Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Human immortality

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Orba, May 8, 2013. | Replies: 73 | Views: 3048

1. Orba

Orba IncGamers Member

Do you think we are nearing the point where aging will be stopped completely, or even reversed? How far along do you think we are in terms of achieving human immortality? What do you know about this subject?

I am personally very interested in this subject, because I am scared of death and dying. I don't ever want to die and I turn to science for help.
  2. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

It still seems like quite a leap to me. Perhaps in my lifetime, but I'm not expecting it soon. Hope you're young and you drive safely!

http://www.thedarewall.com/tv/the-big-bang-theory/season/4/episode/2

The writers of Big bang theory say just bit over 60 years.

Seriously though, I think the way we'll end up living longer is finding ways to slow or reduce the aging process. It won't make us immortal, as there will still be accidents and wars, and whatnot, but people are really working on that. I suppose in a lot of ways we've been working on it for a long time, but now that we have a better understanding of how we function, there's a better chance for a breakthrough.

If we did figure it out, it would broach a lot of difficult questions about who gets it, how much it costs, and whether we'd even allow them to test it. Imagine the upheaval!

LOL, and people are worried about Social security going broke NOW, just wait until we live forever.
  3. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

we'll nail it the day after you die
  4. Vivi

Vivi IncGamers Member

There's more people I know who are afraid of death and dying, and my first question always is - for death itself, or for the way you die? As for me it's merely the latter. For someone I know, it's definitely the former, she's afraid of a void.

Immortality can not be achieved. Nothing is eternal. It can be stretched, aye. But as time progresses, everything decays. And you must wonder if it'll be worth it.
    I think there's only that much of a time we've been given. I think that at some point, when everyone you care for has died, and no one can remember the world you can remember, you grow tired, and want to rest.

Even things with a long lifespan - say a turtle - die. Even things with an enormous lifespan - planets, stars, galaxies, die. Particles recycle and you end up with bits of Shakespeare in your elbow, but Shakespeare himself is gone. And earth changes. Eventually it'll die, but it has always been changing - humanity's existence on earth is like a grain of sand of all the sand on this planet.
    So the planet evolves, the climate changes as it has over billions and billions and billions*) of years, and there you are, immortal, clinging on for, ha, dear life, in a world you can't live in, and no one who you can share with what was in the hitparade**) when you were young.

I am, as it seems, chronically ill. I am surviving, I am clinging on, but it is not easy for me to live. Some days, I feel like I'm just waiting for my death and that it can't come soon enough.
    But even then I worry about the how, as there's worse suffering.

*) Sorry, that's what happens if you watch Prof Brian Cox.
    **) I'm already a fossil.
  5. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

Nothing is immortal. Everything will die, at some point. Except "the void".
  6. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

okay, but if there was a way to not age, and you could only die by means of accident or injury or disease, but not just regular old age--because once you reached adulthood, you were just like that forever. that would certainly change society. Even doubling our lifespan would be an enormous change.
  7. Glurin

Glurin IncGamers Member

Well, the big problem with discovering immortality is that it would probably end up being reserved for some ******* politicians and their buddies. Can't have everybody being immortal after all. Just not enough room for it on Earth, so it might as well just be the "best and brightest", right?

As far as extending lifespans though, I think we might be closest to a kind of Ghost in the Shell model. Basically get yourself new body parts or even a whole new body as the old one wears out. You wouldn't be immortal, but you'll add quite a few years that you wouldn't otherwise have had.

Heh, for some reason, that reminds me of paladins. :p
  8. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

There are TED talks on this you should watch (transhumanists, etc). Imo, I doubt we can overcome our great ape proclivities.

Oh really? I would count him immortalized. He invented some 1700 words.

We should change our perception of immortality. It starts with getting your own Wikipedia entry. Centuries on, if you are still affecting people, then how is that much different than being alive?
  9. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

There are several versions of immortality man would want to achieve:
    - natural: stop growing older at the age of 25 and survive all lethal attacks/accidents/diseases
    (what would happen if you get hit by a meteor, fragments of your body survive, or are you invulnerable, or mutilated for eternity?)
    - divine: your physical body will perish, but your soul will live on forever on another plane of existence
    (I don't care what anybody says, unless somebody can provide me with hard evidence and a little demonstration, I'm not buying it)
    - artificial: either upgrading decaying bodyparts with synthetics, or transfer/copy your entire neural pathways in a robot
    (won't subjection to machines allow other people/machines to control you instead?)

Non of these seem appealling to me.

And even if you could live forever (by any means necessary/possible) what would you do for all eternity, at some point the universe will cease to exist, and you'd be alone, floating around in an endless void.

I think immortality is only truly desirable if you have additional "powers" or special companions.

But if you think about it, anything that would make you immortal and keep you going, would require some sort of energy, whereas when the universe reaches maximum entropy, all energy would have been spent?

This thread is making my brain go "ouch" :jig:
  10. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Life is short and then you die.

Not Going to Happen if it DiD we would Probably die as a race.
  11. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

I'm not a fan of immortality. One look into the realm of scifi/fantasy is enough to see the possible pitfalls it has. Besides, everything has its time. Imagine trying to be your own person in a world where your parents/grandparents are still alive and critiquing your every move. Forever! And who here would want to be perpetually stuck as a 16 year old. :badteeth:
  12. Vivi

Vivi IncGamers Member

His personality, his works and his inventions are perhaps immortal, but the man himself is not, unless you really believe he's out there, in some zombieform.
    Now I'm reminded of Horrible Histories.

Another thing.
    Where are we going to put the children? Everybody lives and the planet becomes crowded unless immortality is combined with infertality. I don't think you can have it both, not succesfully anyways.
  13. Vivi

Vivi IncGamers Member

His words and inventions may be immortal, but the man is dead. Unless you think he's some sort of zombie.

Another thing: where are we going to put the children? Everybody lives and the planet becomes crowded unless immortality is combined with infertality.
    You can't have it both, not succesfully anyways.
  14. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

Simple: ship them out to colonize the universe! Since they cannot die, they don't need food or oxygen or warmth or protection from extreme heat or radiation, so you can build cheap spaceships :jig:
  15. Vivi

Vivi IncGamers Member

16. Orba

Orba IncGamers Member

I found this website, it makes for an interesting read: http://www.manhattanbeachproject.com/Scientific-Roadmap-to-Cure-Aging.htm

Also, I think those of us who are interested in everlasting life should try and persuade biotech companies to invest in radical life-extension studies and research..you know, the baby boomer generation is getting older and it's natural that some of them want to live longer, and happier. There is much money to be made in this. Plus the rest of us gets to benefit from it too.

Anybody has any idea how to go about doing this?
  17. Orba

Orba IncGamers Member

18. Technomancer

Technomancer IncGamers Member

I think immortality is nowhere near here, just like fusion and (real) AI. They're myths, perpetually "just 30 years out". Sure *eventually*, but not in any of our lifetimes.

I've become pretty firmly against immortality. For anyone. You have the obvious problems like population, dating your great-great-grandmother, etc., but the thing that kills it for me (sorry about the pun) is that old ideas need to die to make room for new ideas. The only way for that to happen is for the people that cling to them to die out. Where would we be if we had to share this world with people who still think the earth is flat, 6000 years old, and that slavery is A-OK? ... Oh wait... :eek:mg:

Seriously though, with immortality would come extreme stagnation of knowledge, technology, and progress in general. The individual would benefit, but humanity as a whole would flounder.

One thing I find funny: when I was younger, I was terrified of death. I mean really freaked out. I would have jumped at the opportunity to live forever in an instant. Nowadays, it's merely an unpleasant part of life.
  19. wolfofbenjamin

wolfofbenjamin IncGamers Member

If you want to be immortal, just eat and drink.
  20. dalyconversions

dalyconversions IncGamers Member

You cannot be immortal by eating and drinking unless having chronic illness due to excessive eating and drinking that leads to death.