Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Internet connection keeps dropping periodically

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Arkardo, Oct 24, 2013. | Replies: 17 | Views: 3961

1. Arkardo

Arkardo IncGamers Member

Hai all,

Well, I thought I'd pick up D3, but I seem to have a problem with my internet connection. It drops every 5-15 minutes or so, for about 10-20 seconds. Not only does this ruin my D3 gameplay, but it also makes Skype a big hassle (hence I'm posting this in the OT forum). I've tried the following to fix it:

- Turned the router off for a minute (while the laptop was switched off)
    - Disabled Windows Firewall
    - Changed my mobility settings, so that it doesn't switch off the network adapter to save power
    - Updated my network drivers
    - Refreshed my IP (ipconfig/release; ipconfig/renew)
    - Uninstalled the network adapter, and then rebooted so that it is re-installed

Unfortunately, nothing seems to work. No one else in the household seems to have a problem with the dropouts, but then again they don't use Skype or play online.

Does anyone have any idea whatsoever what else I can do to solve this problem? Thanks in advance for your time! :)
  2. Glurin

Glurin IncGamers Member

A quick test you can do is to bypass the router. Just grab a laptop (or desktop if one is close enough), take the cord that goes into the "internet" port on your router and plug that into your computer. Power off the router just to avoid any potential hassle with being connected to it wirelessly or something. The idea here is to connect at or as close to the dmark as possible. (That is the point where your network becomes the ISP's network.)

If it works fine, safe bet that the problem is local. Something wrong with your computer, your network, PEBCAK error, whatever. If it still doesn't work right, safe bet that your ISP needs to get involved.

EDIT: Just a quick note, if your ISP does something silly like assign all their customers static IPs or does MAC address filtering or something, you'll get nothing at all. If this is the case, they probably consider the router part of their network and you'll have to call them anyway.
  3. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Also try to start the task manager (crtl-shift-esc) and then the resource manager (button in the performance tab or so), to check the network activity. Perhaps something is using up all bandwidth for some nonsense from time to time.
  4. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Did you turn it off and On?
  5. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

If you're not wireless, have you tried moving your computer to a different phone jack? The wiring where I live is decades old, and I needed technicians to come in twice. My problem was exactly the same as yours because of ancient faulty wiring in these old houses.
  6. Arkardo

Arkardo IncGamers Member

Thanks for all the replies!

I've tried playing D3 while directly connected to the router, and I've had only one disconnect in ~2 hours. It's hard to draw conclusions from this, as I've had similar experiences before. Still, this is about the best performance I've had so far while playing D3, especially considering the lack of lag that I also occasionally get.

I'll keep that resource monitor up, in case I get another disconnect. The house I live in was build around 10 years ago, so the wiring should still be ok, right?

I would guess this particular disconnect was caused by something else, and that the problem is local. Btw, how frequent are random disconnects (from Blizzard's side) still happen these days?
  7. Arkardo

Arkardo IncGamers Member

Well, went back to playing connected normally (not directly to the router), and the disconnects are back full force. The resource monitor shows that there barely is any network activity, so that's not the problem. Any idea's on what I could do to fix this? :S
  8. krischan

You mean you are not directly connected to the network port of the modem, right? That means, the router is the device which is between the computer and the modem, probably having a builtin switch as well. If you aren't sure, what's the name of that device?

Whatever, it's probably that thing which is causing problems. Try hooking up a different computer to it and check for drops as well.

Posting #2^15! :alright:
  9. Glurin

Glurin IncGamers Member

If you're normally wireless between your laptop and your router, it's also possible you've just got a simple case of bad signal strength and/or interference. Signal strength would be a question of how far you are from the router, how many walls are between you and it, what are they made of, that sort of thing. Usually fixed by repositioning your stuff or getting a range extender of some kind.

Interference is a question of what other wireless devices are filling your house with mind control radio waves. First, get a tinfoil hat. Then check to see if there are other wireless networks in your area. Just open the list of wireless networks that your computer can see, usually done by clicking on the little wireless network icon down by the clock on the task bar. If there are other networks around, like the neighbor's, they can potentially cause problems if they are on the same channel as yours. It's also possible if you're in a densely populated area that your band is saturated with other networks, in which case the better solution is getting a dual band router.

Other things to look for is cordless phones and baby monitors. Some of them operate on the same frequency as typical household wireless networks. A microwave or treadmill between you and the router can also cause problems.

Or you could ignore all that and just run a really long network cord across the floor for people to trip on. :whistling:
  10. Arkardo

Arkardo IncGamers Member

I'm always connected by cable, so that can't be the problem. I've even changed the wireless network adapter settings, so that it doesn't check for networks or do any other evil stuff that may cause the connection to drop. During the testing, I was connected directly to the router (a WGRT04).

I do have another laptop, a very old one, with Windows XP. Is there some option or software that records the internet connection or something?

I'm seriously starting to consider that long network cord... :scratchchin:
  11. krischan

Well OK, that's an all-in-one router plus cable modem. I think I got you wrong. You are normally working with a wireless connection and with "hooking up directly", you mean a connection via a network cable, right? If you have a desktop PC, a network cable is better anyway, but it seems you have a laptop. To find out what the problem is, you need either another one with wireless or a different router or another network card. There are wireless cards which can be connected to a USB port, the cheapest ones cost €12 or so, but perhaps you can borrow one somewhere.

Glurin's suggestion to get a tinfoil hat is a good start as well, but a full body suit is better.
  12. Glurin

Glurin IncGamers Member

Wait, so you're always connected via cable, yet when you tested directly connected to the router you didn't experience any issues? I'm assuming you used a different cable to test with than you use on a normal basis? That tells me that the problem is something between you and the router when you're connected the way you normally are.

If your normal connection is just a cable from the router to your laptop without any switches or anything in the middle, then my guess would be you've got a faulty or damaged network cable, which is not unheard of. Simplest solution is to get a new cable and replace the old one. (ie. the really long network cord) If there is stuff in between, such as switches, couplers, other routers (which could easily cause other problems if not configured correctly), you'll have to work your way along that connection until you find the point where it gives you trouble.

And don't forget the hat! It is absolutely essential when doing this kind of work. ;)
  13. Arkardo

Arkardo IncGamers Member

Ah, sorry if I was a bit unclear. Yes, I'm working on a laptop, and I always use a cable.

I've tried out using another cable, but it didn't work, unfortunately. I guess I'll have to start checking the other cables, then. I'll ask around at my work for a wireless card as well.

Thanks for all your input so far! I really appreciate your time! :)
  14. Arkardo

Arkardo IncGamers Member

Ok, so I dusted off my old laptop and let it run while I was playing D3. As soon as I noticed I was going to have another disconnected, I tried to google something on the older laptop. Guess what, it also couldn't connect to the interwebz. Also, my dad said that he noticed that he sometimes couldn't load a page, but it would work fine when he tried again. Yeah, thanks dad, for not remembering earlier when I asked you about it. It's not like you could've saved me a buttload of time... :p

So anyway, this would mean that the problem is likely either with the router, or the internet service itself. Should I contact my ISP, like Glurin said? I have no experience working with routers, or are there some simple things I could try?
  15. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Call ISP wait...
    ISP asks if it works connected directly to the equipment they provide?

Things to do.
    Check the manual online and try a reset to defaults then any firmware updates and then reprogram any settings for DNS DHCP ETC.
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  16. Glurin

Glurin IncGamers Member

I'm afraid you've run out of the simple stuff to try outside of running virus scans on every computer. Viruses are kind of the wild card of computer problems, capable of causing all manner of symptoms or lack thereof. There's other tests you can do, but you're pretty much at the end of the layman territory here.

What you've got is a combination ADSL modem/router that I'm betting you got from the ISP when your internet was installed. If that's the case, then it falls under the support umbrella of the ISP and I wouldn't recommend screwing around with things like firmware upgrades and whatnot without knowing exactly what you're doing. Mostly because doing so gives them an excuse to stick you with extra repair fees.

You're problem is also intermittent, which is a pain to diagnose. Depending on how they are set up, they might have some logs to look at that shows if you're dropping out or not.

In either case, it sounds like you've got the problem traced back as far as you can go for now.
  17. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

I blame the NSA.
  18. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013