Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

idea: reversed lightning/conviction build.

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Xuhao, Aug 3, 2013. | Replies: 8 | Views: 938

1. Xuhao

Xuhao IncGamers Member

Im thinking about a build where one reverses the roles from a traditional java/light sorc build.

The Idea is to get an act 3 lightning merc and play a polearm wielding paladin that breaks imunities like (the wealthy merc does with infinity).

I was thinking about giving the merc the gear often used by these rich lightqueens, like griffons, monarch w 4 facets etc etc..

The build for the paly should probably be a fanatic zealot using infinity w ebotd on swich or simply using ebotd w conviction on swich, but im not really sure...

Think I might try this

Anyone did this before??
    Or any thoughts on how to do it ?

cheers

xuhao
  2. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

Well, I've tried using Act III mercs with my Auradin, running slvl 25 Conviction. If I remember correctly, I gave him all the top gear, but he still didn't manage to make a sizable impact.
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  3. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

Act III mercs can be nice because they tend to stay back and provide supporting elemental damage from a distance, so they don't die a lot. But I try to use them on characters that already have a very high damage output. I think no matter how much support you provide to your iron wolf, he's not going to dish out sufficient damage to be a practical primary damage source.
  4. Xuhao

Xuhao IncGamers Member

Thnks for your replies. appreciate it

and I do c your points, however as I undestand it, a fanatic zealot w an eth botd elite polearm will, all by his lonesome, dish out more physical damage than any other class in the game... (unless someone in his party takes advantage of his lvl 25 +/- fanatism aura, in which case a titan barb will deal more damage)...
    Regardless, my undestanding is that a fully (read very wealthy) geared fanatic 2h zealot will deal enough damage and have overall stats good enough to stay alive and do good, even wout a merc...
    - Havent tried it so i might be wrong, however Ive tried many builds and most of the builds ive tried have one thing in common: If you are very rich itlll work wonderfully!! Few builds work when you are poor (though some do), but when you are rich its different...

But I do like the point of making your merc a primary source of damage, wich is basicly what im trying to achieve (and I really want to use the act 3 merc for something other than mf..)

So I guess Ill just have to do some number grinding on the dmg output of act 3 mercs... im sure they wont be able to deal 150k dmg like a java, but Im hoping that w the right gear they can deal out enough damage to make them valid... Chances are that Im wrong. Noone ever uses act 3 mercs, most likely because they are just not woth it... (sigh)
  5. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

a bit of a tangent, but a dual grief ww barb would be the physical dps highest output, fanat or no fanat
  6. Pyrotechnician

Pyrotechnician IncGamers Site Pal

This isn't really viable, doens't mean you can't do it though....

From the ultimate merc guide:

Lightning:

- Level 17 Charged Bolt: 11.5 damage/bolt, 19 bolts total for 218.5 potential damage/cast. 60% chance to cast this spell.
    - Level 29 Lightning: 258 damage/shot. 30% chance to cast this spell.

Any +skills that you can gear up will obviously help, as well as -light res. But overall even with level 25 conviction running, the damage will be no where close.
  7. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

The problem with fire and lightning mercs are that they use the sorceress spells, but don't have the sorceress masteries. Thus, their damage is much lower. Cold is better ( since it doesn't depend on mastery ) but then, immunes..
  8. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

trang helm and armor for the fball synergy bonus?

[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]Partial Set Bonus
    +18 To Fire Ball (2 Items)*

For fire merc, maybe this would work
    [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
  9. Pyrotechnician

Pyrotechnician IncGamers Site Pal

Since they are considered sorceress skills, the +18 is limited to only +3, nice try though.