Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I have a fantastic suggestion for Diablo 3

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by direfire, May 1, 2012. | Replies: 29 | Views: 2094

1. direfire

direfire IncGamers Member

I have a fantastic suggestion for Diablo 3

Here's an idea that is very easy for Blizzard to implement, it cost less for Blizzard, it's more fun and more natural for players. There is zero disadvantages for anyone.

So the character slots are limited, I don't know about you but I was one of those players who made at least 3 types of each class in D2lod. Goldbarb, singer and so on. I always had to make 10 new accounts to fill with loot but that's another story.

So my suggestion is that you start with the 5 slots. When you reach level 60, a new slot open up for you.
    You can open as many slots as you want, one new for each level 60+ you have.

This would restrict the number of idle characters in Blizzards database so cost less although this sounds like a crazy reason why they limit the slots in the first place but that is it anyways.

You might defend against this idea for the reason that we can swap skills all the time so we can make one-in-all characters but that in reality means you will have multiple equipment and a specific build for each variant so that is going to suck so hard.

So tell me, do you see Any flaw at all with this idea?
  2. Tryzx

Tryzx IncGamers Member

Re: I have a fantastic suggestion for Diablo 3

Actually, I think it's a pretty good idea.
    But here's what I'd change:

We would start with 5 SC slots and 5 HC slots. When a character reaches level 60 you gain another slot of the same type.
  3. Darkmere

Darkmere IncGamers Member

Rearranging dynamic storage arrays would be more expensive and horribly less efficient than just mapping out the space needed for 10 full characters for every account and leaving it at that. Physical storage isn't magically self-correcting and auto-scaling.
  4. direfire

Darkmere :)
    Programming isn't like religion. There's a class and a couple of functions and you're good to go.
    I don't know what you had in mind with the auto-scaling idea but imagine D2lot character slots...and imagine adding a forth row..No problem.
  5. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

I wouldn't be able to make Mule characters :p (let's face it, the stash isn't thaaat big and I like hoarding items).

If I make a mule for the 4 other classes (not the one I'm taking first to 60), I can't start another character until after my first class is 60 :p.

In any case, I wouldn't be surprised if Blizzard increases the total number of allowed characters some time after launch, before the expansion. They'll probably increase stash size, too, as players start to accumulate more stuff after a couple months.
  6. direfire

I'm a hoarder myself but Blizzard sertainly doesn't want you to hoard, they want you to sell your stuff so they can make money so increasing the stash size is far fetched. But they only open up new slots for lvl60s that would also solve the hoarding problem now that you mention it.

"hording problem" is a problem on BLizzards side, not our side.

7. Urzuxo

Urzuxo IncGamers Member

I don't like this idea because you only start with 5 slots. Imo that's waaaay too little. Every person won't play to lvl 60 to unlock more slots.

The reason 5 slots is too little is because you only get 1 per class. Maybe you want to try hardcore? Maybe you want to create another character to play with your low leveled friend?

I can honestly say that I ever won't use any more than 13 slots even if I was given 1000 so this feature might not be so relevant for the everyday player.

"But Urzuxo, why not just let people who like this feature take advantage of it and let others who don't want to leave it be?" Because this system encourages you to create more characters than what is originally intended when the devs designed the game. You're supposed to show commitment to a single character and build a connection to it. I remember when Jay W said in an interview that Diablo characters are more expendable than WoW characters.

I'm just blabbing on here, forgive me. I'm opposed to the idea.
  8. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

With unlimited freespecs there is no need to have more than one of a character class at level 60

so this doesn't really make sense
  9. RazeBarb

RazeBarb IncGamers Member

The only reason why I'm even making 10 instead of 5 characters, is to have 5 extra inventories to store stuff.
    Other than that, I'll only play 5 SC chars.
  10. starrise

starrise IncGamers Member

It's definitely not that simple. You have to actually, physically move all of the data on every backup each time you cause a dynamic update, to maintain load-time efficiency. Moving data around can take a lot of time. Not to mention it causes wear-and-tear on the drives which can, quite frankly, be tremendously expensive, especially with millions of users causing data rewrites. You also have difficulty reading/writing data while you're reading/writing it to move it around, leaving people with long load times all of the time.

You don't have to do things dynamically, just assume you have 10SC/10HC for each account. But now you've just doubled their character storage requirements. They may not be able to afford this with their projected gross revenue.

11. iThinman

iThinman IncGamers Member

Exactly how much data do you think it takes to store one accounts worth of information that all this data moving is going to slow things down? It is just variable values. They don't actually forge copies of all your gear at a machine shop.

:|
  12. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes IncGamers Member

Bull****.
    People can make new characters for whatever reasons. Blizzard severely limiting our ability to make more than 1 char of each class is really bad for something which is supposedly a multiplayer game.

13. zapotek

zapotek IncGamers Member

For me the biggest problem with the character limit is stash use. Instead of having several characters of the same class but with different builds(and thus equipment) I am going to have to use up the shared stash to have multiple equipment setups for each of the classes, not counting the pvp set each of the classes will need. Instead of logging back and forth between different character to get access to new playstyles I will need to move equipment around.

I plan to have 5 hc and 5 sc characters, one of each class. Equipment for different builds must be saved otherwise it will be a gigantic hassle to respec("creating a new character"), having to spend lots of time trading. I can easily see the need for having a minimum of at least five gearsets per class. I want to experience everything about the classes, not having to choose to have "my paladin slot being a zealot".

14. a black kid

a black kid IncGamers Member

couldnt disagree more. on top of the fact of liking to play different styles (for instance a spectral blade melee orientated wizard, and a meteoblizz sorc) there is different gear for different skills. so say i really enjoy 3 different wizard builds (and yes, i plan on having 3 wizards), am i expected to change out all my gear AND respec every time? i think that would be foolish, or at the very least tedius. plus i've always been a person who enjoys the process of leveling up, and using the skills i plan on using end game while leveling up, to get the best feel for them in a progressively difficult environment.

also, what about friends that play the game? ive always enjoyed leveling with friends. so ive got one of each class, all solid geared with many hours put into them, and my friend buys the game. am i supposed to say "sorry, i already have a max of each class, so we can't play together until you've played through at the very least two difficulties alone"

15. beingmused

beingmused IncGamers Member

5 SC, 5 HC, there's 10 right there. Zero room for mules of any kind. 10 characters is absolutely restrictive.

16. DiabloBaal

DiabloBaal IncGamers Member

I also have a fantastic suggestion for Blizzard..........

REMOVE THE ALWAYS ONLINE DRM
  17. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes IncGamers Member

Exactly...

18. stonerdoom

stonerdoom IncGamers Member

This.

You don't need three of everything. Each guy has ALL the skills/runes (remember the big deal that everyone made about it). All you need is your equipment to twink your guy to the slant that you want.

19. starrise

starrise IncGamers Member

I have no idea how much data it will take, I have estimates, but no idea if they're correct. If I had to guess, I'd say at the absolute most 1 MB per account (which for a million people is about a terabyte of storage on a single copy. Regardless, moving data uses up the ability of a storage drive's controller hardware to access further data. There is only so much parallel data movement that is possible within the confines of a single drive. Using up that data movement with useless, pointless dynamic data restructuring is a ridiculous waste of resources, and removes real-time reading/writing. Because of this, they don't use giant, 2 TB hard drives to store data like you might on your home computer. They will use a large quantity of smaller drives connected in parallel to dedicated servers to obtain maximum bandwidth access to the data.

They undoubtedly set up a framework in advance for how data is stored that is more or less static. Because character data is entirely predictable in terms of how much data is used. Things like which class, which gender, the fact you have 6 skills at most and what is in each slot, what your current rune choices are, a finite number of gear slots and references to the item database which item is where, each character's current progression (in the current quest) and overall progression (what quests have ever been completed) and level, gold on the entire account, shared stash unlocks, achievements, etc. All of these are merely reference values or short numbers, not actual significant storage, so they take up little bits of space that adds up. Because of this predictability, they can preallocate exactly the necessary amount of data in a rigorous manner, with no fragmentation. Then, data writing just changes reference values if certain data changes, and data seek/reading is highly predictable, dramatically decreasing access times, and reducing wear and tear on the drives to a small fraction of a dynamic system, saving tons of money and heartache, and keeping the system real-time.

Just because they are saving money relative to dynamic storage solutions does not mean this is cheap. They will need to run a lot of parallel, real-time backup copies of all of the data in case there is data corruption, because even tiny errors can cause severe customer backlashes (deleted items, characters, achievements, progression, etc). When the game saves your character server-side, it doesn't just do it once, it probably saves 5 to 10 copies all at the same time on different, parallel drives.

In a sense, the data framework IS effectively forged on the drives (not literally, but metaphorically) since the framework won't change. The individual data values may change, but where they are in relation to all of the other data will never change.

This is also part of why patching and maintenance takes so long: they sometimes have to restructure all of this data to account for new variables/references that didn't exist or were unforeseen in earlier builds, or perform integrity checks and pull/rebuild from parallel backups as necessary.

These systems are nothing like when you copy/paste data on a home computer. There are serious, costly ramifications for inefficiencies, and the systems are far more robust and complicated than home computers. A lot of complex thought from skilled people goes into planning these things out.

20. Darkmere

Darkmere IncGamers Member

Starrise got it. You can't just IMAGINE new spaces and they get filled by the Blizzard data Wizard. All this stuff has been designed the way it is for a reason. Nothing says Blizz won't implement more slots later, but it's not a trivial task, no matter how much wishful thinking and grand ideas get thrown at it.