Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Imperius - Grayscale Preview

Discussion in 'Fan Creations: Art, Music, Wallpapers, Fiction' started by Nizaris, Apr 24, 2012. | Replies: 7 | Views: 3439

1. Nizaris

Nizaris Clan Officer - US West Hardcore

Imperius - Grayscale Preview

Hi everybody,

Most know me as an article writer, but I also do concept work elsewhere (along with my day job and all that). I've been asked frequently to do Imperius, so I figured I'd have a go at it. This piece is incomplete, but it's a grayscale preview before I color it and complete the detail.

The inspiration came from a fusion of Imperius artworks along with Brom's Tyrael. I wanted this piece to complement his Tyrael in pose.

UPDATED!!!!!
    http://equipixel.deviantart.com/#/d4xhw66

The link is to my non-professional DeviantArt account that has a lot of my unfinished works that I tend to post here and there. If you thumb through my art, you'll see pieces that span back across 4 or so years, so you'll see wide variation in completion and quality.

But anways, hope you enjoy it.
    EDITS: Image below reflects my first round of edits/adjustments.

For those of you who don't want to click the link for whatever reason, here's the image:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  2. Snerra

Snerra IncGamers Member

Re: Imperius - Grayscale Preview

There certainly are a lot of artists on these boards! Who'd have thought - Really cool.

The link to your deviantart page is broken (Edit: Scratch that, seems to work now). I think that is a fantastic drawing, though. Very awesome with all those small details, borders, patterns...

I do think that the proportions got lost a little behind all the armour. Since you posted a preview, I hope you do not mind a bit of critique while working towards the final. I did a little paintover to show how you might change the proportions and a few other things.

- I would suggest darkening him uniformly, then popping out some highlights. It will be hard to add colour on top of the values you have right now (I think, but your process may well be different from mine!). They are either very dark or very light, with very little middleground to show local colour.

- About the proportions, I think the main problem is his very small torso and big head. He also has very little neck. I think his pauldrons could be rotated out a bit more, to enhance the silhouette. His forearms are rather thin compared to the art we have of Imperius.

- I would show his halo in perspective, for the sake of clarity.

- Imperius' helmet sure has a confusing design. I like yours better than what I ended up with, but I do think it's a bit wide.

I look forward to seeing the final!

View attachment 1466

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  3. Nizaris

Thanks for the critique!

Yes, proportions and retooling it would be my next step before finalizing and painting! I'll be working towards making a bit more realistic in proportions. :)

I drew a lot of the segments separately on different layers so I could play around with orientation of limbs, so the cobbled-together nature of it needs some re-proportioning.

I'll be making adjustments soon and I'll post an update!

Thanks for your comment!

4. skien

skien IncGamers Member

The details are fantastic! His armour looks incredible. The mirror effect makes it look to uniform, it's like there are two light sources hitting it perfectly which makes it look more like a logo than a piece of concept art. Also the hands seem to mix in with the breast plate, I actually thought he had clenched fists at first glance and that the fingers were chest details. Personally I'd remedy this by darkening the chest plate around the centre and adding some stark highlights to the hands to make them pop out. Bringing the hands further forward should make the arms appear to be sitting out because at the moment they feel like they're pointing inwards, like he's cocking his elbows forward.

Really cool design, love the details, really look forward to the finished piece.

5. Nizaris

Thanks for the reply and critique! The nuance and asymmetry will certainly be coming in my next draft. I haven't come back to this in a few days :). My plans are to have it much more battle-worn, with a fiery color palette. The shadows will be certainly getting a make-over (since it's mirrored currently)

So! The next draft will currently be focusing on the following:
    -Shadow
    -Proportion
    -Highlight
    -Asymmetry

I posted the work before I had really got down to the nitty gritty, so I'll hopefully get a second progress draft up by this weekend! :)

The size of the canvas is enormous, so I intend it to be printable quality with full detail at a great size if anybody is interested in a copy of it when it's completed.

6. Holyknight3000

Holyknight3000 D3 Fan Creations Forum Moderator

I did not know you were EP from deviantART. The world is such a small place my friend. I can't wait to see the final piece.

7. Nizaris

Yep! that would be me. I've kept it rather quiet, as it's a very unprofessional account, which is why you see the majority of my tossed-aside, unfinished work posted there. (along with the odd commission here and there).

I've launched a new account, but I've yet to post any completed pictures yet. (The completed Imperius will be there, for instance, but the preview is on EP)

I've also updated my post to reflect my first round of edits. I didn't get to do much today on this particular image, but you can see some pretty significant changes.

On my to-do:
    -Readjust the feet
    -Re-shade and finalize the feet
    -Complete shadow readjustments
    -Add highlights for correct depth

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  8. Nizaris

Last edited: May 10, 2012