Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Insanity Barb

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by TheOatman, Sep 13, 2011. | Replies: 8 | Views: 657

1. TheOatman

TheOatman IncGamers Member

Insanity Barb

V.1 http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#PfTiYW!bTh!bZbYYZ
    V.2 http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#YfgTiP!XTh!ZZcZcZ
    V.3 http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#YfgTiP!dTh!ZZcZcZ

Please critique my build. This configuration would rely on moving fast in order to sustain Wrath, Battle Rage, and Frenzy as much as possible. Giant's stride (on earthquake) is in there mostly for coolness factor (and AoE); weapon throw is in for taking out more dangerous stuff from a distance.

V.2 Notes: For Version 2 the spirit of the build is changed considerably, even though it's using almost the same skills. This one would require more careful pulling and more downtime between groups of mobs. With insane bonuses to damage and speed though, this might as well be an ambulant meatgrinder. Earthquake is used for CC / stun, with frenzy and charge actually being the main damage dealers. V.1 might have worked, and war cry was a good replacement for weapon throw, as Aspect suggested. However, the frenzied pace of darting from group to group, only stopping once an area is cleared to collect loot, does not fit my play style that much.

V.3 Notes I've replaced Berserker Rage with Animosity - This might yield a bit less damage but since the build is slightly squishy (for a barb), it needs to have Chilling Earth Earthquake available as much as possible for crowd control. My main interest with this build is PvE by the way, not PvP.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  2. Aspect

Aspect IncGamers Member

Re: Insanity Barb

So interesting build, my first critique would be that I don't think Weapon throw really fits with this build, I think if you're going to go for weapon throw it should be a primary attack and you should get the passive that goes with it. Here it seems that you'd have 2 main fury spending attacks, namely earthquake and throw weapon. Personally I like it more as an earthquake centric build and would probably go with a Golden rune for The Mountains Call effect instead. Along with Bul-Kathos this would allow you to cast earthquake in relatively quick succession using time in between to cast wrath of the berserker and build up frenzy charges. It'll be interesting to see if all of the +damage works with earthquake, if it does this could be very powerful. As for what to replace weapon throw with it seems there are plenty of good options, War Cry for fury generation and some extra defense could be good, some type of crowd control would probably be useful, sprint might fit in well with a frenzy build helping you to build/keep your charge.
  3. LucianDK

LucianDK IncGamers Member

Hmm, an earthquaker barb, interesting to see how much the cd can be reduced.
  4. TheOatman

Thanks for the suggestions, I too felt throw weapon did not fit. I'll have to tweak further :)

5. RazeBarb

RazeBarb IncGamers Member

I think the Golden Rune is a bad choice for WotB.
    "Every 9 fury gained increases the effect by 1 second."

You'd really make an effort to build your gear/other skills around fury gains or else the Rune effect won't make much of a difference.
    IMHO Alabaster Rune is the way to go for WotB if you want to rip and tear.
  6. TheOatman

Updated with v.2
  7. LucianDK

The passive that gives extra damage when at max fury seems pointless really. You are wasting an awful lot of potential fury generated if you are trying to stay at max. And if you are staying at 100, then you are not using your fury spenders. And if using them, then the passive is worthless.
  8. TheOatman

Assuming you come into a fight with full fury (Unforgiving), you could pop rage, cry and WoB and only be short 65 fury. After a charge that deficit would be down to 50. It seems you could regain that pretty quickly in a larger group of Mobs with Frenzy. I think you have a good point though... Either more aggressive frenzy generation is needed, or a more versatile passive. Animosity seems like a good candidate if one wants to use Earthquake more often, Ruthless if one wants higher average damage.

9. LucianDK

The passive would be far more useful if you had the damage bonus for 10+ secs after leaving max fury.