Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

iPod (and less hip mp3 player) Users:

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by iq144, Dec 8, 2004. | Replies: 10 | Views: 360

1. iq144

iq144 IncGamers Member

iPod (and less hip mp3 player) Users:

Have you guys tried getting your songs to play on your car radio at all?

There's that nifty little device that plays through the radio, but I'm curious as to whether that would work with my old skool 15 GB model. And of course I'm always looking for a cheaper alternative. I have no CD player in my car, just a tape deck, but I also wonder if one of those CD player tapes would work too. And then there's mention of cables and audio in/out...

On the whole, I'd appreciate some experience talking.

2. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Absolutely. I have a 2nd gen 5 GB iPod and a new 40 GB iPod, and both play on my car stereo via one of those little faux tapes with a miniplug to plug into the headphone jack on my iPod.

My one comment on them would be that after a while they seem to wear out, and get very moody in terms of when they play and when the car stereo endless flips sides over and over again looking for tracks to play. If you can, I'd suggest the iTrip or a similar device that broadcasts on a radio station, because I'm fed up with replacing the tape deck thingies every 6 months.

3. masterazn

masterazn Banned

I have one of those tapes where its attached to a wire with a jack connector. Plug into MP3, shove tape into tape deck, and you're off for some beats.

4. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

Ive never had a tape deck that didnt jam when i put a tape thing in there.

Everyone else has good luck with em, cept me.

5. iq144

iq144 IncGamers Member

Where should I buy one of these tape deck thingies?

Currently expendable $$$ is very low. Office max, wal mart?

6. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Wal Mart should have em, as should most drug stores. Perhaps Radio Shack as well. If you want to go all-out for your iPod, Apple sells a car kit that includes a charger that plugs into your cigarette lighter.

7. ~Kazama Fury~

~Kazama Fury~ IncGamers Member

yup, i am currently using the samething. it was for my cdplayer until i had acquired my mp3 player. it works like a charm!

if you dont have a cassette player in the car, then i dont know what you should do then. =/

get cds!

8. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

They are for slot loading decks only. . .

Yeah the iTrip is great if you aren't in a big city with lots of radio stations. The Monster Cable Kit that Apple sells works really well and my friend who has it hasn't worn it out in 2.5 years.

The other solution is the thingies that plug into your cig lighter and charge your iPod while playing it through the stereo. Not to mention hold it in place in those hard stops.

9. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

I got a cassette adapter for $20 at Radio Shack. Works perfectly. I've heard that iTrip and the other radio frequency adapters tend to fight with the real radio stations, so I'd avoid those if you've got the tape deck.

Sooner or later they're gonna start making car stereos with built in iPod plugs...

10. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Like this?

11. LunarSolaris

LunarSolaris IncGamers Member

I agree with Ev_ ... the frequency adapters work decently, but when they aren't competing with other existing radio stations. One of the problems that I run into when I'm in Seattle is that there are so MANY radio stations, that it's hard to find a dead-air space to tune my iPOD to. If you happen to be in the Seattle area, try frequency 101.9 - has worked well for me.

I only have a CD in my car, so I need to use the frequency adapter. The tape-deck solution is the best one though - even if you do have to replace it every once in a while.