. AlterEgo

AlterEgo IncGamers Member

I'm with Sint - nice design. All characters are forced to melee - true ironman spirit! Sure the barbs will be heavily favored to win this, but they were heavily favored to win an ironman contest in D1 too!
    That's simply taunting me to play a necro... :badteeth:

Forum Name: AlterEgo
    Character Name: PhearMe
    Character Class: Necromancer
    Character Build: Poison Dagger/Corpse Explosion (only attack skills left :azn: )

edit: I just re-read the roolz, and may need to back out. I only play 1.10 - let me know if I can still participate.
  20. ElMiko

ElMiko IncGamers Member

Forum Name: ElMiko
    Character Name: OldYeller
    Character Class: Druid
    Character Build: Rabies... and something else?