Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

[Guide] Inferno Diablo

Discussion in 'Wizard' started by magicrectangle, Jun 7, 2012. | Replies: 22 | Views: 7940

1. magicrectangle

magicrectangle IncGamers Member

I know I'm lol weeks late, but I killed Inferno Diablo today without any kind of cheesy stuff (no exploiting hydra heals, obviously no pre-nerf force armor or crit mass). So, I thought I would post a little write-up for it, in case anybody else is struggling with it.

This is the build I used.

All of the ability choices are geared around phase 2. Phase 1 and 3 are trivial.

Abilities (phase 1):

Teleport: He teleports to you and slaps you in the face. With force armor this is survivable, you can also usually pop diamond skin or teleport to get away before he swings, as the teleport itself doesn't do damage. That said, you should rarely, if ever, have this happen. He only teleports if you're standing near a map "edge" element. Not necessarily an outside edge, but the edge of any map element you can't pass through - like a crack in the ground in phase 2, or the center pits in phase 1/3.

Debuffs: He has two different DoT debuffs, both are applied in melee. If you don't let him teleport to you, you should never get these. If you do get them in phase 1/3, no big deal - the health wells don't just heal the damage they do, they also clear the DoT! If you get a DoT in phase 2 chances are you're gonna die.

Explodey fireball: Single big fireball that explodes and burns the ground, for initial damage followed by DoT damage. With force armor it shouldn't kill you, but you can usually avoid it by teleporting or just running laterally (don't run away from it, it will probably just keep going and hit you). Slow time also works well for it, you can slow it and then dodge at your leisure.

Fireball nova: Bunches of fireballs, not very dangerous. You can usually weave between them, but if not, they'll just hit you for 35% (force armor, yay) and don't have a DoT or anything bad associated. Diamond skin should full absorb assuming you don't have too many HP. These can also be stopped and dodged with slow time.

Cages: Trivial, he stops and puts black stuff on the ground. Don't stand in it. If you mess up and stand in it, you get trapped, then he teleports to you, picks you up, drains you to like 1hp and sets you down. Pop diamond skin as soon as you land and you can usually live, teleport to a health well immediately and you're okay. All the same don't get caught in this, there's no excuse for that. Note that the radius it grabs you is a little bigger than the graphic, so leave some room to be sure.

Abilities (phase 2):

All the same abilities as phase 1, except he doesn't fireball nova. Instead:

Shadow clones: They hurt. Spawn immediately, and then again when diablo is at 66% and 33%. Fortunately we have spec'd completely for dealing with them. The wizard uses a lot of abilities, most of them can be stopped by slow time. This is why we really picked up slow time.

Abilities (phase 3):

All the same abilities as phase 1, plus an additional ability:

Lightning breath attack: I have no idea how hard this hits, because it is trivially easy to avoid. Don't get hit with it, I assume. (I never did)

Strategy (phase 1):

Kite kite kite. He won't teleport to you unless you stand near an edge, so kite around the map in a circle, staying equidistant from the outside and the holes in the middle. Keep diablo just off your screen as you kite, with venom hydra down there and just toss seeker missiles, they'll find him. Keep stutter-step backing up as he comes at you. Sometimes he might charge you, if he does that teleport away and continue kiting.

This is not a DPS race, it is a survival race. Your goal isn't to do damage to Diablo. Your goal is not to take damage from diablo. Never try to get that extra cast off, just keep moving. If diablo is visible on your screen, you should be moving/teleporting, not casting anything, ever. If you **** up and get hit, teleport away, use a health potion. Don't use a health well unless you really need it. Try to keep them available in case you get a DoT and need to clear it.

Strategy (phase 2):

As let the cutscene play out so that your abilities can cool down, and your AP and HP can regenerate. As soon as you can start casting, drop a venom hydra and a slow time bubble. As soon as your shadow spawns, pop diamond skin and run until you can't see her anymore, then start spamming seeker missiles in her general direction. Her abilities will violate you if they hit you. Tornadoes, arcane orbs, venom hydras, they all hurt like hell. Drop a second slow time as soon as you're able, and pop diamond skin again as soon as you're able. Don't wait until you think you "need" them.

If it takes you a while to kill her, Diablo may come back before you are done. Don't panic, just stay away from edges and keep kiting. The edges are closer together at the bottom of the map than at the top, so the top is a better choice.

Once it is just diablo again go back to the usual kite system from phase 1, except the terrain is a little more problematic. Getting the occasional teleport is almost unavoidable in this phase, so be ready with teleport and diamond skin.

When he starts to get close to 66%/33% make sure you are at full health and have all your cooldowns before pushing him over. Repeat from the top until the phase is done.

Strategy (phase 3):

Same as phase 1. Literally nothing changes. The lightning hose isn't even a problem so long as you're kiting properly. He'll be so far away it will be a simple matter to run away when he lightning hoses at you. Again, remember, your goal isn't to do damage to Diablo, your goal is not to take damage from Diablo. If he is on your screen, you are moving/teleporting, not attacking, ever.

And that's it!
  2. magicrectangle

I figured I ought to add a show-and-tell section, so I went back and ran him again, this time I frapsed it for your viewing pleasure:

[video=youtube;U_J-u7x9dhQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_J-u7x9dhQ[/video]

This was simply the first go at it that I frapsed. It isn't a perfect run, but I figure for the purposes of a "guide" it is better to show an imperfect one anyway, so you can see me get myself around my mistakes. The two clear mistakes are standing in my shadow's venom hydra (thinking it was my own, grr) in phase 2, and just being dumb and getting myself caged in phase 3. The venom hydra issue actually happened twice. I wish there were an obvious way to tell them apart.

The venom hydra issue was "solved" just by moving out of the freaking venom and spamming heal pot / diamond skin. The cage issue was just not paying attention. It is solved by spamming the heck out of diamond skin as he sets you down (he always reduces you to almost dead, regardless of your HP), and teleporting to the nearest health well to fill up and clear the debuff he slaps on you.

My stats are shown at the end. I don't have some of the ridiculous AH'd gear like some people. 50k HP and 27k damage is something pretty much anybody who gets to act 4 legitimately ought to be able to achieve, so this build/strategy is viable for joe shmoe, not just those rich guys in their fancy duds.

Edit: I had some crit gear laying around so I decided "what the heck" and did Diablo with a critical mass build. Here's the video:

Phase 1 and 3 are surprisingly easy. Frost nova stops a lot of his stuff from ever doing anything. Phase 2 I had to run around a bit to wait for cooldowns while dealing with the shadows, but Diablo himself I mostly face tanked.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  3. Delvin

Delvin IncGamers Member

For possible interest I had a similar spec and similar stats with a couple of different choices that turned out to be viable.

Passives: I like evocation here with two important defensive cooldowns as a possible alternative over illusionist. I used temporal flux for some extra control over glass cannon, which also game me a bit of extra survivability. Flux is a very minor effect though, so could easily use something else in this slot, blur could be useful depending on gear for example (or glass cannon but I was very cautious about my resists on the first kill after dying several times to fire/dot).

To compensate for losing glass cannon I had magic weapon instead of slow time. In my experience the clones died pretty fast during just diamond skin and outlasting diablo itself with limited heals was a far bigger part of the difficulty in p2.

Not saying these are better options, but could be worth experimenting with. Being able to use magic weapon would speed up the fight quite a bit I think if you can still survive just fine.
  4. magicrectangle

This is true, but for me Diablo himself was not nearly as much of a problem as my shadow, so I spec'd accordingly.

5. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

This ability is seriously pissing me off every time I fight him. I can move 10 units to the side and the thing still hits somehow.
  6. magicrectangle

One of the most annoying things that I've noticed is that if you teleport right when it is about to hit you, it teleports to you and hits you anyway. You have to teleport well before it hits you. Wormhole helps you not get screwed if it does though. If the fireball is about to hit you when you start teleporting, hold down the teleport key. The fireball teleports with you the first time, lands for the upfront damage, but then you wormhole out before taking any DoT damage.

7. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

I found something even more annoying than that (though it happened to me).

O.K., get this - Diablo starting phase 2 cutscene in the middle of casting bone prison. Phase 2 starts off with Diablo picking me up and holding me until the clone spawns and gibs me.

WHAT. THE. ****? Do they even HAVE a Q&A department?
  8. dolicsehrant

dolicsehrant IncGamers Member

very nice guide.
    i cannot emphasize strongly enough the value of
    worth spending some gold to get well above the usual 12% movement speed.

concerning the shadows, i only encountered 3 different types:
    - the easiest used energy twister and teleport
    - another used shock pulse and meteor
    - the hardest used arcane orb and hydra (incidentally the same skills i was using)
    has anyone encountered more variations ?

9. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Hydra with Slow Time. Easy to pick down.

10. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

I think Shock Pulse is the most dangerous one. If it spawns close it can hit you before your teleport animation is over.
  11. magicrectangle

I've been 5 stacking diablo a bit lately, so I've fought all the versions of my shadow pretty regularly. I haven't had any problems with shock pulse. I have diamond skin up before she spawns, and start wormholing as soon as she does, don't seem to ever get hit with more than one pulse.

The worst for me is venom hydra, just 'cause I stand in it like an idiot thinking it is mine.

12. magicrectangle

I had some crit gear laying around so I decided "what the heck" and did Diablo with a critical mass build. Here's the video:
    [video=youtube;6HGzUyfRxm4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HGzUyfRxm4[/video]

Phase 1 and 3 are surprisingly easy. Frost nova stops a lot of his stuff from ever doing anything. Phase 2 I had to run around a bit to wait for cooldowns while dealing with the shadows, but Diablo himself I mostly face tanked.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  13. PhoeniX Skye

PhoeniX Skye IncGamers Member

Were you using the same build (and stats) you linked in the OP for getting 5 stacks? Act4 elites weren't an issue without a proper spam snare??

14. magicrectangle

Nah I was just 5 stacking him with blizz/hydra. I've gotten better at the fight and don't need slow time as a defensive crutch anymore.
  15. spiffymcbang

spiffymcbang D3 Trade Moderator<br> America, USEast (D2)<br> Ne

16. PhoeniX Skye

Ah ok haha. I noticed from your videos that you don't take a follower with you... is there a reason? I find that the 15% defense (and to a lesser extent, the 3% attack speed) from the Enchantress helps. Also, the +15% damage taken spell for 3 seconds or whatever might be useful too.

Edit: even if they're only alive for 10 seconds at a time haha.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  17. magicrectangle

You can't bring a follower to Diablo.
  18. PhoeniX Skye

Hahaha wow I've been farming so long that I didn't even remember that.............

19. Deced

Deced IncGamers Member

Hmmm, I've never really bothered to check my character screen during the Diablo fight, but Powered Armor on Enchantress generally lasts a long time, and doesn't wear off even when she dies. There's a fair chance having her with you when you enter the arena will allow you to keep the defense buff even after she gets trapped. Something I guess I'll check tomorrow.

[EDIT: Nevermind, Powered Armor definitely wears off quickly into the Diablo fight]

Since the massive difficulty nerf of 1.0.3 I've dropped Blizzard entirely and don't miss it at all even in Act 4. I originally planned to use the Scoundel Multi-Shot Cold Bow trick for snares until I did a run and completely forgot to bring a follower at all. Realized my runs didn't even seem effected by the lack of slow.

For anyone curious, 1.0.3 seems to have heavily nerfed Diablo himself as well. His grab used to drop me to low enough that I couldn't see red in my globe and standing in his exploding fireball was death. Now the grab does roughly 40% health, and I can stand in the exploding fireball with Diamond Skin and not even care. Maybe it's the switch to Prismatic though, since both those moves deal many small hits rapidly. Either way, I used to pay attention heavily during an Inferno Diablo fight and now keeping focus is the biggest danger of the fight.
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  20. magicrectangle

As far as I can tell nothing at all has changed in the Diablo fight.