Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ice Torch - Wizard PvP/PvE Build

Discussion in 'Wizard' started by Npballer, Mar 5, 2012. | Replies: 4 | Views: 2672

1. Npballer

Npballer IncGamers Member

Ice Torch - Wizard PvP/PvE Build

Hi,

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#cQWYjX!XgW!YYaZZa

This build revolves around a number of spells on cooldowns taking advantage of the Evocation passive. It uses Cold Blood (RoF) for no AP cost to replace the need for any signature spells. The Black Ice and Astral Presence passives tailor to its ice-heavy cannon-like power while its other skills allow room for creative play. I believe it is important to create a build where a skilled player has the potential to separate themselves and rise above competition. Some builds may have restraints on play style due to a limited amount of variation in battle tactics.

1) Ray of Frost (Cold Blood) - Primary skill. Free to cast while allowing AP to regenerate. A single target snare is a great bonus for both PvE and PvP. It seems with Cold Blood, I would not need a signature spell.

2) Meteor (Comet) - Heavy damage AoE, high AP skill. I love the idea of Comet. Before Patch 13, the Crimson Meteor got the pick over Comet for a considerable amount more DPS. However, Comet now is barely weaker (300 vs 325), and also adds a snare effect. This combined with the use of Black Ice gives Comet the pick. This heavy damage spell could of been Blizzard of Arcane Orb, but I chose Comet as the highest single output damage spell of the 3.

SKILLS ON COOLDOWNS:

3) Wave of Force (Impactful Wave) - This spell is somewhat rare in builds I've seen, yet I love the idea of it. A short range AoE blast (I imagine similar radius to Frost Nova) that not only does substantial damage (220%) but also snares, knocks back AND stuns enemies! The 15 second cooldown is reduced to 12.75 seconds with Evocation.

4) Frost Nova (Cold Snap) - IMO, an essential skill for any Battle Mage. I've been going back and forth on a very tough decision between Cold Snap (-25%, -3 seconds cooldown) and Bone Chill (+15% damage done to enemies frozen by FN). Ultimately I decided on Cold Snap. I figure that Frost Nova will be my number one utility skill and having 25% more of them outweighs a small boost in damage dealt. Before Patch 13, I believe Bone Chill gave +30% damage done while frozen which was an easier pick. I did love the idea of setting up big, extra-damage Meteors on Frozen enemies, though it will still be the same minus a bit of damage. The 12 second (9 second with Cold Snap) cooldown is reduced to a mere 7.65 seconds with Evocation.

Frost Nova will be used both offensively and defensively. Offensively, it can be used to set up incoming Meteors and other spells. Defensively, it is the ultimate CC spell able to freeze groups of enemies at a time granting time to re position one's self or teleport to safety.

If a tough melee mob (or Barbarian, Monk) is up on you, a quick Frost Nova is all that's needed to give precious seconds to maneuver. This spell will have great chemistry with both Teleport and Wave of Force. You can teleport into or away from mobs throwing a Frost Nova before or after to set up strikes or dodge incoming attacks.

Between Frost Nova and Wave of Force, there are two different yet similar spells on cooldown to rotate for full effectiveness. I can Frost Nova originally, then later use Wave of Force to snare/knockback/damage/stun any further enemies that are not frozen. By the time both spells are used, typically one will be ready once again. Same idea flipped around using WoF first and FN secondly.
  2. Npballer

Re: Ice Torch - Wizard PvP/PvE Build

Continued: ( http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#cQWYjX!XgW!YYaZZa )

5) Teleport (Wormhole) - If you ask me, the other essential Wizard skill. Teleport is not only nostalgic, but also very effective. It allows the Wizard to have ultimate control able to teleport to any nearby spot without warning. This makes it not only impossible to predict when, but also where as an enemy. This skill alone allows for high skilled play. You may teleport close by and use your short-range AoE skills, or teleport away and use the distance to your advantage. This skill has nice options for runes, but I went with Wormhole to be able to teleport more then once before the cooldown begins. I like the idea of Teleport, Frost Nova, Teleport back + Meteor, or simply just multiple teleports to get away or create lots of space. The 16 second cooldown is reduced to 13.6 seconds with Evocation.

6) Diamond Skin (Crystal Shell) - This 6th slot was a debate between an armor spell, Diamond Skin, and Slow Time. As much as I LOVED Slow Time when I first saw it and see how strong the different runed armor spells are, I went with DS. I really like the idea of Diamond Skin in that it adds yet another spell on cooldown that you can use without a ceiling on skill. I like Crystal Shell simply because it increases the maximum amount of damage absorbed. A 3 second invulnerable is an invaluable tool for a squishy Wizard. It could be used to absorb a heavy incoming ranged attack you see or a melee swarm about to mess you up. It can be used as a "oh !@#$" card when about to die, or popped preemptively when a lot of damage your way is expected. Many uses with this skill on a relatively low cooldown. The 15 second cooldown is reduced to 12.75 seconds with Evocation. Being that is lasts for 3 seconds, it will be up essentially every 10 seconds!

Passives:

Astral Presence: I love this ability, a true passive that compliments the caster class very well. A simple +Max AP and +AP regen.

Evocation: Basis of this build, improves 4/6 skills.

Black Ice: Another core of this build, the true compliment to an ice-wielding wizard.

Analysis:

Having 4 skills with Cooldowns allows variation in strategy and provides many tools for skilled play. Between Frost Nova, Wave of Force, Teleport and Diamond Skin, there is a great amount of utility providing a high level of control. With the Evocation passive, at least one utility skill should be ready to use, if not more, at all times. In the rare times that all 4 skills are used before one cooldown is up, RoF and Comet both provide additional snares.

This build seems to have only two DPS spells in RoF and Comet, but when you throw in Wave of Force it has quite a bit of damage potential while maintaining maximum utility. RoF will be used freely and Comet as the main damage output. Frost Nova frequently in between spells and Wave of Force against nearby enemies every 12.75 seconds for additional damage output and control. This build has multiple snares, stuns etc. (RoF, Comet, WoF, FN). If I run into Ice-immune or heavy resistant enemies, WoF is still physical damage as well as I could swap out Comet with Molten Impact (Fire). When the going gets grimy, all 4 cooldown skills will by my friends. Whether I FN an opposing force, use DS to absorb damage, Teleport in or away, or knock back, stun, damage and snare with WoF.
  3. reflexii

reflexii IncGamers Member

Looks pretty solid, but I must say one thing. The calculator isn't updated on battle.net site when it comes to the Ray of frost runestone, it says it costs 0 arcane power, while in reality it will just lower the cost from 20 to 12. Your regeneration is going to be 10+2(your passive) AP per second, so it's not going to deplete your globe but you ain't going to get any more of it if you don't have items that increase AP regeneration.
  4. Elfik

Elfik IncGamers Member

Yeah, with astral presence, ray of frost will neither deplete nor regenrate AP. This is not a problem for wave of force and teleport which have cooldowns and require only 15-25 AP, but using meteor (comet) will quickly deplete you AP and if you ever hit zero, you won't even be able to cast Ray of Frost right away. Also I don't know how good meteor will be for PvP, but with impactful wave, frost nova, and evocation, you should be able to get it to hit it's target, I guess. The snare from slow time isn't all that much, I see it as being more useful for PvE since it does three different things 1) snares enemies 2) slows projectiles to a crawl 3) increases damage with time warp or strecth time rune selection. But for PvP, slow time seems kind of weak.

One skill that I would try to fit in would be energy armour, but there's no skill that warrants replacement by it, and also the -20 to max AP would definitely hurt this build. If this were PvE only though, I'd consider swapping out teleport for energy armour. Another thing I'd consider, but only for PvE, would be swapping out impactful wave or frost nova for an arcanot, a familiar which grants 2 AP regen/second, and does some nice background damage. That way, using Ray of Frost does regenerate AP, although quite slowly.

Unfortunately, meteor with comet seems so much better than Blizzard variations at the moment, so Blizzard isn't even given a second thought. Blizzard was nerfed the last time they changed it though, so maybe they will buff it again (or nerf meteor) to allow Blizzard to become a better candidate for frost wizards. For PvP purposes, the grasping chill rune effect might be useful for littering the battlefield with mist.
  5. Npballer

Great replies. Thank you for the in-depth responses, very much appreciated. I will check back later tonight with some modifications.