Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Important Monk Spirit Gen Attack Speed Modification Info i

Discussion in 'Monk' started by Wolfpaq777, Apr 16, 2012. | Replies: 32 | Views: 5709

1. Wolfpaq777

Wolfpaq777 Well-Known Member

Important Monk Spirit Gen Attack Speed Modification Info

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4427706988

Summary: Spirit generators apply a modifier to your attack speed when using them, which distinguishes them from every other attack in the game which simply uses attack speed to determine cast speed.

Here are the modifiers known so far:

Fists of Thunder
    1st Strike: 1.45
    2nd Strike: 1.45
    3rd Strike: 1.3

Average: 1.4

Deadly Reach
    1st Strike: 1.45
    2nd Strike: 1.45
    3rd Strike: 0.9

Average: 1.26

Crippling Wave
    1st Strike: 1.2
    2nd Strike: 1.2
    3rd Strike: 1

Average: 1.13

For more info including how these numbers were calculated feel free to read the thread. My experience in beta leads me to believe these numbers are accurate despite not having gone into a frame by frame analysis as Apples did.
  2. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

Re: Important Monk Spirit Gen Attack Speed Modification Info

Yep, those numbers look about right. It's not just generators though that have a modified attack speeds. According to Superstate, all spenders (at least for the Barb) have an innate 10% APS bonus. Corpse Spiders on the hand have a much lower base attack speed for example, compared to other WD skills.
  3. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

Where can I find more Superstate stuff? It sounds like I should be reading this :p.
  4. Wolfpaq777

Interesting, I concur with z00t is there a place I can read about these innate bonus/fixed attacks for barbs? Sounds like a must read.

As far as WD goes, even though corpse spider attack speed isn't related to attack speed, the rate at which you can bring out corpse spiders is so it's a moot point. However I would be interested to know if there's anyway you can increase the other pets attack speed such as zombie dogs, gargantuan, & the wizard's hydra since they can't exactly be spammed like corpse spiders are. I suppose we'll figure out the mechanics of those skills once the game is live =)

5. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy IncGamers Member

My favorite combo in the beta is to use Fist of Thunder for the first two hits then Crippling Wave for the 3rd hit. Once you get the timing down it is very effective.
  6. yovargas

yovargas IncGamers Member

Very interesting. I had figured FoT was always faster than DR but if it's only the third strike, FoT seems much less useful. The first two strikes are just like DR minus the AoE. :|
  7. Chaboi

Chaboi IncGamers Member

Yea, people are all over FoT but it remains the weakest (as far as damage output) of the spirit generators.
  8. Such Violent Storms

Such Violent Storms IncGamers Member

Any word on Way of the Hundred Fists?
  9. Chaboi

Chaboi IncGamers Member

Unfortunately no testing can occur because it isn't available in the beta. If I were a betting man, I'd say it would be in he 1.45 range, in line with FoT because of its single target nature.
  10. Wolfpaq777

FoT is by far the strongest single target spirit generator we have so far, a full 14% faster than deadly reach and 27% faster than crippling wave. That translates directly to a 14% and 27% dps increase. How exactly do you figure it is the weakest?

11. Such Violent Storms

Such Violent Storms IncGamers Member

I think because both CW and DR can strike many more enemies in one usage than FOT can. In addition, depending on how high you can get your crit chance, Blazing Fist-runed WotHF could beat FOT for speed, and in general I think WotHF would beast FOT for single-target damage.

You also have to take into consideration combining generators, such as 2 strikes with Mangle-runed CW and a third strike from Windforce Flurry-runed WotHF for high, multiple-enemy-hitting damage.

12. Glowyrm

Glowyrm IncGamers Member

I don't know if I agree with that.

The 3rd hit of FoT is faster than your current APS where as the 3rd hit of DR is actually slower than you normally attack.

Over time, that difference in speed will add up. That means that if you want to generate more spirit, FoT has a big advantage there, which is the main point of the skill anyway. Also, Deadly Reach probably kills more monsters per hit, meaning you have less targets to generate on.

I think WotHF is actually slower than the other generators. The last 3rd hit especially, since it's actually a bunch of smaller hits (7 hits for 20% damage each).

If anything, I can see it having similar DPS to FoT but generating less Spirit because it will have less hits on an enemy (it's slower but more damage, same DPS, less hits).

So WotHF isn't better than FoT at single-target damage, it's just different. Instead of being great for generating Spirit like FoT, it fills the niche of a skill that can proc "on hit" and "on crit" abilities often since it actually has 9 total "ticks" of damage in one full combo cycle (although it counts as only 3 hits for Spirit generating).

This is assuming that WotHF has a slower modifier than the other generators, which would make sense given it's higher damage.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  13. Wolfpaq777

Because generators CW and DR can hit more targets than FoT, FoT is weaker? No, definitely not. Single target damage is very important, not to mention the drastic increase in spirit generation from FoT. You realize that our heaviest AoE damage comes from spirit spenders right? In addition to giving us a 14% more damage it's also giving us 14% more spirit (than DR, those numbers skyrocket to 27% for CW. No idea what it is for WotHF).

I'm going to ignore everything you said about WotHF because it's an unknown. "If" our crit can get high enough. "Could" beat FoT for speed. "Might" beat FoT for single target. Sure it might and it might not. However right now, of the 3 spirit generators that we have hard data on, FoT is the strongest for single target and spirit generating purposes. Seeing as the purpose of a generator is to generate spirit, I'd hardly call it the "weakest". I'm not saying it's by far the best all give it glory, but it is certainly stronger than DR and CW based on what we've seen so far of the game. Calling it "the weakest" is downright ignorant. Could future runes change things up? Certainly. We haven't tried the vast majority of skill runes so the fact is we have no idea which generator will be the strongest or the weakest. Edit: One would hope that each generator will have its niche to fill and *none* of them will be the weakest. Or at least, that's what I hope.

Also don't underestimate the teleport component of thunderclap. Being able to rapidly close gaps is a big part of dps for melee classes.

14. HardRock

It's good to see that many people here are interested in every little detail of the combat system, just like myself. Here's Superstate's post that I was talking about: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/...-swings-work&p=8266168&highlight=#post8266168

Well, I can only tell you that the attack speed of ZD's doesn't increase with our own APS, but their damage does. Basically their damage is our DPS * 0.09. Gargantuan most likely works the same way and probably Hydra does too.

If you compare it to AoE generators, then that's true. However, the main selling point of FoT (with any rune option) is its ability to generate Spirit crazy fast. It's single target DPS is nothing to scoff at either.

15. yovargas

yovargas IncGamers Member

My point was that - rune effects aside - there is no point in doing Fot-Fot-CW. You should stick with DR-DR-CW as it's the same speed/dmg and has more AoE.
  16. HardRock

I'm not so sure about the results Apples got about Deadly Reach. It's noticeably slower than Fists of Lightning. On the 4th page of the thread HolyRedBull's results differ, so Apples may have got some numbers wrong. I'll do my own tests tonight.
  17. Valkemen

Valkemen IncGamers Member

I think that you are talking about an old discovery known since December.

Take a look:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3811455189

Test results are almost the same, but methodology different:

Crippling Wave - about 15% faster than normal attack
    Deadly Reach - about 35% faster than normal attack
    Fists of Thunder - about 55% faster than normal attack

Why Monk has different speeds?

I think that there are two major reasons:

Damage
    The second and third hit of Crippling Wave and Deadly Reach, can hit several enemies at once. Fist of Thunder can be AoE only in the third phase. That's why FoT is the fastest. Ofc, we are talking about unruned versions.

Spirit
    Quickening, Strike from Beyond and Rising Tide can produce more Spirit from critical hits (15, 10, 5). More targets to get a critical chance, less Spirit regenerated.

Different speeds and different volumes of regenerated Spirit of three tested skills mean that all of them are equal in making dmg/Spirit per second and monk can choose them without penalize himself, to play own most liked style.
  18. Torr

Torr IncGamers Member

Since none of us will be using these skills unruned, the only way to truly compare damage is to compare all of the skill rune effects and relative area of effect, with the attack speed multipliers applied to them. There are also subjective effects like what Wolfpaq said about Thunderclap teleporting speeding up your attack rate (reducing the need to close), and the effect of spirit gaining runes (which can also be considered a damage gain in a sense if the spirit from them is then used for another attack like 7SS).

The amount of variables and subjective "best guesses" is more work then I have time to do, so I would just say that I think inherent APS multiples in generators does not equal damage. They are just another variable to plug into the equation.
  19. Wolfpaq777

I have to say one of my favorite things to do is to lashing tail kick something away from me and then immediately be on top of them spamming FoT.

Got my beta monk up to 2.27 listed attack speed unbuffed and it is ridiculous. Most fun I've had in beta by far.

I'm disappointed that our fist weapons are slower than daggers. WTF bliz!

20. HardRock

I don't want to start an APS race here, but if you enjoy ridiculous attack speeds you should try to find two Balanced hand crossbows and a Frenzied shrine for your DH. I reached 2.78 APS this way. Rapid Fire is a thing of beauty with an attack speed like that. :)