Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Intel Core i's vs. AMD

Discussion in 'Tech Support for Diablo 3, Battle.Net & Systems' started by Diab, Apr 3, 2012. | Replies: 20 | Views: 2261

1. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

Intel Core i's vs. AMD

So I'm a little confused. I have wondered this for a long time and never really got an answer. Time and time again, I have looked at numbers with various processors and a lot of the time, when an AMD processor seems to be way better in every way over an Intel processor, benchmark charts show otherwise.

This thread was mostly prompted over a bit of research looking at this thread:
    http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/...-a-brand-new-computer-for-diablo-3-want-input

I compared the two processors of the two builds:
    Intel Core i5-2300
    vs
    AMD FX-4100

By the stats under details, the AMD processor seems to be better in EVERY SINGLE WAY.
    Intel vs. AMD:
    Speed: 2.8GHz (3.1GHz Turbo Boost) vs. 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo)
    L2 Cache: 4 x 256KB vs. 2 x 2MB
    L3 Cache: 6MB vs. 8MB
    Not to mention the Intel one costs $70 more.

Yet, all the benchmarks I've looked at, show the Intel one excel over the AMD processor:
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
    http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1201139-AR-1110171AR82

I don't know what L2/L3 cache means, but I assume it's some kind of memory thing, thus bigger is better. So... I ask, what am I missing here? Are there some other kinds of numbers that I should be looking at and paying attention to?
  2. Namik

Namik IncGamers Member

Re: Intel Core i's vs. AMD

Don't look on numbers. It's the whole architecture of CPU that metters. When you look for CPU read reviews, although if you look for gaming CPU don't look on benchmarks. Look on how the game performs in game tests.
    As for gaming FX-4100 is on pair with Intel i3 2100 (with i3 taking lead pretty often).
  3. Tilitoon

Tilitoon IncGamers Member

Yup, and your first stat is a bit misleading, it should read "Frequency" and not "Speed". The performance of the CPU is much more dependent on the architecture than the bare frequency, although, generally speaking the more you increase the frequency the better performance you get.

Yes L2 / L3 are the internal cache of the CPU. The bigger the better, you can't simply compare L2/L3 size of one CPU architecture to another and conclude it's better solely on that.

The way the Bulldozer / FX CPU work is by using "modules" which share information between the cores. It is very different than what Intel does. The price points are accurate, the i3 is generally better than the FX, especially in games.
  4. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

So you're saying that besides looking at benchmarks/reviews, a good approximate way to tell if two CPUs have similar performance, is by price?
  5. Tilitoon

Yes, generally speaking it is true, for CPU or GPUs within the same categories. But obviously looking at specific benchmarks for what you are planning on doing with the component is probably the best method.
  6. Evilfury

Evilfury IncGamers Member

Im no tech expert, but I am learning of the different comp hardwares out there with the eventual intent to utilize said knowledge to build my own computer. I couldn't help but read this thread and have a question to ask.

Would the post pertaining to the fx cpu architecture in the thread link below, authored by the user Mu_engineer, be accurate fact? Or might this guy be talking out his hind end?
    The post, the way the facts were presented, made a rather interesting read.:scratchchin:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/page-328012_28_50.html#t2486883

7. Tilitoon

Which part exactly ? In any case, it might be a good read but it won't help you very much to build your own computer. Actually it is pretty simple, if you are building a gaming rig, you want to go for Intel (i5 ideally), or if you are on a very tight budget you can go for AMD with a Phenom II X4 or the FX, just because they are "good enough" and you can save money on that and put it in the video card which will yield you way better results in game.

8. Buu

Buu IncGamers Member

I've been told to go with the i3 if you are gaming on a budget. Similar price to the AMD counterparts, but they seem to do better for games.

9. Tilitoon

Yea when I said "you want to go for Intel (i5 ideally)", I meant if you can afford the i5 then go for it, otherwise go for the i3, and if you are on a very very tight budget then go for AMD. The i3 are just slightly more expensive than the Phenom, same thing for the sandy bridge boards VS AM3.

10. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

Looking at your responses, it seems that the tables have turned since a few years ago and Intel is the prime gaming CPU maker now. What about for non-gaming uses then? I do work with Autodesk 3DS Max (very processor-intensive, but only uses a single core so far), and some video encoding with Adobe Premier/Media Encoder/After Effects (very processor-intensive; uses all four of my cores), besides gaming. Are the Intels still the best choice for that, or is AMD overall a better choice for that? Or what would AMDs better serve as, PC wise? Servers?
  11. Xxpereraxx

Xxpereraxx IncGamers Member

I've got amd bulldozer 6 core over clocked to 4.0ghz and it's great runs very fast and great performance in games there is also a patch for windows 7 to help with support for the bulldozer
  12. arindred

arindred IncGamers Member

What you want to consider as well is that AMD is bowing out of the processor race, so Intel will be the exclusive maker of processors. Thus for the long haul down the road if you are thinking of making a computer for the ages to keep upgrading, an Intel processor and motherboard is what you need.
  13. jamesL

jamesL IncGamers Member

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-fx-6100-overclock-benchmark,3099.html

The $1200 build with the
    AMD FX-6100
    3.3 - 3.9 GHz, 8 MB L3 Cache

and TWO Radeon HD 6950 1 GB

gets completely stomped by

the $600 build with the

Intel Core i5-2400
    3.1 - 3.4 GHz, 6 MB L3 Cache

and a single Radeon HD 6870 1 GB

Intel Core i5-2400
    3.10 GHz Quad-Core

or higher is always the way to go

14. Tilitoon

Fixed.

Even the i5 clocked at 3.3Ghz will be faster than an FX at 3.6Ghz in games.

15. Buu

Buu IncGamers Member

For that question, I'd ask for help at tomshardware.com. While there might be a few users here who know the answer, there's a larger pool there.

16. Dyz

Dyz IncGamers Member

The best advice at the moment, if you dont know much about how cpu's actually work, is that Intel Chips are currently king at just about everything, and AMD is the budget chip. If you can afford a couple extra bucks, the Intel chips in comparison to their AMD counterparts are the better bang for the buck at every tier.
  17. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

Thanks all for the advice and information. I'm a die-hard AMD fan and it's very hard letting them go. I would even possibly get a lower-class processor for the same price just to stick with AMD, just for brand loyalty.

However...

I think this is the greatest determining factor for me in this thread. I always spend a little extra to get top-of-the-line products that will last me for years to come, future-proofing in every way possible. It's how I have a 3-4 year old PC that can still run pretty much everything very well. So if AMD is really bowing out of the enthusiast/gamer-class processor race, I guess I will have to lean towards switching to Intel my next upgrade.

At least I can still keep buying their Radeons. :D

18. Tilitoon

Yea it sucks that they are getting stomped by Intel, competition is always good for the consumers. I'd love to support AMD too (I've done it in the past when they actually had good CPUs (Athlon 64 vs Intel Pentium 4 for example)... but today the game is very different.
  19. Kuma Hobby

Kuma Hobby IncGamers Member

intel has always been a better CPU maker. AMD is more of a cheaper alternative.

If you look at the market share, intel has 90% of the CPU chipset market.

20. Davidus

Davidus IncGamers Member