Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Increased Critical hit Damage

Discussion in 'Wizard' started by limitedwhole, Jan 17, 2013. | Replies: 6 | Views: 4460

1. limitedwhole

limitedwhole IncGamers Member

Hey I came across a post that said that increased CCDamage was max as follows

100% Weapon
    100% Emerald in weapon
    65% Amulet
    34% Rings
    12% Belt
    50% Gloves

This is really weird. Is the game still this way? Putting the entirety of increased critical hit damage on weapon basically makes all other weapons worthless. I mean anything that doesn't have hit critical hit damage and an open socket is esentially worthless right? I did the math and even flat increases like 25% more fire damage do not even remotely compare even with stacked with off-weapon increased critical hit damage. This is weird as it amkes the wands all worthless. Fragment of destony has no critical and no open socket and stork's madness can roll a socket and has increased but is basically a bad axe right?

VEry weirded out by the diablo 3 items and affix structure. It seems terrible. MF and GF are good while playing but any item with these mods is basically useless endgame. (Why ruin promise of glory?) All the unique weapons seem trash as they don't have critical damage increase and sockets. There is only one shoulder (Due to no strength requirements). IAS taking the place of IAS and fastcast basically makes all the gear structures the same. This games items seem pretty bad compared to diablo 2. Just in helms in diablo 2, you had as options for a sorceress, shako, griffon's, ice helm (forgot name), dream, delirium, rare 2/20/2, plus Lore, Tarnhelm, Pcrown, rares for starters etc. There just seem to be no good items. The lack of item restrictions means anyone can where the heaviest plate. Does anyone else feel this badly about the items? I was thinking about maybe taking up the game, but the items are terrible and item finding is basically the whole game. I mean having something like witching hour be the only good belt for a wizard seems fine. There are always a few slots with best in slot items, but there seems to be no variety in any slot and making magic find and gold find useless endgame only made matters worse.
  2. Speedster

Speedster IncGamers Member

D3 itemization is much more complicated - D2 was just +skills and Enigma for every class other than sorceress.

Sloraks wand is very useful, so not sure what you mean about it being worthless. Also not sure what you mean by 'no good items' - the Witching Hour belt is massively good; Tals armor has great mods, as do Lacuni Prowlers. Unlike D2, where only uniques and rune word items were used, D3 allows for some great rares - amulets, especially.

Maybe you're new, but play a bit. I played D2 for 8 years, but I think D3 is a solid step up. Just takes more time to learn, and the infinite variation in gear is a change from the handful of items everyone used in D2.
  3. limitedwhole

limitedwhole IncGamers Member

Ya, I'm not playing this game. Enigma sucked BTW, it was only good for teleporting to bosses which was a terrible way to accumulate wealth. Killing mobs and popping chests with 8 players was much more effective. Only good on Hammerdin and Necro. Diablo 2 had craploads of good rares. Not sure what you are talking about. My multishot Zon used zero runewords, 4 uniques, 4 rares, and 8 rare jewels, plus charms. Rare and crafted belts, boots, gloves, rings, and amulets, circlets were all commonly in use. And thats with way fewer item slots than D3. Runewords were rarely the best items, just easily made with duped runes. Uniques were only good when they offered affixes unattainable through rares (-lightning resist, high PDR, cast static field on hit, 35% damage reduction, etc.) Lacuni's on every character because it has IAS does not lead to lots of rares being used. So much for the goldfind and magic find affix on rares. Diablo 3's loot sucks hard. Definately not playing this game after reading up on it. The homogenization of mechanics led to direct homogenization of loot. This game is unfixable without a major affixes overhaul.
  4. Speedster

Boss runs were almost all that happened in public games, and for individual MFing. Every third game had "Baal" in the game name. Enigma and CoH were almost universally used when characters got to the necessary level, because D2 was entirely about teleporting to bosses, cleaning them out and then repeating; Harelquin Crest shakos were everywhere; Heart of the Oak was almost universally used because Blizzard made the mistake of making new runewords stupidly far better than any other items. For sorcs, Nightwing's was for cold; Griff's for lightning and shakos for anything else (Meteor-Orb). High level sorcs used HoTO (probably 90 percent) or maybe a perfect Eschutas.

You could accumulate rares day and night, but almost none of them were used or worth anything in trade. D3 also coughs up a lot of junk, but the interesting part is there could always be something better than whatever you currently have in a slot. I.e., you're not stuck using the identical items.

If you're not playing the game, then it's hard to compare. I've probably got 700+ hours in a wizard at this point, and she's on her third build in terms of major skill realignments. Her gear improves slowly now, but I have a couple of items on my wish list. The big improvements have largely come from tweaking skills/passives, and better tactics in engaging packs. Still doing the item hunt, but as she gets better gear it gets harder to make her much better. D2 was good at the time, but I prefer the D3 itemization and the ability to experiment with different builds without having to start at level 1 each time and get people to rush me through Normal/Nightmare.
  5. Vooodu

Vooodu Banned

Im gonna have to disagree. I think its the other way around.

D3 is so simple with itemization that the OP pretty much sums it ups. Any peice of gear that can have any crit stat needs to have crit stat or its useless. D3 is all about crit. And since CRIT is the stat everyone wants crit gear is worth large.

In D2 it was all about +skills. Some where +all skills and other where + specific skills. This would mean everyone would be searching for different gear to buff skills needed instead of focusing on CRIT only. Alot Crit and a high damage weapon in D3 is all you need. Simple as that really.

Also, D2 was different for the simple fact not all skills would work off weapon damage. Necros would go for +skills, cast rate and a wand/wiz spike for example. Weapon damage didn't matter at all.

Also, in D2s prime....There where no pointless enigmas. I think enigmas ruined D3. Even tho it came out years later to give an old game a new feel. Watching everyone teleport made the game dull. For me anyways...
  6. Speedster

I agree that Enigmas ruined D2. The entire game was a mess of map hacks and teleporting. Getting rid of that is one of the biggest improvements of D3. Plus shared stash and the AH to replace endless WUG/WUW trade games.

On the items, yes -- it was all about +skills, cast rate, resists, etc. In D3, subtract +skills, add weapon damage and crit chance/dmg and prime ability stats. It ain't night and day different. Cast rate, attack speed... IMHO, +1 skills was stupidly simple and inflexible. If an item lacked it, ultimately it became worthless in the endgame. People packed as many skills grand charms as possible, to the point where they couldn't pick up anything larger than a potion and had to wait for others to use a tp scroll. D3 uses weapon damage, and it frees up all other slots for other modifiers -- more choice.

In D2, you either played a hammerdin with the standard gear, or you opted to be a weaker character class, but in 5-10 minutes you could pull up a build guide on diabloii.net and know exactly what gear was best.
  7. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

That's incorrect. The correct totals are, I think, more like this:
    100% Each Weapon
    100% Each Emerald
    100% Amulet
    50% Each ring
    50% Belt (The Witching Hour only)
    50% Gloves
    50% from the Endless Path set bonus.
    I might or might not be missing some mods that are on low-level legendaries

I disagree that D3's itemization is that much worse than D2; they both have their own problems, even in their respective latest patches. I'm not really interested in debating it for the 2038th time though, so I'll leave it at that.