Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How much MF do you play with and farm with?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by liquid_mage, Jul 16, 2012. | Replies: 119 | Views: 9808

1. liquid_mage

liquid_mage IncGamers Member

Hello fellow barbs,

Recently I hit 62k dps DW, 51k Life, 8500 Armor, 800 All Resis, 800 Loh, 500 Life Regen (all buffed stats) but had no MF on my gear. So I decided to swap some of the easier to replace pieces out and add some MF. I ended up adding 116 MF w/o NV but dropped to 55k dps DW, 48k Life, 8200 Armor, 700 All Res, 550 Loh, 200 Life Regen. I can still farm act 2 w/o any real issues and I definitely get more rare items. So my questions are:

1. How much MF does your gear have?

2. Do you have a different MF gear set, then the one you might use to help other progress into Act 3/4 Inferno?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  2. safetypro

safetypro IncGamers Member

I have a couple pieces with minor MF stats. I've experimented with carrying a few pieces to swap out before the kill but I find that cumbersome to do and haven't seen any evidence that increased MF on gear makes a whole bunch of difference. Here's what I know:

1. 5 Stacks on NV is presently worth 75 MF.

2. Most decent drops happen with boss packs, bosses and gold goblins.

3. As far as I know, MF does not increase the stats or level of item drops, only the chance for a yellow to drop.

4. More DPS/defensive stats means faster kills and dying less often which equates to more opportunities.

In a nutshell, my advice would be to include MF on gear pieces when the items do not downgrade what you already have. Otherwise keep building 5 stacks of NV and chase down all gold goblins.

Hope this helps.

3. alockmey

alockmey IncGamers Member

More MF equals more affixes, which make for better itens.
    Therefore, I farm with 280% MF in A1.

4. safetypro

safetypro IncGamers Member

Maybe I'm incorrect in my statement above. I heard that the MF only increases the chances of a magic item dropping hence, white upgraded to blue, blue upgraded to yellow and so on. I was unaware that the item affixes actually improve with MF. Can you please list your source so I can learn more about it?

5. wieczorek

wieczorek IncGamers Member

6. AbrielNei

AbrielNei IncGamers Member

7. liquid_mage

liquid_mage IncGamers Member

Thanks for the extra info, I had seen the chart before but its good to have a link. Its great info that blizzard released on the drop check order: Unique, 6 mod rare, 5 mod rare, etc...

My goal is to have the best gear I can with at least 100MF before NV. Part of the reason I lost some stats was I only spent about 3m on 8 pieces(5 for me, 3 for my merc) of gear to get that 116mf. As I said I was just curious how much other people have on their gear.

8. SlaX

SlaX IncGamers Member

I run Act 1 with 207 unbuffed and 127 in Act 2, trying to substitute more pieces/find better for Act 2 it seems to give me the best speed/loot ratio.

35k hp, 350AR , 30k DPS, 8.1k armor no other stats is what I am doing it with, hoping to get a ring with crit/str/vit/AR/MF ring.

I equip my followers in all blue highest MF pieces, they give me a free 14% MF =)

9. Dahmer

Dahmer IncGamers Member

I'm farming act 2 with 116 mf unbuffed and finding a lot more rares than I did without mf gear, randomly getting rares from normal mobs is fun too. I think that most of the items I'm getting have 5 affixes which also gives a good chance of a useful item, I know 6 is perfect and increases chances but for most you really only need 5 good stats.

10. Nostalgia

Nostalgia IncGamers Member

I'm gonna give up a secret to all my incgamer forum peoples... but keep it quiet...

MF ROCKS! I run around Act 2 farming with 250 MF.

My stats are 35k dps, 30k hp, 700 all resist, 1400 LOH, 5% life steal, 45% crit, like 300% crit damage. (I need more hp)

The BEST place to farm (shhh secret) is the act 2 quest dungeon vault of the assasin. I'm not kidding this dungeon is some of the EASIEST mobs in the game (skele swordsman, skele archers, caster skellies, the spin to win "mages") Seriously this place has like 9-12 champion mobs and the best part is that the dungeon has a "checkpoint" at the beginning so when you find it clear it, clear a bit of other stuff in the act with out reseting your checkpoint and then restart the game. You reset your stacks but save time having to find the vault again.

I average about 2 full inventory's of rares per run with this method.

Start game in vault of the assasin -> clear whole dungeon, be sure to check every side room (its a big circle so easy to do a full clear, no peskey dead ends)
    Go to path to oasis waypoitn and jump into the sewer where u can find 2-3 champs with out reseting your checkpoint.
    port back to town and go to oasis WP and run around the zone (dont do the quest dungeon for it will reset your Checkpoint, as well dont go past the middle of the map, checkpoit as well) clear all random dungeons esspecially the treasure crypts.
    You can choose to rince and repeat or keep looking for more places to MF, up to you.

SHHH! keep this a secret, vault of the assasin is magically amazing 9-12 EASY champions is awesome!

11. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

125 base MF for farming A2, ~75 base MF when in A3+.

12. Spankalot

Spankalot IncGamers Member

~120 base MF, swap some pieces out for goblins to around 280mf. Seems to be decent.

13. Muggs

Muggs Clan Officer - US West Hardcore

What you don't know and can't account for is what the base % of drop is from a mob.

if a monster has a 4% chance to drop a 6-affix rare item and you have +50% magic find, it now has a 6% chance to drop that item.

So until you know what the base percentage of a mob to drop what your farming act1 with 280% mf is a possible exercise in futility. I can say this with certaintity I have gotten better drops running act3 with no MF besides NV than I ever did in act1 with a ton of MF. And this is coming from a person who currently has 71million in the bank.

Also kill speed has to be taken into account too.

To the OP It really depends on my mood on how much MF I decide to run. I can get up to around 200% after NV and still feel like I am killing at a decent enough speed to not die of boredom. But I truely love killing and clearing as fast as possible. Currently sitting at 70kdps on my DW Fury barb or 58k with a sheild.

14. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

63 rares have ~double chance to drop in act 3 compared to act 2 and ~4x chance to drop compared to act 1.

We don't know the ratios of 6 property 63 rares, unfortunately, but if (and that's a rather big "if") they follow the same ratio, you need 175% MF to make act 2 farming as effective as farming act 3 at the same speed. If you farm faster then you should of course take that into account too.

The real question is what the actual chances of 6 property rares, how important they are (as after all 4 property rares can be pretty damn good too), and what about 62s, and then of course if getting 175% MF is actually easier or more difficult than getting gear that can allow you to clear act 3 equally fast.

15. Doppel

Doppel Banned

I'm primarly running with a 0% MF, 140k (after Insanity) DW Barb. I also love killing quickly like Muggs does. I might consider doing the switcheroo but most battles are quite hectic and over before i know it. I do desperately want to drop some good items for a change though.
    (Last run i had one champion drop two level 60+ unique weapons at once, good for about 160k gold i guess since they're utterly useless)

16. Peter

Peter IncGamers Member

MF IS POINTLESS unless you can farm act4, because of the base % a mob has to drop ilvl 61+ items

e.g. you could stack 4000% mf and it wouldnt come close to simply .. getting better gear and farming higher ilvl mobs.

p.s. im talking about endgame gear, if u want a lot of ilvl 59-61 rares, by all means farm your brains out in act2

17. Peter

Peter IncGamers Member

many people simply do not understand this simple concept muggs

read my post above for more clarification

18. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

Unfortunately, if you can kill elites in A2 twice as fast as you can in A3, you're better off farming A2; as galzohar has pointed out in other threads, you're finding the same number of ilvl 63 items while finding more ilvl 62 items and nearly twice as many ilvl 61 items. You're also probably doing this, in my experience, with greater safety and more magic find. That MF increases the quality of your drops, making them more valuable on average per drop, thus moving the advantage even more towards farming easier content with more MF if you can farm that much faster in an earlier act.

19. Doppel

Doppel Banned

I toned back my damage to go with a more sturdy build and went with the switcheroo just before enemy death tactic. Not a huge amount of MF yet though (i just scraped together some mediocer MF gear i had lying around) but i have to say i'm quite pleased with the results so far (dropped my first Set item, Tal's chest).
    I think it might be the optimal way to farm regardless of what act you're in, unless you can afford to forgo survivability for MF on your main gear (pure ranged glasscannon character). Unfortunate maybe since switching gear in mid battle really shouldn't be a deciding factor of the game.
    I'm farming Act 2 btw, even with more then above average Inferno gear i still have huge troubles in Act 3+. I believe there really isn't a point in going through the bother of trying to farm a later Act when it takes 3 to 4 times longer.

20. Peter

Peter IncGamers Member

i dont wantt o flat out say youa re wrong but form testing it seems

a1 - 1/10 are ilvl 63
    a2 - 2 / 10 are ilvl63
    a3 - 4 / 10
    a4 - 8 / 10

so you see it double every act so farming act2 in no way gives u more 63 per hour unless u can clear it 8 times as fast, and in endgame gear a3 clear is as fast and smooth as an a1 clear