Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

idkfa - my bowazons journey [HC, p8, untwinked, single-pass]

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by smp, Feb 20, 2013. | Replies: 36 | Views: 4560

1. smp

smp IncGamers Member

INTRO

Hello! Just recently started playing this awesome game again and decided i need something, that would provide some real challenge, something exciting, This is what i wanted to do:

- go hardcore;
    - go untwinked (use just the items, runes etc. that i will find/shop/gamble on my way);
    - go single-pass (not going back to the areas that i have already cleared), complete all the quests and explore all sub-areas (like pits, crypt, drifter cavern, etc.) ;
    - make it on /players 8
    - no esc key to avoid death

Choosing the hero was really difficult, as i have played many most common hardcore builds for many many times. I thought, bowazon maybe? Yeah, why not? I have really very little experience with bowazons. That’s one thing that i liked. Right now i just have the basic picture in my head what skills i will use, how i’ll spend my stat points, etc. Most things i’ll decide later, with the progress in the game. Decided not to waste any time and start the journey, that i wanted to share with you. Hopefully, it will come to idkfa (my bowazons name) becoming a guardian, rather then her death! Right now i just finished act 2. Here, in this thread i’ll be posting my progress, with some pictures too, it’s my first time doing something like this so i hope everything will be fine. My English is a bit broken, sorry, but hopefully you’ll be able to understand what i write. :D

Act 1&2 Normal

First things first - /players 8 and here we go. Grabbed my javelins and went on to kill every damn monster there was. Easily completed Den of Evil quest, and even got my first rare drop – a glorious short bow! Bow as a first rare drop, a good sign maybe?
    [​IMG]

Getting rid of Blood Raven was not that easy, took a good few minutes to do that. Bought and socketed long bow with 3 chipped gems, also got merc to fight along my side. Slowly, but without much problem progressed to the forgotten tower, where Countess dropped me a tal rune. Also found my first set item:
    [​IMG]

Act 1, was really slow, i cleared all the areas, killed probably 99.9% of monsters there was and finally got to the catacombs, where i got my first little scare. Ran in to small room full with dark ones, and 3 or 4 champion shamans that were shooting fire at me and my merc. Got surrounded real quick, lost about 70% of my health, but managed to find a way to run out of there, couple rejuvenation pots were needed. Cleared every single corner on all of catacombs levels and finally reached Andariel. There was no use of merc as she died in about 5 seconds and my damage was low, so the battle took some time. With low damage and even lower mana had to retreat back to town for a few times, but Andy was chasing shadows all that time, never got close to me and i was never in danger. Here’s what she managed to drop:
    [​IMG]

So i reached level 20, and was really happy to leave act 1 and get into the desert. Here are my stats and skill trees after finishing act 1:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the start of act 2 i hired a new merc, finally will have someone to tank a bit. Gambled him a decent weapon, also a plated belt for more slots, helm and boots with some resistances. After killing Radament i had full stash and inventory of gems. Good thing that the cube is near. Cubed better gems, and upgraded my bow with them and tal rune. On my way through the desert managed to get some more runes and made a stealth armor for some good frw that i was dreaming since the start. Somewhere in Halls of Dead first unique item dropped:
    [​IMG]

Meh, could have been better. At level 24 i used 1 skill point in strafe and decoy, alongside ice arrow it made life little more easy. Act 2 was faster that act 1, and i had no real trouble in it. Merc was doing fine and i only had to help him. Cleaning all the tombs required some patience and time, before taking Duriel on. This battle wasn’t that hard, merc acted like a real tank, couple runs back to town for mana and here it is:
    [​IMG]

So act 2 was finished at level 28 and this is how my stats and skills look like:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To be continued...
  2. Jocular

Jocular IncGamers Member

Woot. Bowazons are the best.

Nice write-up, and surprisingly high damage for a bowa at the end of Act 2. I hope against hope you're able to find a nice bow for Hell...but I've always had such trouble finding good weapons for physical characters when playing single pass.
  3. Jason Maher

Jason Maher IncGamers Member

Welcome to the forums! *kicks shins* :badteeth: In amongst my many projects, I'm also doing a single pass, untwinked HC bowa. For me, Bowas are my favourite characters, so the motivation was to actually make one that was a bit challenging. Hopefully we're both making Guardian threads in a little while.
  4. Twibz

Twibz IncGamers Member

Welcome! *steals wallet*

Always love reading about bowa's and you seem to be progressing well, good luck on your journey, and keep us posted.
  5. SunsetVista

SunsetVista IncGamers Member

Welcome and nice progress so far! Good luck!

This made me look up 'idkfa'. Doom reference or ?
  6. jevgeni

jevgeni IncGamers Member

Welcome to the forums.

At least it isn't iddqd
  7. djmbbandie

djmbbandie IncGamers Member

Welcome to the forums!

*steals wallet

Yep. idkfa and iddqd are doom cheats.

idspispopd.
  8. sebhehe

sebhehe IncGamers Member

Yay! Awesome! Very close to my playstyle!

Welcome and good luck :) Will keep a close eye on this one!
  9. zemaj

zemaj IncGamers Member

idclip was easily the most fun...

Welcome to our little addiction support group! Looks like you'll fit right in.

*steals pants*
    *attaches bunjee cord*

Now you must stay awhile! :badteeth:

Also, Duriel kill & no TP scrolls?! Uninstall mods plz :p
  10. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

Am I the only one not that familiar with doom?

Welcome!
    Also, good luck :)
  11. Jason Maher

I played Wolf3d to death, but never moved on to Spear of Destiny and Doom.
  12. djmbbandie

djmbbandie IncGamers Member

My friend had Wolfenstein 3d. It was fun watching him kill stuff.

Only us old people remember Doom....
  13. Jason Maher

I'm 37, I'm not old...
  14. Twibz

Twibz IncGamers Member

Only 3 years away...
  15. Jason Maher

I'm 32 actually. That was a quote from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
  16. Maltatai

Maltatai IncGamers Member

Hurray, what a good initiative!

Cleglaws pincers in normal act I...if that kind of luck holds you will probably have an upgraded witherstring or buriza before hell :D

But won't idkfa be lonely if she has to play through the game with no other bowazon to banter and joke with?
  17. Jason Maher

There is no better feeling as a Bowazon than scoring a pair of Cleglaw's Pincers early on for an untwinked character. Knockback + slow = good times.
  18. smp

smp IncGamers Member

Thank you for your kind welcome everyone! :D Yes, idkfa is from doom, had a guardian barbarian named iddqd, so needed idkfa too!

Act 3&4 Normal

So the journey continues. Act 3, jungle i love it... not. But this time i kinda enjoyed it, got to level 30 quickly, Valkyrie and freezing arrow made things a little bit faster and easier. Found 3 soc poleaxe and made malice for my merc. Too bad it’s not eth, but thats the best i can get him at this time. And to be fair he’s not complaining too much about it, his damage is quite good, can tank and kill monsters without problem. Valkyrie also took some pressure of him. As for myself, i gambled a rare plated belt and and light plated boots, that boosted my resistances a bit. Also a long war bow with some more damage and a magic circlet with 41 mana. Low mana is the only thing that rally bothers me at this point. All in all act 3 wasn’t much of a problem, it was faster than act 1 or 2. 4 or 5 set items dropped on the way, but none of them was in any use. Councils and Mephisto were dealt with pretty fast, the later decided to drop me nothing:

[​IMG]

So level 32 and act 3 is done. Here are my stats and skills:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Act 4 here i come! What a lovely place it is. No monster was left alive in the process. Izual was hopeless against freezing arrows, Haseen and Valkyrie. The two skill points i got from Tyrael were invested to strengthen Valkyrie, and against Diablo it proved to be a right choice. Before that, this is what i got from hellforge:

[​IMG]

Two perfect saphires went in mechanic’s crown of the mind. With around 160 mana i feel more comfortable now as drinking a potion is no longer needed every two shots. Before facing Diablo my ultra low fire resistance (15) was a little worrying, but everything went just ok. Cleared Chaos Sanctuary fast, and here he is Mr. Diablo himself! Haseen vent down fast after Diablo’s lighting attack, decided not to resurrect him, because that would have been a waste of precious gold. My Valkyrie did her job fine. While Diablo was busy fighting her, i was firing freezing arrows at him like there is no tomorrow. Couple runs back for mana and Diablo is defeated:

[​IMG]

I thank him for my new bow:

[​IMG]

Level 35 and act 5 awaits. My stats and skills:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Act 5 Normal

Well that was an easy one. Got through all the areas very fast, freezing arrow was doing miracles, leaving no one alive. Upgraded Haseen’s malice in a better weapon and got him a Sigon’s plate, yeah Sigon’s plate lol :D Also crafted myself an amulet with some hp, mana, and mana regeneration. Here’s idkfa in action against my favorite guy in the whole game:

[​IMG]

Poor lad had no corpses to explode.

Battling ancients was a bit funny, because no matter what Korlic was always trying to jump on me, and had a bit of running to do. Baal was unexpectedly easy to kill, without a single rush to town. This is what he got me:

[​IMG]

Greedy bastard, but these gauntlets might be useful for now:

[​IMG]

So normal is completed without much trouble and at level 48 here are my stats and skills:

[​IMG]

Before taking on nightmare i’ll try my luck at gambling. Have some gold to spend and maybe will get something for myself or Haseen. Will probably make peace armor, maybe lore too. Right now i have around 50 mf, maybe using some perfect topazes might be a good idea for nightmare? Anyway, here she is:

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  19. Jocular

Jocular IncGamers Member

Nice write-up again. I doubt you'll have much trouble until late NM by using FA, I'm absolutely in love with that skill.

However, psapphires in your helm instead of topazes? I would think you might want more mf for single pass and rely more on mana pots...but that's just me.

Also, that is a beautiful bow. Fast bow base, ias, chance to cause monsters to flee, mana steal, and even pretty nice ed%...you hit the jackpot.

20. felixbavaria

felixbavaria IncGamers Site Pal

Nice going! One of my favorite builds, safe and powerful. Let's hope you are able to make Insight soon (if you play RWM).