Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I can't decide which character to play still... It sucks in such a good way.

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Andy2702, Apr 29, 2012. | Replies: 26 | Views: 2396

1. Andy2702

Andy2702 IncGamers Member

I can't decide which character to play still... It sucks in such a good way.

Are you guys all set on which character to start off with? Have your decisions changed after watching videos or playing the open beta?

Mine changed so many times I can't settle on a single character... They all seem so awesome.

I had always been the "mage" guy. I love magic, and usually start off most RPGs with a caster. I played wizard and I loved it, but then I played the demon hunter and surprised myself with how fun it was. Then I tried the barbarian and that was a whole new experience. I have yet to try the monk or the witch doctor but so far, I've only heard great things about them.

This is quite sad - I've waited a decade for this game and now it's two weeks from release and I have no idea what to play. I might just end up rolling a die and choosing from that come May 15th... :jig:
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  2. Darkmere

Darkmere IncGamers Member

Re: I can't decide which character to play still... It sucks in such a good way.

I got to spend a little time with every class on open beta weekend. My first D2 char was a (VERY poorly designed) Necro. I played a warlock in WoW. My go-to will probably always be the Witch Doctor; I love the flexibility too much to do anything else.

However, the barb really surprised me. It still isn't much fun to watch (imo) but playing it is viscerally awesome. Monk went from something I thought I'd have to "be in the mood" to play, to my party-buff character of choice. Close-range wizards sound quite entertaining, and demon hunter feels about as good as I expected.

Basically, my preferences didn't change, but the monk and barb went from "eventually" to "I'll find an excuse to make one." Looking forward to it.
  3. JackalYYC

JackalYYC IncGamers Member

Re: I can't decide which character to play still... It sucks in such a good way.

I would do my own full post, but it would simply be this in different words!

I'm still torn about playing Wizard (as I originally decided I would) or Demon Hunter (who quickly rose in my eyes after beta) as my first character.

4. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

i tried to count how many times i changed my first character, but i've lost track.

i have finally settled on the barb. that will be my first char. not sure how far i will get before making another since all 5 are really fun but i hope its not til i ding 60. my goal is to have the barb feed items to my other chars since i love hand me downs
  5. Srikandi

Srikandi IncGamers Member

The WD is my favorite class... but for that very reason, she may not be my first ;) She excels at Hardcore due to her CC and pets, and your first Hardcore char CAN'T be your first char. Ever since Hardcore was added to the beta, I've played the WD second just for that reason, and I may continue the tradition.

In which case, the Monk will probably be my first... did NOT expect to like him (always found the D2 assassin too fiddly), but it turns out I really enjoy the playstyle. His combos are fluid and easy and don't require extra planning.

I too like all the classes, a lot, though :) So I agree, hard call!
  6. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

Had my heart set on the WD ever since June 2008.

I don't even like Pet classes or 'dark' classes, normally. However, it's the voodoo theme specifically that made me instantly love the guy.
  7. Ixnatifual

Ixnatifual IncGamers Member

Definitely starting with a Barbarian. Followed by a Witch Doctor. My most played classes in Diablo 2 were Necro, Barbarian and Paladin. Sadly the Diablo 3 Templar isn't playable, so I'll have to make do :)
  8. Darkmere

Darkmere IncGamers Member

The templar does ~1 point of base damage per swing, probably best left to the follower slot. Though I did get him up to 2.6 with a blue sword!
  9. Drakk

Drakk IncGamers Member

Still deciding between a Wizard or a Barb.. Kill speed vs. survivability. I just don't know yet!
  10. sgtTenor

sgtTenor IncGamers Member

Nothing has changed for me. It will still be the WD even if it's not a necromancer. The only thing disappointing was the wizard The DH took that spot as now the wizard is dead last. Don't mind though. I will play all the classes probably have 2 of each and not even feel rushed to beat the game even in normal.
  11. Frosty_The_Snowman

Frosty_The_Snowman IncGamers Member

My favourite characters in D2 were Sorceress and Necro, followed by Amazon, and then Barb, Assasin/Druid and finally Paladin. So I definitely have the profile of a caster/summoner.

I'll probably chose the Wizard, Witch Doctor or Demon Hunter as first character.
    In the end, I'll probably pick up the character that is the most gear-independant of the 3 (still have to figure out which one it is).
  12. nailertn

nailertn IncGamers Member

I don't think picking a first character is as big of a commitment as you make it sound. I have leveled all classes to 13 multiple times in the beta but not in one sitting or focusing on one at a time. I always picked what I felt like playing the most and switched frequently. Like many others I am partial to the WD since its announcement but that doesn't mean he will necessarily be my first choice. If you don't care about racing to world 1st and equally like multiple classes I don't see the point of all this planning instead of just picking whatever you feel like when it's time to.
  13. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

To me, D3 is serious business - school starts in a week and a half after release, and I'll want to get my chosen character to 60 before starting the other classes. It'd suck if I spend my precious 1.5 weeks of holiday playing a particular class then deciding I ought to play a different one, instead because once school starts, there's no way I'm playing anywhere near as much D3 as I'd like :(.

For me, the choice is pretty straightforward, but I can see how if you're unsure, it can be quite a dilemma.
  14. Arcanae

Arcanae IncGamers Member

I like dedicating myself to a single class, so the fact I am so torn is quite frustrating for me. My first char in D2 was Necro, but when I bought the game, I was 10 and clueless. That Necromancer ended up being some unholy combination between summonmancer, poisonmancer and bonemancer, and needless to say, completly gimped. I never got past Duriel with him. After that (and several other failed chars) I found out about two things, guides to character building on the interenet, and Sorceress. After that, my Sorc was generally my main char in D2, though I made (successfully) several additional Necros.

Anyways, I am sad to say that I, much like the OP, am completly stumped on what class to play in D3 for a very simple reason, I love them all. When D3 was first announced, back in 2008, I set my sights on Witch Doctor and decided him to be my main. He simply had everything that had originally drawn me to Necro, but better, more polished and with less hassle. After that, I must've changed my main dozen or more times, and I am kinda sorta kinda leaning towards Wizard being my first and main class, but I really don't know. I will play them all to 60, multiple times testing out different builds etc, as well as in hardcore, so that kind of eases my decision.
  15. Sky Tan

Sky Tan IncGamers Member

Had decided on DH on the day it revealed, but during the open BETA...WD came close to wavier my decision.
    The Monks combo seems detached not like the assasin..was lookking for chains and finishing moves else he would be another contender.

Not saying BArb n Wizard not attractive, jus overplayed them in the past 10 yrs ?
  16. ematanis

ematanis IncGamers Member

I was gonna play Demon Hunter before the open beta , but for some reason it didn't click for me when I played it , I think it will eventually turn out a fun class at high level , but the beta will always leave impressions and affect your choices at the start of the game.

I played Monk first to try in the beta and I loved it , but then I played WD , at first it was very slow but towards level 11 it changed abit and became a very powerful class with proper gear , I tried barbarian the last day of the beta and I focused everything on him and turned him into a beast with the best gear I could get from beta and he was ripping monsters apart even in full 4 players game , so I am gonna go barbarian route when the game is released , I love his brute force.

Wizard is also fun but mages/wizards/sorcerers usually become my alts and I enjoy playing them every now and then.
  17. starrise

starrise IncGamers Member

Here's my plan:

Until I've "established" my artisans and resource bank (gold, item, gem, etc), I will play precisely one character dedicated to each of the three primary stats. So a barb, a monk and a witch doctor. Once I've established myself, then I will open up to a demon hunter and wizard. That is five characters, and all of them will be solo-dedicated. The order will be monk -> witch doctor -> barbarian.

I will also be playing with my brother, his boyfriend and a mutual friend, and with another, separate group of friends (two groups). Each group will have a separate character so I don't cross-contaminate my leveling. I'm not sure what these will be, but they will probably be demon hunter and wizard to fill in the blanks until I'm established, as described in the last paragraph. No order necessary here, they will be simultaneous.
  18. FulItilt

FulItilt IncGamers Member

The utility of the Monk has always appealed to me, although i do enjoy the other classes as well.
  19. Srikandi

Srikandi IncGamers Member

The first char is likely to take several times as long to level as the rest of them... that's my experience with the beta after each wipe, anyway... no twinking, no gold bank, no stash space, no artisan. And, of course, you'll be exploring with no idea what to expect or what the optimal search patterns are, and spending time staring at your inventory comparing items, and reading skill and rune descriptions. So the first char is the one you'll be spending the most time with :) Should be one you enjoy!

20. MoneyMike

MoneyMike IncGamers Member

Before the open beta I was dead set on the WD, but after playing the monk I knew immediately that he was my favorite. He just feels really fluid, was fun to play.