Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Inferno no longer a linear difficulty

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Kblavkalash, Mar 30, 2012. | Replies: 261 | Views: 12197

1. Kblavkalash

Kblavkalash IncGamers Member

Inferno no longer a linear difficulty

Bashiok just posted: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4254459132?page=33#654

This is may be a good a time as any to REVEAL TEH SEKRITS! that Inferno monster levels aren't linear any longer. They get progressively more difficult. This was really a reaction to Inferno playtesting. Our original intent was to have a flat difficulty level where you could go wherever you want, farm for items, and it'd be no more or less difficult than any other area in Inferno. This caused a few inherent issues for us, though:

• It just felt wrong. It didn't feel right to be progressing through the game and have it stay pretty much the same difficulty the whole time. It felt like a letdown to get to the final boss of the game and it be no more difficult than the first.
    • There’s a wide variety of players out there and we wanted to make sure everybody had something to sink their teeth into. We expect that anybody with enough time and dedication will reach level 60. But the jump in difficulty to Inferno needed to be different amounts for different people. For the crazy people they need a HUGE ramp in difficulty, for a more “casual but still hardcore” audience you want an obvious but milder increase in difficulty. So for the crazy people who play non-stop they’ll hit Act I and get a challenge, but 1 month later they’ll still have something to work on (Acts II, III and IV). For the “hardcore-casual” they will reach level 60 later and not get brick walled when they reach Inferno. They can experience some “small victories” working on Act I with the dream of maybe someday reaching the later acts.
    • Longevity. We know people really want goals to work towards and challenges to overcome. We made Act III and Act IV really, really brutally hard, for the most elite players only. It felt wrong to make ALL of Inferno that brutally hard.

Now, you may be saying “I thought you wanted us to be able to farm anywhere we wanted. Now we only have half as much area in the game to farm in? What gives?” Our goal is to make the loot mathematically better in the later acts without making the earlier gear completely obsolete. We feel Diablo II actually did a very good job with this and we expect Diablo III to perform similarly.

Specifically, people in D2 did Diablo runs, Mephisto runs, Pindleskin runs, Pit runs, Baal runs, etc. because the loot in Diablo is extremely random. Even though the theoretical best items might come from the later Acts, well-rolled items from earlier acts will still be better. Internally we find sometimes after an intense session of brutally hard Inferno it can be really fun to cruise through Hell Act III or IV and it’s not too uncommon surprise when an upgrade drops. We expect this to carry through to Inferno difficulty where somebody who can theoretically farm Act IV will likely still enjoy romping through Act I simply because the drop potential is still there. It’s all because of the highly random items having lots of overlap in their power distribution curves.

Imo that's awesome change, i am very happy about that :) I always knew that flat difficulty looks wrong, but now everyone will always have a challenge.
  2. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Re: Inferno no longer a linear difficulty

Well, ****ing damnit.
  3. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

I was personally looking forward to the flat difficulty :p.

Nonetheless, this is cool, too ^_^. His promises of awesome loot still dropping at earlier parts of the game have placated me, but I can't wait to see just how tough Acts 2, 3, and 4 of Inferno are! :D

I hope that the best loot is still endgame Inferno though, otherwise, what would be the point? :p
  4. Kblavkalash

Kblavkalash IncGamers Member

So for the crazy people who play non-stop they’ll hit Act I and get a challenge, but 1 month later they’ll still have something to work on (Acts II, III and IV).

So even the guy of who plays non-stop won't be able to get through whole inferno in months lol.. Sounds too cool to be true.

In d2 hell was beaten in like 1-2 days and everyone loved that game, imagine how awesome this will be.
  5. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

D2 Hell could be beaten quickly because you could outlevel the content :p. You'd always be higher-level than all the monsters.

In D3, the level cap of 60 and monsters in Inferno BEGINNING at 61 ensure that it's not gonna be a walk in the park :p. I'm really excited because I want to believe Blizzard is right about Inferno's difficulty so much XD.
  6. Cincinnati

Cincinnati IncGamers Member

Well, this combined with PvP should keep one busy for a while. :)
  7. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Translation: Actual end-game systems are so far off we need to keep them distracted with progression grind even longer than anticipated. Alas, good bye, innovative end-game concept!
  8. Coolhwip

Coolhwip IncGamers Member

Yeah, now the only way casuals and baddies will ever see late inferno is when better players make videos of it. Actually I forgot they could whine on the forums like they always do, so there is hope yet.

My thoughts exactly, but I like this change.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  9. Bad Ash

Bad Ash IncGamers Site Pal

10. imthedan

imthedan IncGamers Member

Great move. It basically works out to what I was talking about in another thread (where I got *****ed out) because I wanted Inferno to get progressively harder. I wanted teamwork required content, and this is going to be the closest thing to it without getting too "WoWy" -- Great, great move by Blizzard.
  11. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

i love the change but i hope you can still solo it. forced groups is not my idea of fun
  12. prodiii

prodiii IncGamers Member

im gonna repost my respons from this thread which i think is very important and what people dont see yet:

"well i love this change ! i really really hope it all will be true. act 3/4 exclusive to some sort of dedicated players. BUT I HAVE ONE CONERN !!!!! I think big concern. The economy is already destroyed with this change. Completely :/ Probably some group of players gonna drive whole market making millions ...
    let me explain why. since max lvl you get on hell and it is lvl 60 then all the time any player will search for lvl 60 gear by any stat/dps they gonna get the best items from act 3 and 4 at top. that completly cuts the other hard working players who wont make it that fast. so the problem is - we need a lvl difference between those acts - like 60 - 61 or making some other string for search (like item lvl like in wow) to differes the gear !!!!"
  13. yovargas

yovargas IncGamers Member

Holy crap I hate this. What they're saying is Inferno is exactly the same as D2's Hell except without the small incentive of gaining lvls. So it's just like D2...but with less reward. How can anyone see this as a good thing?? It's no longer an endgame! Why not cut Inferno all together and make Hell "really, really hard"?? Does no one else think progressing through the same content with the same character a f*&^%$@ fourth time sounds incredibly tedious???
  14. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Pretty much. I thought Nightmare/Hell separation was useless before, but now its especially true. After Path of Exile, 4 difficulty levels in progression is very, VERY obnoxious. You'd think the lesson to "it felt weird" would be to unlock all of Inferno acts from the start and modify Nightmare/Hell into the new progression.

This, overall, just screams "we need to buy time!"
  15. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes IncGamers Member

Hm. Sucks a bit. We are back to farming specific areas (or acts at least) for loot then? The thing they did not want to happen.
    Not sure what the benefit is. That we will have a step in between the old Hell and the old Inferno (New act 1-2 Inferno)? As in "inferno was too hard", so we made half of it easier".

Konfeta hits the mark though. Add some more interesting end-game.

Edit: And yeah, Nightmare should have been gone a long time ago.
  16. FaultyYogurt

FaultyYogurt IncGamers Member

I don't want to go through the same thing four times. Was hoping that their answer to the boringness of a flat difficulty was instead to add inferno-only events/challenges/quests that varied in difficulty... but alas.
  17. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

it may not be the best end game we could have but its for sure not d2. d2 hell was pretty easy. cant beat something? just grind a couple levels and steam roll it. good luck doing that in inferno

people killed baal like a million times. i am sure people will be ok if the last dif level really takes 3-4 months to beat

18. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

You don't seem to understand. This is PRECISELY what Inferno became. Instead of grinding a couple of levels you grind up a couple of new items and move on. This kind of stuff should have been relegated to Hell mode.
  19. FaultyYogurt

FaultyYogurt IncGamers Member

That wasn't intended. It was only easy in d2x, not d2c, and even that was because we all got gear and developed effective builds faster than the devs expected.

20. Azzure

Azzure IncGamers Member

The difficulty progression between Act1 inferno and Act 4 inferno will be very different to the progression between Act 1 normal and Act 4 normal, or act 1 hell and act 4 hell. It is much more flat in Inferno, but now its just got some variance to it.

Very good change, would you believe I was planning on doing a writeup about how completely flat difficulty is a bad thing?