Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How has MP been treating you?

Discussion in 'Witch Doctor' started by VagrantKing, Oct 17, 2012. | Replies: 15 | Views: 13886

1. VagrantKing

VagrantKing IncGamers Member

I'm just trying to gauge how other WDs are faring and essentially whats needed for the higher MP levels.

For ref: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Fenrir-2588/hero/11460816

So far I've only tried MP5 and able to trudge along just fine going solo with a few deaths. I'm probably going to try some higher levels soon.

I switched SW-Jaunt to SW-Honored Guest to keep up my Zombie Bear spam up because mobs have so much life!

PtV does not seem like a good option with MP because Mana runs out so quickly.

I've been liking Blood Ritual but may consider Spiritual Attunement instead.

How have you guys been doing?
  2. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock IncGamers Member

Going smooth, haven't had to make any build changes. I still kill fast enough for GI/GF to be very effective on MP4. I thought my kill speed was going to slow down a lot more, but was pleasantly surprised. At your dps, taking both SA and BR would be better than GI/GF for higher MP levels.
  3. Porkchopsamwich

Porkchopsamwich IncGamers Member

I like the pickup radius increase you've got going on there, that's a great thing to have for a witch doc! Personally, I lose quite a lot of speed around MP4 but I was taking a more defensive stance with my build. Also, the gear I was able to accumulate before this patch got me going in a high HP direction, which is great for pets but left my DPS around the 40k mark with 79-81k HP depending on a few interchangeable gear pieces.
    I've still got around the same damage output, but I swapped to a different build. I'm having trouble with the B.net stuff so I can't get to my profile for some reason, but I'll describe the major skill changes.

Zombie bears is the big DPS skill, as you are well aware of, but my method for keeping up my mana regen is a something I hadn't done before.

edit: B.net works now, here's my build and such http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/MagicJohnson-1447/hero/2210274
    my passive skills are grave injustice, spiritual attunement and vision quest. This alone can grant pretty quick mana regen when you get the vision quest running, but something that took it over the top was that I started using the haunt skill rune that returns some 20 mana per second when it's hitting someone.

I've checked to see if the mana regen stat in the character screen updates with haunt in action, but it doesn't register on there (but it's clear by watching the mana pool that it is working.) i don't know if vision quest increases that return or not, but if you haunt multiple people I think the benefit happens for every haunted monster. I've been able to spam zombie bears almost as effectively as I was with the old school vision quest.

DPS has been the limiting factor for the middle monster power levels, but I'm sure defense will need a pickup in the higher ones with the significant damage increase from monsters.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  4. deya

deya IncGamers Member

I can clear up to MP5 with high speed @ ~~ 100k unbuffed DPS.

Basic Bears with GI/GF/SH to speed things up.

When I go above MP5 or I play Multiplayer games with MP5 or more, my mana drains and I feel my bears doesn't do any damage at all.
  5. MCPWTB

MCPWTB IncGamers Member

I'm definitely looking for 2hander builds for higher MP levels. I'm not sure if I can do it efficiently, but if I can, I'd like to try it out, even if only once.

@Porkchop samwich:
    Try replacing VQ with Blood Ritual. BR scales with attack speed. You only have a bonus of 11 mana per second from items, so 56 mana per second, so VQ doesn't provide enough mana regen to be worth it.

Haunt doesn't appear to synergize with VQ, or else I'd actually recommend VQ. Too bad, but I guess that'd be pretty powerful.
    I also want to try out Haunt for mana regen, but I have to think about it more.

I tried out MP5 immediately and I noted the white enemies were hurting me a lot more than before.
    I tried out MP4 and noted they had more HP and damage, but I was able to do it just fine. It was the final act bosses that had more HP and I couldn't drop them efficiently, I had to avoid Az's puddles and the Butcher's fire pits, because they just wouldn't die fast enough. The intermediate bosses have still been all too easy because I do enough damage.

I've been experimenting with sacrifice mana rune, zombie dogs health globe runes, and circle of life passive (30% chance to summon dog). Iirc, while killing stuff, zombie dogs pop up and replace the old dog, which causes a chance to drop a health globe. I don't have any ZD cooldown reduction and don't really see a need for it except in extreme cases, although it would be fun. I replaced BBV mana rune with mass confusion damage rune, since I won't be trying to kill act bosses anymore while running mp4/5. I could kill the Warden in act 1 and Cydea in act 3, for example, with this build and items:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/MCP-1477/
    Seems like my profile is not up to date:
    ZB, sacrifice, sw jaunt, sh damage rune, mass confusion damage rune, and summon zombie dogs with health globe rune.
    GI/GF/Circle of Life

The only thing is I don't like NOT having SV passive. I died twice to maniacs in act 3 last run.

When I run into a big group of trash: Sacrifice, SH, bears, and usually I will have 3 dogs already. This is nice in a big room in, for instance, the keep level 2, where I can keep rolling and sacrifice as soon as I run into a new group, topping off my mana. Before I was at the mercy of health globes for GF to refill my mana, I actually ended up using a primary attack eventually when I got OOM. But now I have enough mana that I don't have any problems, except act bosses.
    For elites: Mass Confusion, SH, bears until OOM, sacrifice, resummom, bears until OOM, sacrifice, bears until OOM. If trash is near by, I can get away with more sacrifices because I get free dogs. Most of the map I don't even use the summon dogs skill, they just re-appear when I kill stuff. This way I can save it for elites.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  6. VagrantKing

@doctor clock
    I think I agree that Grave Injustice may not be as effective in higher MPs. I'll test out Spiritual Attunement/Blood Ritual/Gruesome Feast. This combo should give me mana for days.

@deya
    I tried out mp6 and felt the same way about zombie bears. It's doable but going progression is slow and not worth it yet. mind if you post your profile link?

@MCPWTB
    Very interesting build. Skipping a main attack and relying on dogs for mana. I might test this out. I think I read about a similar build which focuses on reducing Summon Zombie Dog cooldown (Visage, Homonculus, etc) to almost eliminate the cooldown altogether.
  7. MCPWTB

MCPWTB IncGamers Member

I think some reduce summon zombie dogs is good.
    I would never go for homunculus, not that you can find it in inferno anymore: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/homunculus
    But an SOJ, a helm, and skull graps ring that can all reduce ZD cooldown by up to 8.

Skull graps: 1 to 7 seconds reduction
    SOJ: 1 to 8 seconds reduction
    Helm: Visage of Guyaya can do 1 to 9 seconds, so I assume any voodoo mask can.
    Mara's ammy: 1 to 8 seconds (Not a very good item unless it has changed to include extra magic properties)

With three of the above you might get:
    Average would be 4*3 = 12 seconds and up to 8*3 = 24 seconds.
    45 - 24 = 21 seconds.
    45 *.75 - 21 seconds = 12.75 seconds with tribal rights.

If you can get it down to 1 second, I think that's plenty.

edit: I asked, and zero seconds CD is required for best damage/second.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  8. andrern

andrern IncGamers Member

For solo MP4 have been feeling good. If I ever chose MP6-8 it will begin to get challenging, but not worth the time for farm, so I'm staying at MP4/5 now.
  9. deya

deya IncGamers Member

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/deya-2185/hero/11768498

There you go, I actually changed some stuff around and bought budjet weapon+zuni ring+zuni offhand to get my mana regen numbers up (used to have only from thing of the deep). Also changed GI for BR and now I can spam bears like a boss. The improved mana regen helps so much in higher MP levels where the fights lasts longer since I can keep my damage rolling.

I lost around 20k screen dps and it prolly hurts if I want to farm on lower MP's (i used to instagib stuff before) but right now when farming keys, I want to be able to run MP7 to get them coming constantly.

Life leech also seems to be extremely good. I'm looking for better weapon but people are asking insane prices for Manajuma's Carving Knifes atm. The weapon I bought costed 1,2mil and gets the job done better than the spear I used to have which did a lot more damage. (1040 dps 342int socket).
  10. MCPWTB

MCPWTB IncGamers Member

Hey, I also tried a different approach for higher MP settings around Spirit Barrage Well of Souls (WoS) and Rush of Essence/Blood Ritual.

I was using RoE, BR, WoS, Bears, SW Mana regen rune, SH 60s rune, mass confusion damage rune, and BBV damage rune. The last passive I floated around between SA, GI, and SV. (!@#$ing maniacs in keep 2)

At mp4, it was noticeably slower than bears, gi, gf, sh. Pretty obvious actually, it just is slower.
    At mp5/6 and mp5 multiplayer, I was doing alright. With the bears/gi/gf/sacrifice builds, I was going OOM too often.

I also tried a WoS and acid cloud slow burn in mp5 multiplayer. I added a LoH ammy just to see, not sure if it was worthwhile though, I was doing fine in act 3 stonefort/keep. BUT, I needed more mana regen to cast slow burn every 6 seconds. Either SA or mana regen on my helm worked out for that.

This was all for sustainability at higher MP levels.
  11. MCPWTB

MCPWTB IncGamers Member

How to use Spirit Barrage Well of Souls:
    http://diablo.incgamers.com/

12. PhoeniX Skye

PhoeniX Skye IncGamers Member

Anyone key/uber farming at mp7 or higher? If so can you please post your character? Just seeing what I need to hit for DPS vit armor and ar... thanks!
  13. VagrantKing

14. Wurmer

Wurmer IncGamers Member

I mostly farm at MP0-MP1 for quick easy runs. I have tried different MP and I am not encountering much difficulties till MP5. I find the jump pretty steep from MP4-MP5. My WD doesn't have enough DPS for MP5 and up but I keep on working on it.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Wurmer-1561/hero/16316161

I need some serious Gold to improve upon what I am currently using and gold is pretty damn hard to come by of late, nothing is selling.
  15. Dogbert

Dogbert IncGamers Member

16. PearlJamaholic

PearlJamaholic IncGamers Member

Is it just me or is Act 2 the toughest? Ive recently moved up to MP1 for key runs then doing one of the bosses that has higher drop rates for plans, and i can run Act 1 and 3 fine without any issue. Act 2 i die sometimes just trying to get 5NV, and 50% on the keywarden. I died more times on my first key run in act 2 then i did in all my act one runs to until i got the key.