Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How to "whisper" someone

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by smoknjester, Jun 1, 2006. | Replies: 8 | Views: 8582

1. smoknjester

smoknjester IncGamers Member

How to "whisper" someone

I was doing my normal plunkin around in a game I created when a blue message came up and it was someone wanting to have me rush them. Said they saw my name on the forums here ...I didn't know how to respond, and then the message dissapeared. I wasn't fast enough to write down who the message was from, and just want to know if I was being "whispered" and how to respond??
    I know this is total stupid, but how do you find someone online??
  2. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

You can anytime when in a game check the message log by pressing the "m" button. It stores loads of messages, no idea how many. It resets upon exiting a game.
    Well worth checking if you've been afk or missed something one way or another.

To whisper someone, you can either use the character name or the account name.

/msg *accountname message
    or
    /msg charactername message

To see if someone is online, you can add them to your friends list, by using the command
    /f a accountname (no * before the accname now!!)
    and check the friends list by typing
    /f L
    Remove someone from the list with
    /f r accountname

Worth noting is that if you and another person have each other on your lists (mutual friends), the game will notify whenever that person enters a game and logs on/off battle.net Mutual friends will also see the name of the game a person is in when using /f L command, non-mutual friends will only see that "the user is in a private game".

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:
  3. zebulin

zebulin IncGamers Member

so if someone whispers something when you are in the chat areas (and haven't joined or created a game yet) and you miss what was said and who said it, there is no way to catch it? I was almost certain that 'm' only works within an actual game.

Also is there a "reply" shortcut when whispering? conversations can be awkward as hell with all that "/w *accountname" preceding every little "yes" or "no"
  4. smoknjester

smoknjester IncGamers Member

Thanks Tons LorveN !!!! That helps a bunch
  5. LorveN

Uhm, when I wrote "when in a game" I was referring to a game where you can run around with your character, not in "D2".
    the "m" button only works in games where you can "play", not in channels. When in channels, you can scroll up though... :azn:

When in channels, you can also write
    /r message
    this will send the typed in message to the person you last recieved a message from. Be careful though, as also joingame-messages counts, so replys may end up going to the wrong person. :rolleyes:
    Else, for accountnames etc, I use copy/paste, and I'm a fast writer! :azn:

Smoknjester, no worries! Now message people crazy!
  6. ian_linington

ian_linington IncGamers Member

Also
    /w %fxx where xx is the number of your friend in your /f list

Shame you can only have 25 people in your list !

Cheers

Ian L.
  7. LorveN

Uhm, forgot one.
    /f m message
    sends the message to everybody online on your friends list. Use carefully though, everybody might not be interested in everything you say. It can be quite annoying if you talk to 3 persons at the same time about different stuff, and use this command...
  8. Nolecub

Nolecub IncGamers Member

You can save time on whispering the same person in a conversation by pressing enter to open your dialouge box. Before typing, press the up arrow and it will display the last message you typed. Simply erase everything except the /w *accountname and write your new message.
  9. Stompwampa

Stompwampa IncGamers Member

it's quicker sometimes to just retype it though if you just typed out a long message ;-)
    i've just gottenused to typing it out each time ;-)