Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Inferno and hardcore mode

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by megacoffee, Apr 10, 2012. | Replies: 48 | Views: 3653

1. megacoffee

megacoffee IncGamers Member

Inferno and hardcore mode

Seems to me that they have tuned inferno to be so over the top that random deaths will be unavoidable even if you build the perfect defensive character, so that when players have geared up a bit the game will still remain challenging. But won't that make hc impossibly difficult when you first start out in inferno?
  2. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

Re: Inferno and hardcore mode

It's tough to say without actually playing it. I would hope that a well built character would at least have the opportunity for a tactical retreat if they realized an enemy was out of their league. The prudent measure would be to farm for upgrades in Act IV hell for a while before moving on.

Wasn't it mentioned somewhere (or implied) that Act IV hell -> Act I inferno was a smooth difficulty instead of a sudden spike? That should help players get an idea if they are ready to move forward.
  3. cozmiccc

cozmiccc IncGamers Member

I think that's the reason why every class have at least one escape 'oh ****!' skill (spirit walk, sprint, smoke bomb, teleport, serenity, etc.) and some more fragile one have more, and that's beyond the defensive skills that every class also receive several of.

Played right without reckless charging I suppose there's always tactical option to retreat, Bashiok also had said that they want to move away from cheap one-shot death unless you're severely under-geared. So I'll hazard a guess that most players death will be their own fault :p
  4. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

I will hazard another guess that many players who die will firmly believe they were not at fault. :D

5. cozmiccc

cozmiccc IncGamers Member

True, they'll blame lag spike even if moment ago they just charged that champion pack while under half health, "I mean, I could have pressed earthquake on time and they'll all have died!!!!!!!" :p

6. pwt

pwt IncGamers Member

The majority of the very few non lag deaths of dececnt hc players I've seen over so many years playing d2hc happened when a tuff pack, was placed after a loading zone (cow level red portal, stairs to throne of baal map,...) I really hope that blizzard implements something like making you inmune until you start moving, so at least you can click the portal/stairs back if there are 20 cow-like mobs trying to instantly kill you, or you simply decide that you want to reroll another combo of mobs for that level in a new game, since you dont have too much room to kite in the begining of a new level...

Let's see how they will do this.
  7. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

Well the thing with hardcore is, inferno will need to be beatable without ever dying otherwise hardcore is worthless. Now that statement does not apply to all, in fact I would be fine if a very very small % of players could do it
  8. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes IncGamers Member

Indeed. If a potential god-like player (as in skilled) cant complete the game without dying then Blizzard failed at balancing it. Which is true for SC mode as well for that matter. Death should never be random.
  9. Wildmoon

Wildmoon IncGamers Member

HC character will have to farm much longer than SC character to enter inferno if the don't want to die but that's part of HC's challenge.
  10. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

I think they already did implement something like this. When using waypoints I noticed, that my character never appeared at the destination until the client actually finished loading the area, no matter how long it took. I strained my HDD once just to make sure. I assume stairs and other portals work the same way.

11. SirAdis

SirAdis IncGamers Member

You have much more hp in D3 so that you won't get 1 shotted, it's much easier to tune the difficulty if you have more hp, my guess is that they're trying to make it so that when you do die, it's only your fault rather than a random affix combo that kills you before you blink.
  12. megacoffee

megacoffee IncGamers Member

I'm basing my concerns on this video.
  13. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

exactly. it seems every time i say that eventually i should be able to beat inferno without ever dying people get upset. a skilled gamer with proper gear should not die. learn the game, understand the systems, equip yourself, never die

14. redrach

redrach IncGamers Member

A lot of the "difficulty" appears to be from random affixes spawning on monsters. Considering the sheer range of monsters and affixes, I'm sure that many deaths are going to be unavoidable and rage-inducing.
    Good thing I never play Hardcore. :D
  15. djxput

djxput IncGamers Member

Im really looking forward to playing inferno with my HC toon - I am a bit concerned about dying due to lag or computer glitches ... but if those dont occure then I cant wait to experience diablo in the 4 difficulties in HC play!

16. Bad Ash

Bad Ash IncGamers Site Pal

I think its going to be a double edged sword. Insanely exhilarating and frustrating at the same time.

I would be lieing if I said I did not have my concerns as well, but I can't wait to tackle the challenge
  17. yovargas

yovargas IncGamers Member

By "people" do you mean me? ;) I don't get upset, I just think your expectations of what HC should be are clouded by D2's brokenness. Personally, I expect getting out of Hell in HC will be an extremely rare feat. As it should be.

18. ShadoutMapes

It's fine if it is a rare feat. It isnt okay if it is a random feat.
    People running 100 meters in less than 10 seconds are kinda rare. So is winning 100 million in a lottery.
    Very much not the same kind of rareness though.

19. mr punk

mr punk IncGamers Member

blizz should get an award for PR (not game design) given the number of inferno difficulty related threads over a modern game with usual mainstream tendencies.
  20. ShadoutMapes

Hehe yeah. I still bet a lot of people will be greatly disappointed by the difficulty.