Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I hate cooldowns!

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Community Forum' started by Galabab, Apr 1, 2012. | Replies: 120 | Views: 5928

1. Galabab

Galabab IncGamers Member

I hate cooldowns!

This is not meant to be a rage/qq thread....
    SCREW IT! Yes, it IS!

I HAAAAAAAAAAATE COOLDOWNS WOW-LIKE SH**! I want diablo2-like no coolddown skill spamming.
    I dont want to watch my bottom bar all the time. I want come home drunk and have 100% of my characters power with 1% brain activity. In other words I want to enjoy the vibe and the smashing rather than the bar and it's flashing.

Whoever does not agree is a weird little man.
  2. ElementEight

ElementEight IncGamers Member

Re: I hate cooldowns!

Cooldowns add combat depth.
  3. TheDestructor

TheDestructor IncGamers Member

4. Namik

Namik IncGamers Member

Yes, because WoW innovated coolodowns on skills.
  5. Toffeldjuret

Toffeldjuret IncGamers Member

We fundamentaly disagree. I think cooldowns add to the depth of the combat system, there is no challange in just spamming skills and see cooldowns as one of the major improvements of D3.
    Since you seem to not agree with Blizzards goals, maybe this game is not for you?
  6. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

Diablo 3 is striving to be less mindless than Diablo 2.

From the very beginning, in 2008, I realised where Blizzard wanted D3 to go in terms of tactical combat.

Combat in D3 is so much more interesting for so many reasons. It all begins with the change to health pots / town portal. In the past, because you could chug a million health pots, or town portal instantly to safety, the only way that the game could be challenging is to have monsters suddenly insta-kill you.

Now, because you can't chug infinite health potions, and because you can't town portal to safety any time you want, Blizzard can make combat encounters far more interesting. Monsters don't have instagib you anymore, so they can pace combat in such a way that tactical skills with cooldowns are important and compelling.

I've always had a problem with action RPGs, yes, even the past Diablo games. It's one thing to have a powerful character, but it's another for combat (even against monsters of your level) to be boring.
  7. SirAdis

SirAdis IncGamers Member

Same here, expecialy the 43 day cooldown before I get to play D3... :) Cooldowns are just another resource-like system, wether you dont have AP/Mana/Rage/Spirit/Hatered/Discipline to cast something or you simply have to wait 10 or 20 sec to recast a skill.
  8. marshmallow

marshmallow IncGamers Member

"Tactical gameplay" = slow everything to a crawl, add cooldowns, add buff/debuff skills.
  9. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

i think cool downs make the game better. work on your build, balance instant vs cooldown abilities. you will be fine. it will be fun
  10. WhiteGiant

WhiteGiant IncGamers Member

i have crazy idea ; hang on to your hat buddy here it comes ; how about you only choose skills without cooldowns ?! mindblowing isn't it ?

but i suppose blizzard could also remove all cooldowns and balance the skills accordingly ; however i think that 0,5 sec duration frostnova, a 120% wpn dmg earthquake , or an 9% wpn dmg / swing call of the ancients are not very exciting.

if you do not agree with me you are a [insert personal fav insult] !!!

its because of voices like him that games like ME3 and d3 get dumbed down.
    hell why do i even try to reason with him -___-
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  11. Mage Slayer

Mage Slayer IncGamers Member

It is quite possible to build characters that avoid cooldowns. Not every skill has one. If you don't like that playstyle, don't use it.
  12. Sex

Sex IncGamers Member

Someone had to beat me to it.

13. Klathum

Klathum IncGamers Member

Well if they would go without cds, then they would have to make blizzard, fetish army, call of the ancients etc last only 1-2 seconds... which is kinda dumb
  14. thewoodshed

thewoodshed IncGamers Member

I agree with this part 100%.

It is a myth that cool downs add play depth.

15. Klathum

Klathum IncGamers Member

so, you're also playing Diablo game drunk?
  16. ElementEight

ElementEight IncGamers Member

I think he's making an april's fool.

Also, in case you aren't, no. You're wrong. Without cooldowns, your skills must all be on the same level in terms of strength, and epicness loses its sense.

17. ADest

ADest IncGamers Member

I've found cooldowns are rapidly driving me away from gaming in general. It really kills the sensation of fluid gameplay, since whenever you have skills on cool down and try to progress, you're not progressing at peak efficiency. For me, doing that, even at low levels, is unimaginable, so what happens is I find myself standing around waiting for the cool downs to end before moving on. Considering I have less time to play games these days to begin with, I really don't want to spend what time I do have just standing there looking at a ticker tock down. It's funny, because the last time this was even a concern was in Megaman, where I'd wait two secs or so to have a charged Mega Buster before moving on.

I like the wizard, but so much time is spent with that character standing there waiitng for Frost Nova to come back up after each fight, and then it gets worse because I find myself waiting for Wave of Force as well. As far as the D3 beta goes, I only have two complaints about it. 1: Cool downs, (not so much the concept, but the length. They're just too long. No cool downs should last longer than 6 seconds, except maybe the 'super' abilities like Archon, and those can be extended by killing foes...) and 2: How melee monsters can hit you from across the screen without having to complete their attack animations if you were close to them when they started the animation.

D2 sort of had cool downs, in the limitation of resources. The upside was you eventually outgrew these limitations. Aside from the rune effects that reduce cooldown durations by a piddly amount, you're essentially stuck with the cool down durations forever.
  18. Wildmoon

Wildmoon IncGamers Member

There are many skills that are spamable. Something like CotA not having cooldown just doesn't make sense.
  19. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes IncGamers Member

I like cooldowns.
  20. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

Me too. When they're done right, they make a game much more fun for me. The challenge for the D3 devs is to make skills with long cooldowns really powerful, while not making them required to be viable, so that players who don't like cooldowns don't feel like they have to choose them.

Also, people who are saying that D2 didn't have cooldowns are wrong.
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012