Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

How do you think the passive One With Everything will play out? de

Discussion in 'Monk' started by Such Violent Storms, Mar 29, 2012. | Replies: 25 | Views: 4710

1. Such Violent Storms

Such Violent Storms IncGamers Member

How do you think the passive One With Everything will play out?

One With Everything - "Your resistance to all elements is equal to your highest elemental resistance."
    In summary this passive allows a monk to pile up one resistance from items instead of finding items with "+20 to all resistances."

One question is, well, how common are large single-res bonuses compared to all-res bonuses? If you're using a bunch of inferno/hell items and they all give "+all res" then there's no point in going out of your way to find single res bonuses. On the flip side if there's good items for a Monk that give large single-res bonuses (think Andariel's Visage from D2) then One With Everything instantly becomes very very useful.

If OWE allows a Monk to free up space for items that may not provide resistances, but provide a ton of damage, then OWE could become a staple passive.

Do you think OWE will be extremely useful in late game? In early game? Is it worth excluding it for another passive: perhaps a passive vital to a build strategy, or something like Seize The Initiative?
  2. Autti

Autti IncGamers Member

Re: How do you think the passive One With Everything will play out?

you also have to balance that with how much intelligence you will have, and also dodge chance which will be very high with a Monk.

Because intelligence increases you're resistance anyway, if you are wearing items with large amounts of intelligence then all your resistances will be high already. Although i'm not sure if they are doing the hell -100 resist mechanic ala D2.

Also with dodge chance, when it comes to actual damage sustained it might not be worth it. Sure get 10% higher resist, but with a dodge of 50% it lowers the total effect of the 10% extra resist, also diminishing returns when at high levels.

Unless you are wearing specific items that give you a lot of one resist and no +all, i doubt it will be that useful compared to some of the other passives.

Edit: there will be a few calculations to make for passive choices. Like the choice between The Guardians Path +15% dodge while dual weilding
    and Sixth Sense, your dodge chance is increased by 30% of your critical hit chance. So at any time you have above 50% crit chance, Sixth Sense becomes a better option.
  3. Chaboi

Chaboi IncGamers Member

There is still much to see, however if you look at rings in diablo 2, the frostburn (i think thats what it was) had like 50% cold resistance. Using that, if you have a total of 75 resist all amongst your other pieces + 50 from the ring, the buff works quite well.

I look at it understanding that picking up an item that only has 1 form of resistance will make me better regardless of the resistances on my other gear.
  4. ElementEight

ElementEight IncGamers Member

Pretty sure you mean Ravenfrost.

Anyway, here's a demonstration of how I think it works:

Your resists:

0/0/0/0/0

You grab 50% cold resist

Anyone else's would be at 50/0/0/0/0

You'd be at 50/50/50/50/50

5. Coolhwip

Coolhwip IncGamers Member

The skill will still not protect you from poison damage. It only works on arcane, lightning, fire and cold.
  6. ElementEight

Good catch. Let's just act like my 5th /50 was Holy damage (which is included in Arcane iirc)

7. Coolhwip

Holy is not an element either. I forgot about that one too. They worded it carefully so as to not make monk v monk pvp battles a bore fest battle of who has the most stacked resistance.
  8. Torr

Torr IncGamers Member

I'm always wondering about holy damage, as I don't see the obvious benefit to a skill like Wave of Light over something like SSS. But if Holy damage is relatively unresistable, then Wave of Light is an excellent skill for high level. I do wonder though whether there is a kind of Holy resistance similar to Damage Reduction in D2 that certain creatures might possess.

Is it confirmed that One With Everything works against Arcane? I remember having a debate about this before where some people put forward the notion that it might only affect the "classic" elements of lightning, fire, and cold. I don't follow monk information religiously (get it? religiously?) so perhaps I missed a confirmation on this.
  9. ElementEight

10. Coolhwip

I stand corrected.

This begs the question though: Is arcane really an element? I personally don't think so which is why they paired it with holy, so I'm with Torr on that. Someone that knows for sure, please chime in.
  11. Such Violent Storms

To my knowledge "resistances" in One With Everything means the elemental damage types, all five, which are Cold/Fire/Lightning/Poison and Arcane/Holy, which are one in the same. You have to remember that Poison is not like it is in D2. Poison is a type of damage, and as Bashiok recently said, paraphrased: "Poison can be a DoT, but Poison is not inherently a DoT."

So if I find a +30 to Fire Resistance rare Amulet and +40 to Fire Resistance Rare gloves, One With Everything sets all 5 of my resistances, as seen on the character sheet posted in the quote, to 70... I think. That can be very, very awesome.

As far as Intelligence goes: I don't think the general Monk will focus very much in Intelligence. It gives +0.1 to resistance per point (subject to change). So I think the general Monk is better off:
    1) pumping the hell out of Dexterity
    2) then having massive armor from Seize The Initiative
    3) covering the resistance problem with One With Everything, OR not using OWE and just letting it slide with whatever "+all res" you get from your legendaries and the dodge chance with Dexterity

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  12. Valkemen

Valkemen IncGamers Member

Your resistance to all elements is equal to your highest elemental resistance.

This means that the One with Everything could only work on 3 of 5 types of magical damage. It's good to know that a similar thing take place in D2, where paladin's Aura of Salvation only protects against dmg of the elements (fire/cold/lightning) and does not include poisons.

Elemental attacks - for me - are: fire, cold, lightning.

Description of this skill says only about fire and cold: Ice hunters brave months of frozen darkness. Desert traders bear relentless, scorching sun. This world is ours to endure.
  13. Jedouard

Jedouard IncGamers Member

I doubt it will work this way, not because of some flaw in your argument, but because it goes against the grandma-friendly approach. I think plenty of players will assume elemental just means not physical, instead of not physical, not poison, not arcane. If the devs wanted to get that specific with it, I think they would have just listed it in the UI, e.g. "Your resistance to cold, fire and lightning is equal to your highest resistance to any of these three elements."

14. Crane

Crane IncGamers Member

I think that this passive will be necessary or reallllly helpful for just starting hell or inferno, but once you have powerful gear players will trade it in for something to help them kill faster. Probably like salvation was for paladins in D2 - only used when you're really having some issues surviving.
  15. Autti

Autti IncGamers Member

someone ask Bashiok for clarification?

I don't think it will be that useful compared to other passives.
  16. Mogram

Mogram IncGamers Member

I think it's funny that people think it'll be that easy to stack a single resistance. The only way to do this would be to prioritize that resistance to the detriment of all other desirable affixes.

Of course, this is all speculation until we know the exact mechanics, and how they are handled in Inferno.
  17. Such Violent Storms

I know the skill says "all elements" but it can easily be a flourish; chocolate flavor text, or simply a mis-communication in the skill description. I think the skill could just as naturally say "your resistances are equal to your highest elemental resistance," and in D3 your resistances are the five listed.

Even if it only effects fire/cold/lightning, if it's early game (End of Normal-ish) and you find ANY of the 3 listed on an item, OWE allows you to not care any more about the other 2 resistances for a while. I'm also thinking if you're against a boss that does one elemental damage type, but you only have an item with resistance to another, OWE solves that problem.

The idea is that although stacking one resistance may be minorly detrimental, it simultaneously allows you to not worry about the others. If all your resistances are set to 70, then you don't need to find items with +all res or +every other res, and can instead focus on +dexterity, +critical hit damage, etc.

18. Mogram

Mogram IncGamers Member

The question comes down to how important resistances will be in comparison to other damage mitigation. Assume that you select gear ignoring completely elemental resistance. Assuming that elemental resistance affixes all have the same chance to roll, once you get a mix of blues and rares on you'll probably have a pretty even distribution of all resistances. My point being that your gear would look quite different if you prioritize resistance. It's a tradeoff no matter how you look at it.Keep in mind also that killing quicker is one of the best defensive strategies. The question *really* becomes how potent will elemental damage be in Inferno? BTW, good point about the boss elemental damage - I'll have to keep that in mind.Of course it should go without saying that whatever we say here is speculation until May 15th.
  19. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

70 resist at level 60 equals 19% damage reduction. That's not much. If your Armor is low, then you'll probably need a lot more than that.

20. ElementEight

Then we must see what the resist values are on level 60 items.