Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

If you could make one passive a permanent DH trait

Discussion in 'Demon Hunter' started by Vanadin, Feb 25, 2013. | Replies: 8 | Views: 6703

?

Which passive would you make an innate DH trait?

1. Sharpshooter

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Archery

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Vengeance

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. Steady Aim

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. Nightstalker

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  6. Other

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. Vanadin

Vanadin IncGamers Member

Over on battle.net, a blue post noted that the developers had kicked around this notion:

Posted by Lylirra
    The most commonly proposed solution is to simply bake One With Everything directly into the Monk's class. In essence, give the passive away for free. This has a few issues. We don't currently bake a mechanic like this into other classes, so it would be something that’d need to be explained to new players or otherwise exist as a hidden bonus. It also represents a big boost to one class that's inequitable with the other classes.

Let's say Bliz decided to do this for each class. Which passive would you propose making an innate part of the DH?

http://www.diablowiki.net/Demon_Hunter_passives

[TABLE="class: skillUsage passive"]
    [TH="class: headerHeader addTextShadow, colspan: 3"]Passive Skills for Demon Hunter in Softcore[/TH] Pos Skill Percent 1 [TD="class: left"]Archery(Passive)[/TD] 84.92% 2 [TD="class: left"]Steady Aim(Passive)[/TD] 50.66% 3 [TD="class: left"]Perfectionist(Passive)[/TD] 32.32% 4 [TD="class: left"]Tactical Advantage(Passive)[/TD] 32.06% 5 [TD="class: left"]Sharpshooter(Passive)[/TD] 29.52% 6 [TD="class: left"]Vengeance(Passive)[/TD] 25.10% 7 [TD="class: left"]Night Stalker(Passive)[/TD] 22.07% 8 [TD="class: left"]Custom Engineering(Passive)[/TD] 5.69% 9 [TD="class: left"]Hot Pursuit(Passive)[/TD] 3.28% 10 [TD="class: left"]Cull the Weak(Passive)[/TD] 3.22% 11 [TD="class: left"]Brooding(Passive)[/TD] 3.20% 12 [TD="class: left"]Numbing Traps(Passive)[/TD] 2.33% 13 [TD="class: left"]Grenadier(Passive)[/TD] 2.21% 14 [TD="class: left"]Ballistics(Passive)[/TD] 2.07% 15 [TD="class: left"]Thrill of the Hunt(Passive)[/TD] 1.16% [/TABLE]

Similar threads are now running for all five classes: Barbarian Passives, Monk Passives, Wizard Passives, Witch Doctor Passives.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2013
  2. NightCraweler

NightCraweler IncGamers Member

I would choose perfectionist.

3. 0blique

0blique IncGamers Member

I'd go for tactical advantage. The increased mobility seems something that fits with the design of the class.

4. Otarin

Otarin IncGamers Member

Well, the intent of embedding OWE with the monk is to eliminate a passive that is used on (virtually) every monk as a required skill. The only one I can think of for the DH that would be close to that would be Archery.

5. Flux

Flux Administrator

That was my first thought upon reading the title, before I saw that it wasn't even one of the vote options. I don't think it would exactly work, not when part of Perfectionist is 10% reduction in Discipline costs, (how would that be displayed? Would they just lower all discipline costs by 10% on their display?) But it's the only real defensive boosting passive for the DH, and if people don't remember, Perfection was just discipline reduction initially. The res/hps boosts were added in a patch.

http://www.diablo3ladders.com/skills/mostused/demon-hunter#softcore
    If you look at the ones that are actually used, there are 7 DH passives with 22% or more usage rate, and the other 8 are all below 5%. So on a more game dev level of thinking.... do you want to take out a passive that everyone feels they have to use to allow more variety? Or do you want to "bake in" a passive no one uses to boost the class in some way?

Considering the 2nd approach, and the unused passives... how about Hot Pursuit? I've never used it or considered using it, but 15% run speed boost would be awesome (with full Hatred). That would pair very well with Vengeance, so you'd kill the pack, dash through their ashes and refill your hatred from the orbs, and get a huge speed boost to rush to the next group. Or you could use it defensively, perhaps pairing with Preparation: Punishment; you wouldn't need Vault so often if you had 15% run speed available.

That said, I can't talk myself into putting Hot Pursuit into one of the 3 passive slots, but if it existed as an inherent DH ability (maybe over 90% Hatred, instead of 100%?) it would open up some new/different/varied play options.

To OT my own post, if there's a DH passive that needs adjustment I vote for Archery. The most popular, but the boost to xbows (50% CD) is too big, compared to the other bonuses. I hate using Manticore; so slow and it puts such an added value on AS gear -- but it's almost mandatory for high end DHs both since the item is awesome, and since you get that huge 50% CD from Archery. I'd love to use a bow for the faster firing rate which would also let me diversity from AS on all my other gear, but it's such a DPS loss when paired with archery that I can't justify the trade off. So imagine if Archery only added 25% CD for xbows, or to avoid a nerf if it improved to 25 or 30% bow damage boost (or included like 10% AS bonus as well?)... windforces would be viable top end gear again? And hand xbows got maybe 10% damage + 10% CC from Archery?

6. Zarghan

Zarghan IncGamers Member

I'd like to see Brooding or Hot Pursuit baked in. Blizzard say they don't bake in things but melee classes got the 30% dmg mitigation built in. In that spirit maybe ranged classes should get a 30-50% reduction in frozen/stun etc times rather than a passive baked in. This also means they don;t have to come up with another passive to fill the gap.

7. Flux

Flux Administrator

I like your fanfic idea for Steady Aim. Not necessarily that skill, but a passive that increases your damage as you stand still. I think it should count up, like 10% per second or whatever, to some awesome max, like 300%. Sure, you'd almost never stand still with things in range for that long, since they'd all be dead, but it would create some interesting play styles.

You'd want defense and hps to survive standing still, would certainly pair it with Gloom and the one Caltrops that boosts your damage if you're in range of the trap. But imagine using it with Rapid Fire, which isn't much used now since you've got to stand still while streaming it out. Basically you'd be a death turret, which isn't what many DH players want, but this would give the option to those who do -- which is what at least some of the passives should do, IMHO.

8. sneakytails

sneakytails IncGamers Member

Right now my DH has a sword and a shield. I rebalanced my skills and its the most fun I have had since the game came out. I have not touched or missed by bow and bow skills a bit.

Just ran most of act 3 with a good crew and it was a blast. My gear needs a lot of tweaking for this mild tanking but more options would be very nice.I just wish I had more choices in gear and skills.

Right now I am using Grenadier as one of my passives, its kind of weak really. I wish it did more for my play style. The big bomb that drops on death always seems to miss most of the time.

Numbing traps is sweet for the Damage reduction, combined with the guardian turrets it really makes a difference.

Still my DH has problems esp at higher MP levels.

All I have to say is I hope what I am using right now does not get the axe because blizzard is shocked my DH uses a sword and wants to put a stop it.

This franchise is supposed to be about tinkering and tweaking not running the same old.

My fingers crossed I guess, I still have my life jacket (D2). If my build gets hammered I am really done with this game, right now its the only thing keeping me in the game.

9. Katniss

Katniss IncGamers Member

I'd like to put a vote in for Perfectionist as well and a secondary vote for Hot Pursuit. I think if you bake in Perfectionist, you just lower the cost of all Discipline skills to reflect the 10% reduction. Hot Pursuit seems to make sense from the lore/traditional thinking of a Demon Hunter.

Ivan, nice work with your list. Some of them seem pretty strong and definitely can enable some different ways of playing the DH.