Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Interviews with Jay Wilson

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Community Forum' started by CaptinSupreem, Dec 4, 2012. | Replies: 16 | Views: 1138

1. CaptinSupreem

CaptinSupreem IncGamers Member

Today we talk with Jay Wilson about the design philosophy behind Diablo 3, and fan’s reactions to the game.

Jay, what was your design philosophy behind Diablo 3?
    Jay: All of the design decision really came from looking at Diablo 2 and what players did there and what players wanted to do.
    I think one of the things we really tried hard not to do at Blizzard is make a lot of assumptions about what players wanted in a sequel to Diablo 2. We’d say: ‘Don’t go against what our players are trying to do. Let’s see if we can find a way to enable what they want.’
    If something wasn’t fun, we didn’t want it in the game. A great example is the way crafting worked in Diablo 2. All of the recipes for the Horadric Cube like upgrading items and adding sockets – it just wasn’t fun, so we cut all of that out of Diablo 3.

You mentioned that you looked to Diablo 2 for inspiration. Exactly what impact did Diablo 2 have on your design philosophy for Diablo 3?
    The Diablo games are about super powerful characters hacking and slashing their way through mobs of enemies to get loot, which is completely different to, say, an MMO like World of Warcraft. We wanted to continue in Diablo 2’s footsteps by creating a fresh hack and slash title, so we employed the most talented people from World of Warcraft to share their experience in making hack and slash titles to work on Diablo 3.

One of the requirements for Diablo 3 was “funâ€. How did you determine what the player thought was fun?
    We realised that for a lot of players, the goal was to create really powerful characters to be efficient at finding loot. In Diablo 2 the player had to carefully choose their skills and attributes to make the most efficient character possible, which required knowledge and patience.
    This was time consuming and just not fun, so we removed the ability to assign attributes, got rid of skill trees and added the skill respecs. It’s great because attributes and skills are now assigned to a character at each level of progression.
    Basically the goal that most players were aiming for is now handed directly to the player so they don’t have to waste time building a unique character or finding the perfect balance between power and efficiency.

A lot of players feel that the game is very “grindy†in that they experience the same content over and over again. What are your thoughts on this?
    We capped character progression at level 60 so players would not feel like they had to grind out levels to become more powerful. Paragon levels were added to make up for the low level cap. At each Paragon level, your character becomes more powerful.
    At Paragon level 100, players don’t have to bother with things like magic find – which we wanted to remove from the game completely because of its impact on finding legendary items from breakables in the game. Instead, we removed magic find from breakables.

And finally Jay, what would you like to say to those that think Diablo 3 could have been better if you had just built upon Diablo 2’s success?
    F*ck those losers.

Join us next week when we interview Jay about Diablo 3’s item system.
  2. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

I was actually falling for this joke most of the way through! Looks like an interesting series. I look forward to "Jay's" reaction to the inevitable PvP disaster.

Imo, we can't really blame one man, though. It probably went more like this: Jay is ushered into a room. A picture of his daughter is held up to his face. "You want this girl to attend a good university, don't you?" Jay nods, reluctantly. A file is placed before him. "Here are our research figures. You'll find protocols in there." The rest is history.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  3. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

Very nice, 9/10. Had me until breakables. Would read again.
  4. CaptinSupreem

Some of the responses are actual quotes from Jay from various interviews floating around, that's why it looks so convincing :D
  5. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Yes, it was rather sophisticated. I think the combination of "Horadric Cube wasn’t fun" and the f word at the end made me suspicious. Then the other things summed up, of course.
  6. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

Last two blew it for me, Diablo as a series is the epitome of grindy. People who think otherwise haven't played the first games self-found or without hacks, botting or the stupidly broken economy.
  7. windstriker

windstriker IncGamers Member

Got it from Horadric cube and that they asked the most talented ppl from WoW for help. He wouldn't ever dare to say they got help from ppl working on WoW :p
  8. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

Dunno, there are great composers, coders, designers and whatnot who work on WoW. It wouldn't be a multi-million(maybe billion?) dollar game if it wasn't good, now would it?

I know that many people dislike WoW, but hey, that's a matter of taste and if you don't like that people who have worked on WoW work on D3, sure, fine. They still do have WAY more experience in game developing than the average fellow.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  9. CaptinSupreem

The WoW comment was a dig at how they employed a whole bunch of people that had no experience in creating hack'n'slash titles, even after identifying that mmo's are completely different games. That, and the fact that as soon as anyone with any experience tells them anything (Dave Brevik) their response is "F those loosers".

It's just a bit of fun and a dig at the company, not to be taken too seriously. I have another one written and I will post it next week some time.
  10. diablotwoplayerforlife

diablotwoplayerforlife Banned

Yup. Diablo 3 is a good example on why you do not hire a bunch of immature MMO developers to create a sequel to a beloved ARPG.
  11. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

Just saying that a) people who worked on Diablo 3 have good experience in game developing, have made awesome games in the past, most of them didn't start out as MMO developers and b) whatever their background, many of the people that worked on Blizz North, half of them have haven't made anything good since blizz north was shut down (David Brevik I'm looking at ya) and some of them ACTUALLY WORK ON MMO's now (Like Bill Roper).

Calling the D3 Dev-crew "immature MMO developers" is the most immature and ignorant statement one can submit. :wine:

Nobody can really say what would have happened if Blizz North wasn't shut down, maybe Diablo 3 would have been the best game ever, maybe it would have been the next Daikatana, maybe the next Duke Nukem Forever? Those who say otherwise need to start a career as mediums.
  12. diablotwoplayerforlife

You don't think that insulting other people over the internet, like when Jay Wilson said ".... that loser" to Dave, is immature behaviour? It is highly immature. Not only that, the whole crew acted immaturily on their Facebook page that day.

Of course we can. We would have had the most awesome version of D3 you could ever imagine, developed by people with experience and knowledge in the ARPG genre. Chances are that we would have had D4 by now as well.
  13. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

I do think it was bad and ignorant behaviour. That or it was a weird attempt at a joke targeted towards David Brevik's past achievements for the past 10 years.

When I replied to the immaturity statement, I considered it from the game developing perspective.

Who knows? Maybe we would, maybe we would not. What matters is that Blizz north has been defunct from 2005, though it kept dying because core people from there left from 2001 onwards. Maybe the whole blizz north was shut down because it did not have any success at designing new games? We will never know. Now, tell me, what are the next lottery numbers?
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  14. diablotwoplayerforlife

So first you claim that the D3 team isn't ignorant. Then you admit their behaviour was ignorant. Could you please make up your confused mind before you post?

Most educated people who've done their research knows. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nmE5t1EvM8
  15. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

Everyone to most people are prone to outbursts of bad and ignorant behavior. Also, read the post again, I made edits few minutes after I posted.

That video is based on leaked screenshots from 5-8 years ago (and I have doubts on if they are real, though I can be wrong here) and on the belief that it is warcrafty, inferior to the predecessors and hey, the creators of D1 & D2 left after those games so it is also absurd to talk about them being there.

Please, compare Diablo 2, Warcraft 3 (or WoW, though Warcraft 2/3 are what I consider warcrafty) and Diablo 3 and say which looks more warcrafty to you.
  16. mr punk

mr punk IncGamers Member

sure, Hidetaka Miyazaki was designing mecha games before demon/dark souls. Jay and his team was just vastly overrated by most players. they assumed they were getting a genius like Hidetaka Miyazaki to design D3, but in reality ended up with Tameem Antoniades (ie: the typical and very average modern game designer). lulz.
  17. Ivan E

Ivan E IncGamers Member

To be fair, Jay did a good/great job on Company of Heroes. Not a genius job (there aren't many geniuses in any field at any given time), but it's a good game that's well-beloved by many.

The whole situation kind of reminds me of the hullabaloo with Civ 5. The reaction to Civ 5, at release, was quite the same as to D3 -- lots of complaints about streamlining, tarnishing a beloved franchise, etc. The lead designer, Jon Shafer, had actually been in charge of a really well-received Civ 4 expansion, but his design for Civ 5 drew too much from board games and wargames, which turned a lot of people off. Eventually, Shafer left -- I'm not sure if it was something akin to a firing (he went to go work for Stardock on similar 4x games), but Civ 5 has really improved since his departure. At this point, I enjoy posts and information from Wyatt Cheng much more than from Jay, who seems kind of grumpy and imperious -- I wonder if a potential replacement of Jay with Wyatt is in the offing for the expansion, and what a Wyatt-led game would look like.