Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How does "Combination Strike" work?

Discussion in 'Monk' started by Doppel, Apr 24, 2012. | Replies: 15 | Views: 11158

1. Doppel

Doppel Banned

How does "Combination Strike" work?

Combination Strike

Do you think this means that if i for example use Fists of Thunder and Deadly Reach in quick succession, that i benefit from a stacked damage boost of 16%?

2. redrach

redrach IncGamers Member

Re: How does "Combination Strike" work?

That seems like the most likely possibility, with all your ensuing damage multiplied by 1.16.
    It could also be 1.08 * 1.08 = 1.1664, with a separate damage buff per spirit generator when you have that passive learned. That would actually be nicer, since you get increasing benefits for each spirit generator you add in. Nearly 26% boost with 3, instead of just 24%.

Even then I don't think it's as good as some of the other passives, tbh.

3. Doppel

Doppel Banned

I was thinking a rather gimmicky build that almost exclusively uses combo's of spirit generators.

4. WD pimpin summons

WD pimpin summons IncGamers Member

There are only four spirit generators left, but the passive still seems good. If you cycle the generators and use mantra of conviction you get a pretty good damage increase.

5. Torr

Torr IncGamers Member

I don't think it stacks... usually effects that stack say so in thier description. I would assume it gives you a flat 8% damage buff, on a 3 second timer that resets every time you use two different generators in a row.

6. redrach

redrach IncGamers Member

The passive's pretty worthless if that's the case.

7. Doppel

Doppel Banned

Then that word "different" seems to be quite unnecessary in that sentence.

8. Such Violent Storms

Such Violent Storms IncGamers Member

More like the word "each"

For each ->......-> +8%

9. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

I always wondered though, is there a cap for this bonus? 8% extra damage per combo skill seems really low, if you consider how much you have to sacrifice for it in your skill setup. What's really puzzling is that this passive unlocks at level 50. By that time, you have much better options to increase your damage output for much lower costs.

I think it's possible, that Combination Strike only cares about the last combo skill that you've used, so you can stack the bonus with just two generators until you reach a cap. Since its duration is really short, the cap may be high. It's not like you can hold onto the bonus for very long. You will do a finishing move with it as soon as you could or need it.

10. Doppel

Doppel Banned

I wasn't really looking at Combination Strike as the reason to sacrifice a lot of good skills. I was more thinking about a character that plays a bit like a beat em up using combo's of Spirit Generators followed with a finishing move, and this passive seemed to fit that playstyle well.

I hope Combination Strike works like this:
    If you use one Spirit Generator then you benefit from a 8% damage boost for the next 3 seconds (which is ok i think, but not brilliant).
    If within those 3 seconds you use a "different" Spirit Generator then that bonus stacks to 16% (if it's additive, but lets assume it is for simplicity sake, it won't make much of a difference anyways if it would be multiplicative) and the 3 second timer get's refreshed.
    If within those 3 seconds you use yet another "different" Spirit Generator then another 8% increased damage will be added to form 24% increased damage and the timer will refresh again.
    Lastly, if within those 3 seconds you use the fourth and last Spirit Generator then the increased damage bonus increases to it's maximum 32% damage to all attacks for the next 3 seconds.
    So, to recap, you basically would have 12 seconds to cycle through the 4 different Spirit Generators if you want to benefit from a 32% increased damage bonus. And if it works like this, then i'm hoping using a Spirit Spender doesn't reset your damage bonus back to zero (there's nothing implying it would).

Anyways, if it works like this then i was thinking about a melee themed beat em up character that uses 3 Spirit Generators (for a maximum of 24% enhanced damage from Combination Strike) with a Spirit Spending finisher.
    Something like this (If you add it all together that's 63% increased damage)

Edit: Now that i read the description again i think it might only trigger when using atleast two different Spirit Generators. (So that would then mean 8% with 2, 16% with 3, and 24% with 4) Hmmm. lol

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  11. HardRock

My idea wouldn't prevent you from making a build like that of course, but 4 combo skills wouldn't be required to reach 32% (or potentially more) bonus damage.

Sacrificing one passive and 4 active slots for 32% extra damage seems a like horribly bad trade-off to me, which is why I think there may be more to Combination Strike.

12. Doppel

Doppel Banned

Like i said, i didn't look at Combination Strike as a reason to "sacrifice" anything, only as a bonus (and hopefully one more then just 8%) to a build i was already looking at.

13. HardRock

Alright, I just wanted to clarify that I wasn't critiquing your build. My reply was about Combination Strike in a more general sense and wasn't necessarily about your build. :)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  14. emiliorf

emiliorf IncGamers Member

Doppel,

Very nice build, I made one similar to it and prior to posting I decided to check existing threads, nice that I found it so no need to duplicate. I'd just play a little different in that I'd focus on getting more bonus from the generators. Something like this

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#bWUiZk!gUW!ccZZZa

Deadly reach for the 30s bonus, then Cripling wave for the 3s bonus and hundred fists for the extra speed. I think this would play nicely and would demand good atention to maximize it.

15. Torr

Torr IncGamers Member

Hmm well.. everyone seems to think it stacks. Maybe it does, I just never thought it did because every other stackable skill stated it implicitly. Guess we wont really know until we can play with it. I can't imagine that you could alternate between 2 generators to make it stack, because that would make it OP... I suppose it could stack with several different generators like others have mentioned but I never thought of it doing that. Even so it seems like alot to give up. To get more than 8% out of it, you need 3-4 generators. That leaves you with 2-3 active slots left to spend your spirit. I'm personally leaning towards 1 generator and 5 spenders (with 3 of those spenders being non-negotiable).

If it does stack then it has some real potential but I don't think it's the passive for me.

16. Doppel

Doppel Banned

:D I know but you don't have to look at it like a sacrifice from a general standpoint either imo. Even if it's just a 8% damage boost, then that's still 8% more then any other passive. Unless it does really require to use atleast two Spirit Generators to get the 8% bonus, then that would really suck lol.

@ emiliorf: Don't forget that Deadly Reach's effect is only on the third hit so it might be optimal to use a different opener. I don't think mine is very optimal yet either since i've seem to have overseen some skillrunes like Scattered Blows (damn, that's a lot of ss's).

@ Torr: Yeah, this build wasn't really ment as the sort of build you would first use when playing D3.