Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Interesting dungeon champion-elite farming build

Discussion in 'Monk' started by xaec, May 1, 2012. | Replies: 37 | Views: 3305

1. xaec

xaec IncGamers Member

Interesting dungeon champion-elite farming build

Hey fellow monk readers, i've been following the monk development closely and i have an interesting build i would like to share, and hopefully recieve some input from you!

---------------------------------------------------------
    Important build clarification aka TL;DR : Tempest rush will be used with the 25% increased speed rune as a movement ability only, rushing through dungeons or other areas that are packed with monsters, knocking them back and slowing them, while only killing the elite/champion monster packs and bosses. This is to take advantage of the naphalem buff. Many of this builds abilities are used to get a high passive spirit regen, to be able to keep tempest rush up indefinately. Most of the skills are selected with this in mind.

---------------------------------------------------------
    So here is the build:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WicfZQ!cYb!ZYZZbZ

The main idea of this build is be like this: you go down to the dungeon/cave/whatever where you are going to MF, and use Cyclone strike to pull in a big pack, stack up sweeping wind to 3 stacks for the spirit per second to start ticking. This will give you a flat 8 spirit per second regeneration. With spirit regen as a stat spawning on monk class specific items, i believe getting 2 extra spirit per second would be easy attainable.

The reason you would want this is to be able to use Tempest rush, with 25% increased run speed, indefinately. This with some runspeed on boots etc, would make you move very fast through dungeons/mobpacks, just knocking them back, slowing them and still having a good passive life regen from both transendence and MoH to heal up whatever damage you take.

While having sweeping wind activated on 3 stacks, added with the damage from tempest rush, you do hurt the mobs quite abit also. That is 45% weapon damage from sweeping wind, and 50% from tempest rush. If you wouldn't be able to reach 10 sprit per second, i guess using it for 2 spirit per second would make you able to run for quite some time aswell. But i assume you will be able to get it, as you actually could get 3+ spirit / second just by the beta gear.

This, coupled with the passive healing from mantra of healing, and transendence, would give you quite the regen while "Running" with tempest rush aswell.

I use crippling wave as a generator because of its damage reducting nature with the concussion rune, reducing enemies damage by 20% for 3 seconds after they've been hit. I also have lashing tail kick as a spirit dump/spender. As this will be a quite spirit-heavy generating build, and lashing tail kick is pretty cheap, i reckon i would be able to spam it quite much against those elite mobs once i found a pack. After a pack is down, just rinse and repeat.

What do you think of this build?

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  2. redrach

redrach IncGamers Member

Re: Interesting dungeon champion-elite farming build

Pretty good, I'd potentially replace Exalted Soul with Guardian's Path and wield a Daibo instead of dual-wielding. Since most of your spirit regen comes from spirit/s instead of attacks, you won't lose out on spirit by wielding a 2h weapon, and Guardian's Path will boost all the passive spirit regen as well. The loss of Exalted Soul won't hurt much because most of the time you're going to be burning through your Spirit with Tempest Rush instead of constantly stacking it with fast spirit generators - so you'll rarely go over 150 spirit in the first place.

You could potentially also replace Lashing Tail Kick with Exploding Palm (Essence Burn or other) later on - making your primary tactic Tempest Rushing to elites, applying Exploding Palm to them, Cyclone Striking everything onto them, and then keeping the entire group kb'd with Tempest Rush until the elites explode and kill everything else.

3. Hadrial

Hadrial IncGamers Member

I don't think this build would work IMO. Tempest rush is a pretty terrible skill, and until I see sweeping wind in action I can't say anything about it, but by the looks of it I don't think it will be useful as a staple in any build, just for bonus damage.

Also, none of those passives look at all appealing to me.

4. xaec

xaec IncGamers Member

Alright, please elaborate, why do you think tempest rush would be pretty terrible in this case? Its use is mainly for moving faster, which it does pretty good when adding 25% attack speed and knockback/slow to enemies in my opinion. And well, i guess sweeping wind is only used for the bonus damage.

The passives i can see that you don't like. probably exalted soul could be swapped out for something else. Although i want the extra spirit regen from Chant of resonance, and well, the healing from trancendence i reckon will be good as this build will use really much spirit, but well, that remains to be seen in action. In case i seem to stay alive good with just Mantra of healing, i might swap that one out aswell.

5. xaec

xaec IncGamers Member

I agree on most points! exalted soul might be quite easly replaced. And yes, exploding palm might be interesting instead!

6. Hadrial

Hadrial IncGamers Member

Moving faster so that sweeping wind can do damage, i don't consider it a very powerful skill on its own, so you would basically herd mobs and hoping to kill them with a bone armor from necro's in d2.

7. xaec

xaec IncGamers Member

Moving faster so that sweeping wind Can do damage? Do you mean that i will move to fast for sweeping wind to even do damage? hm maybe yes. Well, i get your point about the herding mobs, although the parallel that you try to draw to the necromancer skill bone armor is out of place, as bone armor doesn't even do any damage at all...with this setup i will be making 45% +50% weapon damage every time i run past a mob and tempest rush / sweeping wind attacks, aswell as knocking back and slowing every monster i pass.

One thing that im thinking about though is if the mobs will deaggro from me as i move further into the dungeon (this is the way i believe it to be), or if the first mob you aggro in the start will follow you until you find the first elite pack.

The build and this playstyle assumes that mobs wont follow on forever. I hardly believe this to be the case though.

8. Hadrial

Hadrial IncGamers Member

Why would you want to knock them back as you need them to be close to get the damage from sweeping wind? Is this just to run past everything, or actually kill things? I haven't played d2 in a while so bone armor was a bad example, but 95% weapon damage is nothing to get excited about in harder difficulties IMO.

9. xaec

xaec IncGamers Member

Valid question.
    The goal i want to achieve with this build is a character that can very quickly travel through a tightly packed monster environment, and focusing on killing the elite/champion mob packs. Tempest rush is not an ability chosen for killing power. Sweeping wind is mostly chosen for its increase to spirit regeneration per second. If it will be easy to get 10 spirit/sec on gear only, this spec would look alot different, with only tempest rush runed for runspeed as the only requiement for my idea of a build.

That we wont know until release, but as i recall i have seen datamined information stating that every piece of gear (not only monk specific) can spawn with up to 2 spirit per second.

Say I would be able to gear my spirit to 10/second, then alot would change in this build.

This is kindof just pitching the idea of a build revolving around using tempest rush for fast travel through mobs to find those elite packs, which increases our magic find through the naphalem buff, and then going for the boss quickly. Minimizing the time fighting regular mobs.

But yes, with 10spirit / sec regen from gear, sweeping wind is replaceable with a better alternative. So is Mantra of healing, and chant of resonance, as the main reason for me including them in the setup is to get their added spirit regeneration.

10. redrach

redrach IncGamers Member

The point is not to use Tempest Rush as a primary damage skill. It's being used as a mobility skill (note the +25% movement speed rune) so that he can rush through a dungeon and find elites. Then you use Cyclone Strike + Crippling Wave + Lashing Tail Kick/Exploding Palm to kill things.
    Sweeping Wind isn't a must, but it adds a nice 3 spirit/s regen as well as makes your dps while Tempest Rushing more noticeable so you can kill trash mobs as you run through them.

11. Such Violent Storms

Such Violent Storms IncGamers Member

This. I think confusion would be subdued if this were stated clearer in the OP (not to say the OP lacks the ability to be clear).

And SW probably looks awesome whilst running around.

I like this build. It has spunk. Pizazz.

12. xaec

xaec IncGamers Member

Exactly, couldn't have put it better myself. Although i beat you to the reply by one minute, hehe.

Well indeed, and say that you could achieve a 10 spirit per second, very interesting builds could rise that are evoloved through this concept of rushing through a dungeon with high movement speed through tempest rush. Maybe even fleet fotted for 10% movement speed passive ability could be added.

Maybe replace Mantra of healing with Mantra of conviction with overawe rune for 24% additional damage, and change up sweeping wind for Seven sided strike etc etc etc...

13. xaec

xaec IncGamers Member

I have edited the main/original post abit to clarify the intentions of this build! Glad you liked it! i indeed think it will look pretty awesome in game.

14. Hadrial

Hadrial IncGamers Member

Why not just get thunderclap on fist of thunder to teleport, or something equivalent. Also, using 75 spirit to get 3spirit/s(while at maximum stack)? Seems kind of counter intuitive.

15. redrach

redrach IncGamers Member

Right. Depending on exactly how much regen you can get you could possibly even go completely overboard with movement speed, for example:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#UciVfh!aYb!ZZYcYb
    That'd put you at a positively silly +55% movement speed for 5 seconds after you crit thrice with WotHF, followed by a steady +40%.

Well you can't Thunderclap without any targets around, while with enough spirit regen you can Tempest Rush forever for the 25% movespeed. The kb also keeps enemies disoriented while you run through the dungeon.
    If you can keep up Sweeping Wind between battles (less than 6s between mobs, which might be doable with all the speed we have), then the 75 spirit cost is a one-time cost over a large duration. If you can maintain it for over 25s, it'll pay for itself and more. This is together with the damage it does. Of course this is hoping Tempest Rushing maintains Sweeping Wind's stacks. Otherwise it'll have to be cut.

16. xaec

xaec IncGamers Member

Hm, why should getting a thunderclap runed fist of thunder help this build out? its not a very useful skill for moving fast over a longer time period, it only works as a small gap closer (about half a screen, and only teleports on the first attack of three). What else would be equivalent to that? dashing strike? a gap closer aswell and not really what i am going for...

The reason i spend 75 spirit to get 3 spirit per second, is to be able to keep using tempest rush until i find an elite/champion pack of monsters. Without atleast 10 in passive regen, either from gear or skills (here assuming skills), i wont be able to rush with tempest rush indefinately.
    I also think it is useful to get my damage up abit, making it more noticable when rushing and not having the damage come only from tempest rush.

I also think sweeping wind will be useful when i find that elite pack, and pull them together with cyclone strike, as an extra damage source.

17. xaec

xaec IncGamers Member

Ah! i really like that build, just to show what can be done i mean. I wonder if it maybe is aabit crazy going for the generator for 5 seconds speed with WotHF hehe, but i get your idea, going overboard !
    And i like it!

I wonder if it is any kind of cap to passive movement increase?

18. redrach

redrach IncGamers Member

Oh yeah, I forgot about Way of the Falling Star (Dashing Strike rune) - adds 25% move speed after dashing.
    80% move speed for 3s in all. :p

19. Hadrial

Hadrial IncGamers Member

Once you get to your champions/elites, what would you actually use to kill them? I do like the hundred fists /blazing fists change.

20. xaec

xaec IncGamers Member

Hehe well well.

I read your reply about tempest rush attacks not refreshing sweeping wind. That might indeed be the case, and would be sad. Lets hope it does! I guess it should refresh it, just as any other melee attack. From what i can understand sweeping wind is a skill that you will click, and then try to keep alive by fighting! i mean, it would seems pretty certain that a standard generator could refresh sweeping wind, and by that i think that tempest rush also could do it.

Although, we can not know for sure, and will have to wait til may 15+ to find out...