Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I found a nice skill synergy.

Discussion in 'Wizard' started by tomhyde, Apr 5, 2012. | Replies: 16 | Views: 2594

1. tomhyde

tomhyde IncGamers Member

I found a nice skill synergy.

I found a rather nice relationship between some passive and active skills. I don't claim for an instant to be the first to have found this but I thought I'd mention it to those who might not have seen it. I'd be very suprised if that hasn't been mentioned before but a scan of the first couple of pages yielded no results.

The relationship lies between Energy Armor with prismatic armor rune (active), Astral Presence with (passive) and Galvanizing Ward (passive).

By taking all 3 you gain the following:

+2 arcane power generated per second
    40% boost to resistances
    65% boost to armour
    310 life per second while Energy Armour is active
    Energy Armour duration boosted to 4 minutes
    You negate the -20 arcane power from Energy Armour due to Astral Presence.

Example build:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#aVXYOQ!fXT!ZZaaca

Admittedly it takes two passives and 1 active skill slot to do but it seems pretty big boost in defensive stats to me. I don't have the beta so I'm kinda going on just how the skills are worded but I can't see a reason why it wouldn't be accurate.

Just thought I'd share in the unlikely event it's been missed.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  2. Rokel

Rokel IncGamers Member

Re: I found a nice skill synergy.

I think two of them have a synergy which is worthwhile

Astral Presence + Energy armour = for me 65% + armour is pretty impressive combined with the astral presence +20 arcane pool +2 regen a second and its a winning combination. If we will need the the +40% resistance as Wizards is another matter, it might be better to have the extra crit or arcane pool but we won't really know that till the games out.

Galvanizing Ward doesn't look so hot to me, yes it buffs the duration of the energy armour and gives a small health tick a second but would it really be worthwhile? doesn't seem so to me. I'd imagine 310 health a sec is not a big buff at end game damage amounts and clicking on a skill after 2mins or 4mins seems not very crucial to me due to the low cost.

I will be going for Energy Armour ( with rune to be decided) + Astral Presence on most of my builds as it just seems a great combo.
  3. ElementEight

ElementEight IncGamers Member

That's not what synergy is. What you're doing right now is stats stacking.

Synergy would be 1+1=3. What you have right now is 1+1=2.

Anyway, am I alone to find galvanizing ward weak? 300 hps isn't all that much. The increased armor duration is insignificant since there's no limit to casting them in the first place. Seems like you could get much better in terms of passive.
  4. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Passives with easily reproducible as gear bonuses are underwhelming in general. GW should be % based. Unstable Anomaly is still the most insulting passive in the game, though.
  5. ElementEight

Yeah, I hate Anomaly as well. As for Galvanizing Ward, if it's % based it'll suck at lower health levels. They want stuff to stay pretty good at all levels, or at least, make it worth skipping gear (such as the monk's resistance-equalizing skill thing). It could be flat value + x% of health, though. Or it could become something actually interesting.

6. tomhyde

tomhyde IncGamers Member

Apparently my understanding on the word synergy was incorrect. I can't edit the title but edited the main text.

I get what your saying about GW. 310 health every second isn't a whole lot. If you drop it you still retain the armour, resist and arcane power regeneration bonuses which are still really strong or at least appear to be. You can then free up an extra passive slot for whatever you want. Prodigy seems like a reasonable choice but depends on your build I guess.

And yes Anomaly does seem weak.
  7. cozmiccc

cozmiccc IncGamers Member

There's more effect from Galvanizing Ward other than increased duration and health regen, notice it says "The following skills are improved"? I supposed it increase the armor skills itself so maybe buffing the +% armor too... what exactly the bonus is we don't know as the skill calculator can't display the synergy when both are chosen....

8. tomhyde

tomhyde IncGamers Member

I understand the "The following skills are improved..." is a badly worded way of saying "This passive skill affects these active abilities" much like the barbarians Inspiring Presence where it lists your shouts. I'm not sure it will actually boost the armour increase sadly.
  9. ElementEight

I'm hoping it does add something else to them indeed

10. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

11. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

Nobody knows if 310 HP/sec is any good or is useless. We'll have to know how much HP we have and how much damage we're taking at the end-game to really tell. In other words, what this post is basically saying is "energy armor with prismatic armor rune is a nice boost to armor and resistances". And well, yeah, it is. Is it worth it over other armor options? Possibly - It does look powerful. But can't really tell, since we don't know how much we'll actually gain in our survivability when we increase armor by 65% and resistances by 40%, compared to the other stuff we're giving up to get the armor and resistance boost.

As for +20 max AP and +2 AP/sec, am I the only one who doesn't find it all that great? We know how fast AP regenerates and how much faster it regenerates if you use a passive that gives you AP as you use signature spells. Maybe it'll be somewhat good if you run around a lot (making passive regen more important than regenerating AP by using signature spells). But again it's impossible to tell without getting some real in-game experience at the high difficulties. In any case, it has absolutely no synergy whatsoever with energy armor's penalty. In fact, if you think max AP is so great, you might want to consider a different armor or use energy tap. Though again the only way max AP will be that great is if combat is really short and you have plenty of time running around between engagements to refill your AP to its max.

Overall, instead of thinking "how good would X be?" you should think "what should be in-game for X to be good?" and then when you actually play and get some experience you'll need to spend less time thinking what is actually good to use.
  12. ElementEight

You'd like 20 more AP if you played the beta at all.

As for knowing if 300 hp is good, well, we have some indications of how much HP a level 60 (geared) will have - look for that particular thread - but if we're anywhere close to right, it'd be less than 1%. Many skills offer a significantly higher flat or % for regen, such as barb shouts or monky stuff. So, yeah, we can say it's probably pretty bad already.
  13. yovargas

yovargas IncGamers Member

Um, guys...on GW. The best potion in the game gives 12K. You can theoretically drink one every 30 secs which averages out to 400/sec. Unless the best potion in the game is kinda crappy, to have a perpetually-on 300/sec doesn't seem bad at in comparison. It's like drinking the 2nd highest potion in the game non-stop.
  14. Karpalo

Karpalo IncGamers Member

except it isn't. First of all it's notably less, secondly potions are meant to be a source of burst heal, not a way to sustain yourself.

Anyways i think those numbers are place holders and will probably scale somehow.
  15. Elfik

Elfik IncGamers Member

Astral presence--I have always thought this passive was great, and probably better than prodigy (although admittedly I haven't played the beta). Arcanot is an active skill that gives +2 AP/s, on par with astral presence. If a passive can replace an active skill, then it should be good. Maybe prodigy will turn out better, though, who knows?

Also, there kind of is a small synergy with astral presence and energy armour. Since energy armour decreases AP by 20, the +20 max AP from astral presence could be argued to be more beneficial to wizards using energy armour. I mean it all depends on how the game plays out. It's at least nice to have the option of taking astral presence, and depending on the build, it might be a key passive to have, I think.

Galvanizing ward's life regen also might be important, but in my eyes it's weak, so it won't be on the top of my list of interesting skills to try out. The increased duration of armours is pretty much useless, aside from convenience.

Energy armour is a boring defensive passive buff, but it's a pretty unique role in the wizard skill set, so I'm looking forward to trying it out, especially the rune effects. Pinpoint barrier + critical mass, energy tap if max AP is needed, prismatic if resistances are needed. I'm not so keen on force armour, but it looks interesting. Absorption may be useful for some builds, too.
  16. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

In beta obviously you cast a spender or 3 and you're done with the entire mob pack and are running to the next one, regenerating your entire AP pool in the process. When monsters take more casts to kill, things might be different.
  17. ElementEight

The potion pays "burst" tax, which, from experience with Blizzard balance across D2, Wc3, WoW and such, is approximately 50% of a "spread out" or "over time" version. I won't do a f*cking case study over that, though.