Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How to install a second Diablo 2 on my computer?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by piplanfear, Oct 18, 2013. | Replies: 10 | Views: 3040

1. piplanfear

piplanfear IncGamers Member

Hey folks, how do I install a second Diablo2 on my computer?
    Seems the CDs install file locates the first copy and therefor I canT install a second one even thought I have 2 CD-keys.
    Any help would be great, might be odd that and "old fox" like me donT know this but have never bothered before. Sadly its a bit harder nowadays to find ppl on when you need a mule, so a second CD-key would solve that.

2. Black Lotus

Black Lotus IncGamers Member

I always use VMware to emulate another windows XP (each copy eats up ~3GB of disk space and 192MB RAM when activated). Works just great.
    Of course, this would require another set of cd-keys (d2+d2:lod), and you will be tempbanned A LOT more often when using two accounts with the same IP-address, so be careful.

3. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

There is another very simple solution, one Ive used plenty of times. Just rename the D2 folder in your programs folder, into something else.

Then its just up to install another, since the path is different, your pc wont detect the first installation of d2.

4. piplanfear

piplanfear IncGamers Member

Will have the last part in mind, and will try this if the renaming donT work.

And I will be able to enter B-net with both?
    Sounds superb if so :)

5. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Yes, I have 3 keys, that I use to mule with. All can be logged in at the same time, and in the same game.

You will ofc need D2+LoD keys for each instance of the game. If you plan on playing on bnet.

6. Black Lotus

Black Lotus IncGamers Member

I have no idea how you do that, it always says "only one copy of Diablo II may run at a time". Do you use modified .exe file?

7. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Ah, forgot to mention I use Sandboxie to be able to start a 2nd copy of D2.

The free version allowes for one instance, the bought copy allowes at least 3-4 iirc.

8. Cerberus

Cerberus IncGamers Member

Just got my second copy running with the free version of sandboxie. Works like a charm :)

You just have to rename your diablo 2 folder and delete the desktop shortcut (might have to delete the start menu shortcut as well). You don't have to do anything fancy with sandboxie. You rightclick and and chose "run sandboxed" on your second installation to get them running at the same time.

9. Fizoo

Fizoo IncGamers Member

You can run multiple accounts on a windows machine without sandboxie and not get the "only one copy of Diablo II may run at a time" error. You have to use fast user switching. Setting up fast user switching varies depending on what version of windows you use however, and you didn't give the specs of your system, so I cannot help you further. Make sure to give your system specs before asking questions!

10. Cerberus

Cerberus IncGamers Member

I considered user switching, but having two games running at once and being able to move your mouse between them is amazing. I have my second copy running windowed on my second monitor, but having it windowed "behind" works fine as well.

11. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

You have to change the "target" of the shortcuts to match the new folder, the d2 installation uses.
    This way, I do have 3 shortcuts of d2 on my desktop. One for each installation, no problemo.

If you use sandboxie, and windowed mode, you can have all the instances up at the same time, on the same screen.
    Which is superfast.