Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

How much IAS do I need?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Deven, May 30, 2013. | Replies: 7 | Views: 3302

1. Deven

Deven IncGamers Member

I checked the thread with all the charts, but I'm not exactly sure how to read them properly. Anyways, I was just wondering how much IAS would I need to hit the cap with Grand Matron Brand while using Strafe as my primary attack? I'm thinking about using a Faith merc, but could someone tell me how much IAS I would need with and without the merc?
  2. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

3. Taxes

Taxes IncGamers Member

Depends what you consider max IAS, it has been suggested that x/2 does not exist server-side, which makes 9/3 gmb the fastest effective possible speed.

To reach 9/3 on gmb you need 80 IAS exactly, and since fanaticism on merc gives you 31-33 ias depending on its level, you need 47 - 49 IAS from other sources, aka 50 IAS.

So without fana: 80 ias
    with fana: 50 ias
  4. Deven

Deven IncGamers Member

How many people actually believe that x/2 doesn't exist server side? Would I suffer any diminishing returns by trying to hit x/2? How much more IAS would be needed? Thanks!
  5. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

The server-client discrepancy has been tested and proven. Trying to hit x/2 requires piling up a crapload of IAS instead of more balanced gear choices. Either way, it doesn't help you. Let it be a load off of your mind that you don't have build your characters around tons of IAS gear.
  6. Taxes

Taxes IncGamers Member

should have included link in my first post, but for some reason i forgot.
    this is a link to the discussion and testing of x/2 on the amazon basin: http://www.theamazonbasin.com/d2/forums/index.php?showtopic=77351
    As clervis says, it has been tested and proven as well as can be done, if you want to go for higher IAS breakpoints, you must use another skill than strafe to get any use from it. Also strafe has different breakpoints than regular attacks or other abilities, so the breakpoints arent the same.

I personally was unable to find any strafe builds dated later than the conclusion of no-x/2, so i dont know what the opinion is on end game viability, but i am also gonna give it a shot :)

good luck
  7. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

You are never really going to be using strafe by itself. You will also be using multi shot often, and some amount of magic arrow, guided arrow, or if you are making an elemental build, freezing arrow, etc. So better check the normal attack speed. It's much more important than strafe which is maxed out anyway with fanaticism aura.
  8. onderduiker

onderduiker IncGamers Member

When firing a bow continuously, Strafe's maximum attack rate against 2-9 targets (averaging 3.125 frames per arrow) requires 50 EIAS and level 28-31 Strafe (minimum 9 arrows); maximum attack rate against 10 targets (3.25/arrow) requires 58 EIAS, but this is only ~3.85% faster than 50 EIAS and level 28-31 Strafe. Maximum attack rate against a single target (5/arrow) can be reached with 50 EIAS and level 8-11 (minimum 4 arrows) or level 28-31 Strafe, or 58 EIAS and level 1-3 Strafe (minimum 2 arrows).

So against all but the maximum 10 targets, 50 EIAS and level 28-31 Strafe will achieve maximum attack rate. This corresponds to the first of the bugged Strafe IAS Breakpoints (Bow), which means a Grand Matron Bow requires the following:

• 120 IAS without Fanaticism
    • 39 IAS with level 12 Fanaticism
    • 37 IAS with level 13 Fanaticism
    • 35 IAS with level 14-15 Fanaticism
    Unfortunately, Strafe's attack rate is even more complicated than widely believed, due to the desynchronisation between client and server, number of arrows and its next delay. For more detail consult the Amazon Basin Diablo II wiki's Amazon attack rate page and the analysis reported in the Crushing Blow and Strafe topic, from this post onwards.

TitanSeal's attack speed calculator is more up-to-date and comprehensive, although it omits the bugged Strafe breakpoints. I don't know whether this was because of the mistaken belief that these breakpoints were not faster (or not significantly faster), or because they were too complicated and omitted for the sake of simplicity.

As noted above, when firing a bow continuously 9/3 (5/3/7) with 38 EIAS is not Strafe's maximum attack rate: level 28-31 Strafe (minimum 9 arrows) and 38 EIAS averages 33/9 or ~3.67 frames per arrow while 50 EIAS averages 3.125/arrow when firing on 2-9 targets, which is ~17.33% faster. For comparison purposes, a 7 frame normal Attack is ~14.29% faster than an 8 frame Attack, while an 8 frame Attack is 12.5% faster than a 9 frame Attack.

9/3 requires 38 EIAS which translates to 80 IAS when using a Grand Matron Bow (weapon speed 10). However, level 12-15 Fanaticism's +31-33% attack speed can be subtracted from 38 EIAS directly, resulting in 5-7 EIAS remaining. Unfortunately, item IAS is converted to EIAS (Effective IAS) by way of a diminishing returns formula:

EIAS = floor( (120 * IAS) / (120 + IAS) )

Floor means the result is rounded down. Since 5-7 EIAS is required, this formula can be rearranged to determine IAS:

IAS = ceiling( 120 * EIAS / (120 - EIAS) )

Ceiling means the result is rounded up. So 5-7 EIAS is equivalent to 6-8 IAS.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2013